Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Best OS X book management program for PRS-700

What are some good Mac OS X book management programs for the Sony PRS-700? I know there is Calibre but it doesn't deal with what Sony calls "Collections" which are essentially ways to categorise books into various labelling folders.

I don't find Calibre's book management system very elegant and a bit clumsy to manage large collections--no offence to Kovid who has put a lot of hard work into the program.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have a 505 with PS X and am using Calibre. You can do collections using the Tags feature.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

okay, thanks for the "tags" tip. I will try it out.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Not only would I consider Calibre the best OS X management software for the 505, I think it is about the only software! Either way, I've found to be pretty good - at least as good as the eBook Library software from Sony. I like how the software automatically makes books marked as being in a series into a collection on the 505.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
I use Calibre right now as well. Beyond the collections thing - if you know a little about HTML or PDFs - you can actually make your own books with it as well. In that sense, I suppose it's at least one up on the Sony software for the PC - which I only use for DL from Sony.

Cheers,
Josh
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

I don't really want to make my own books. I just wonder how one could effectively use calibre to manage a large library.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
I know there is Calibre but it doesn't deal with what Sony calls "Collections" which are essentially ways to categorise books into various labelling folders.
Actually calibre does support collections.

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_m...he-sony-reader

Clumsy in what way?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
I use Calibre to manage my collection (about 250 books). And, speaking from my personal experience - it is a bit clumsy - but, I also don't open very often; therefore, minor inconvenience.

The database table could have less padding - to see more entries on the screen at one time. IMHO the interface could be re-worked entirely to give an improved User-experience.

Collection (playlist) building could be improved by matching similar organization software users are familiar with (most music players iTunes/WMP for example). Although I do like that I can highlight all the books - and set the collection (except order) in one fell swoop.

That it recognizes duplicate adds (downloaded books added to list) - but doesn't recognize duplicates when uploading to device - messed me up once (doubled up all my books on my device).

Having said that, coming from the WebApp world - when someone mentions "clunky", it's usually an interface issue - and, interface is usually the last thing to really come together nicely. (Windows and MacOS weren't always as easy/nice to figure out.) And, it is the best free app I've seen for the Mac (in fact, of the couple I tried - it was the only that worked straight from DL).

The app has a lot of potential - and I definitely appreciate Kovid's work to date. And look forward to the future.

Cheers,
J
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote