Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
algieb
algieb began at the beginning.

Device: SONY
Port 8080 not free - can't start server

Hi,

I have run the server with no problem on other devices but just moved it to a new machine.

I was previously starting the machine using winserv and had no problems. I have made sure there is no service installed and there is not duplicate process running.

I have VMWare installed and saw the other post about binding the IP Address in Tweaks which didn't work unfortunately. I've uninstalled vmware and no change - it is not find the virtual ip address but still no joy.

I have nothing running on port 8080 - checked with netstat -a and have no other virtual network adapters.

I have tried lots of random ports - whatever I use calibre reports "not free on 192.168.20.3" etc which is the correct IP address for the live adapter.

I've tried changing the bound IP to 0.0.0.0 and 192.168.20.3 and 127.0.0.1 and no joy with any of them.

I have tried installing on a totally separate machine and it is fine.

Read through as many threads as I could around the subject so apologies if I am repeating the question.

Any thoughts gratefully received - just bought a Nexus 7 which I want to connect to the library.
algieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My guess is that you are running windows and your antivirus is blocking calibre. ESET in particular is known to create problems like you describe.

When the content server starts it tries to allocate a port. One test it makes is sending something to the port to check if there is already a listener. The problem antivirus programs will receive all such tests instead of returning an error to calibre, making it look like some program already has the port.

You can test this by starting your machine in safe mode with networking, then starting calibre. If it works, then something on your computer isn't playing nice.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
algieb
algieb began at the beginning.

Device: SONY
It was an Avast (free) update. How rubbish is that?

In Avast free, went to "Settings" -> "Troubleshooting" -> "Redirect Settings" -> "Web".

Removed 8080 from the "HTTP Port(s)" list and done.
algieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by algieb View Post
It was an Avast (free) update. How rubbish is that?

In Avast free, went to "Settings" -> "Troubleshooting" -> "Redirect Settings" -> "Web".

Removed 8080 from the "HTTP Port(s)" list and done.
That is not 'Rubbish' but protection that many (non-savvy) users need.

What may be 'rubbish' is it taking hits and not raising a warning of suspicious activity
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote