Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
PhoenixM
PhoenixM began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Unhappy Mirrored/flipped PDF

Hi all,

Firstly, I wasn't entirely sure whether to put this here or in the forum about conversion, so do move if it's wrong.

I'm just starting out with Calibre. I've been trying to put some documents in my library which are PDF's. They probably have some degree of DRM, but they are licensed and allowed for printing, use on any device etc, by me (I'm a student, and this is what the copyright notice from my university says). The first page is a copyright notice, and then the remaining pages are photocopied pages of books/journals, that have been inputted under license by the uni library. When they go into Calibre, all but the first page (i.e. all the photocopied pages, which it considers to be images) are flipped/mirrored. They're all 90 rotated anyway, which is why they end up mirrored - I think it's a vertical flip that Calibre is doing.

I did/do have some plug-ins to wipe DRM, but I've disabled all of them as I thought that may be the issue. However, it persists. The same documents in Adobe Digital Editions come out fine - it's moving into Calibre that's the issue.

I would like to edit the metadata (as the titles are ridiculous currently, and totally impossible to search/catalogue) and preferably use the button on the metadata edit page to remove the first page, and let Calibre create a title page. However, none of this is as important as being able to read it!!!

I've done some searching, but couldn't find anything about this, just stuff about the same problem when converting from PDF. I don't mind keeping the documents as PDF's (well, at least, I know there isn't another way).

Why is Calibre doing this to my un-converted docs? How can I stop it? Thanks!
PhoenixM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Calibre is not very good at displaying PDFs. Use an external PDF viewer instead of the Calibre ebook viewer. (Set in preferences.)
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixM View Post
I'm just starting out with Calibre. I've been trying to put some documents in my library which are PDF's. They probably have some degree of DRM, but they are licensed and allowed for printing, use on any device etc, by me (I'm a student, and this is what the copyright notice from my university says).
Calibre is great for organizing books in any format.

Quote:
When they go into Calibre, all but the first page (i.e. all the photocopied pages, which it considers to be images) are flipped/mirrored. They're all 90 rotated anyway, which is why they end up mirrored - I think it's a vertical flip that Calibre is doing.
Calibre makes no changes to PDF files when they are added to calibre.

Quote:
it's moving into Calibre that's the issue.
Moving PDF books into calibre causes no alteration to the book.

Quote:
I've done some searching, but couldn't find anything about this, just stuff about the same problem when converting from PDF. I don't mind keeping the documents as PDF's (well, at least, I know there isn't another way).

Why is Calibre doing this to my un-converted docs? How can I stop it? Thanks!
You never say how you are viewing the PDF. The only thing that makes sense is you are using calibre's viewer to view the PDFs. Calibre's viewer is an ePub viewer. Any format other than ePub is given a quick and dirty conversion to a basic epub format then viewed. So your PDF is being converted for viewing.

The solution is not to use the Calibre viewer for PDF files. Go to Preference - Behavior and uncheck the box next to PDF in the Use internal viewer for column. Now when you go to view a PDF book from calibre it will open the PDF in your default PDF viewer and not use calibre's viewer.

Good Reading.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
PhoenixM
PhoenixM began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Brilliant - thanks so much. I didn't realise the reader was converting it out of PDF. Is there a way to get Calibre title pages onto the PDF, without any kind of conversion (and associated mirroring)?
Thanks!
PhoenixM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:53 AM   #5
Tandree
Tandree began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook
Hello, I have the same problem of mirrored text. I could not find where are Preferences-Behavior in Calibre 64bits.
Tandree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:08 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandree View Post
Hello, I have the same problem of mirrored text. I could not find where are Preferences-Behavior in Calibre 64bits.
Ctrl+P then:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-19 190440.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	186042

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-19 190548.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	186043

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:52 AM   #7
Tandree

Thanks! It was unchecked by default. Now I am converting the PDF into EPUB, I will see the result in half an hour.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:19 AM   #8
Tandree

The same problem! All the pages except the cover are mirrored.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:45 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
See the sticky at the top of the Conversion forum list.
Simple Summary: PDF is a terrible source format

Calibre supplied the EPUB cover from the Libraries metadata, All the rest was from the PDF.
Could it be the PDF Language is RTL (or incorrectly set LTR) ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:58 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This will be a PDF of page scans that probably use a PDf grpahics operator to flip the page images. Your best bet is to flip the images yourselfin the edit book tool post conversion.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:54 AM   #11
Tandree

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This will be a PDF of page scans that probably use a PDf grpahics operator to flip the page images. Your best bet is to flip the images yourselfin the edit book tool post conversion.
How can I do that, can you explain in details, please?
Old 03-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How can I do that, can you explain in details, please?
I could not find a mirror-flip tool in the edit image part of the Editor. Only a Rotate (in 90 steps).
SO
You will need to use a 3rd party tool and touch each image.
Paint (Windows 7-10) can do this. don't let the name Rotate (tool) confuse you in this case. the choices include Flip Horizontal
To do this:
Select your book (EPUB)in the Library: Tap 'U'(npack) (only works on EPUB or AZW3): Click Explode: Now you see the OS file manager.
NOTE:NEVER CHANGE A NAME OR EXTENSION WHILE EXPLODED
More than likely, those will be in the Images folder.
set View As Large Icons so you get the idea of the content.
Right Click: Edit :<do your flip thing and save/quit>
Repeat as needed for additional Images.
close PAINT and the file manger.

Last Step: in the 'Unpack' window: Click REBUILD
Old 03-25-2021, 10:41 AM   #13
Tandree

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I could not find a mirror-flip tool in the edit image part of the Editor. Only a Rotate (in 90 steps).
SO
You will need to use a 3rd party tool and touch each image.
Paint (Windows 7-10) can do this. don't let the name Rotate (tool) confuse you in this case. the choices include Flip Horizontal
To do this:
Select your book (EPUB)in the Library: Tap 'U'(npack) (only works on EPUB or AZW3): Click Explode: Now you see the OS file manager.
NOTE:NEVER CHANGE A NAME OR EXTENSION WHILE EXPLODED
More than likely, those will be in the Images folder.
set View As Large Icons so you get the idea of the content.
Right Click: Edit :<do your flip thing and save/quit>
Repeat as needed for additional Images.
close PAINT and the file manger.

Last Step: in the 'Unpack' window: Click REBUILD
Thank you very much, I did it page by page, all of the book. All the text pages were PNG, I don't know why.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thank you very much, I did it page by page, all of the book. All the text pages were PNG, I don't know why.
Publisher choice for Images.
Those were basically photocopies of the pages
Old 03-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #15
Tandree

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Publisher choice for Images.
Those were basically photocopies of the pages
Yes, the book was photocopied in a printing services shop and saved in PDF file. Obviously the book must be scanned and treated with OCR software.