Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Touch just upgraded to 2.3.1 and what a mess

Just had the KT upgrade to 2.3.1 and it would not go into sleep mode either by the slider or by time.

The home button wouldn't work either.

Tried a normal reset, no go, so had on line chat with Kobo support.

Had to do a factory reset, luckily, (I thought), all my books were on the memory card.

Anyway, after the factory reset I couldn't even get into my Kobo account, didn't recognise my email or anything, so had to register again with the same email.

That done, I had took the card out, just in case, and loaded a book on using Calibre, at least now it slept, and the home button worked.

Turned it off, put card back in, no books.

Turned it off again, back on again, now it says it's "processing content" which is taking forever as I assume it's going through all the books on the card or something.

Nightmare.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Processing books can take a while if you have many on the card. I hope it correctly processes all your books and that you don't encounter the sleep and home button issues afterwards.

If you do, there is a bug fix firmware (2.3.2) available here, however
- manually upgrading firmware is not officially supported by Kobo
- you'll have to be sure which firmware version you need. "Touch" version for all 'old' model Touches; "Glo/Mini" version for all 'new' model Touches...
- I'm not sure if the firmware bugs you are describing are fixed in 2.3.2
- you could also downgrade back to 2.1.5, as many people have done and are happy with
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

How on earth do you know what is "old" and what is "new"?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
How on earth do you know what is "old" and what is "new"?
Good question. No idea.

If you bought the Touch way before the Glo came out, you have the 'old' one. But, if you bought it during or after the Glo release, who knows? You could have an old one form old stock, or you could have a new one from the new release.

Edit: the warning about this difference came around the release of 2.3.1, so you might still be okay with firmwares before that (like 2.1.5), but I don't know.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-13-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Chocky
Addict

Well, at least it seems to be working now, thankfully.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Well, at least it seems to be working now, thankfully.
Glad to hear that
Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Chocky
Addict

It's working, sort of, now at the start of every new chapter the text is minute.

I have to go to text size, and hit the + then the - to get it back to the right size.

Last edited by Chocky; 01-15-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
At the risk of being "negative" my old Touch, which I gave to the wife when I bought the Glo, updated to 2.3.1 and was a POS firmware. Slow, sluggish and unresponsive most of the time, so much so I had to do a reset to which it again updated to 2.3.1 after plugging it in and doing the set up. This time it wasn't nearly as slow or unresponsive, however just about every chapter it would set the font to the smallest size at the start of a new chapter. She was frustrated and of course so was I. I finally sideloaded the 2.1.5 firmware and let it down grade. I did not bother with a factory reset first and as far as we can tell the Kobo is just fine with this so far.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Aligauld
Aligauld began at the beginning.

when my touch upgraded to 2.3.1 I was completely unprepared for the complete mess that this new firmware brought. My home button became completely unresponsive. It took 8 or 9 attempts to turn a page and then it was always a double turn. i thought a factory reset would possibly solve the problem but unfortunately not. a sideload of 2.1.5 has brought back the Touch that I love and adore. will be looking carefully at the next firmware update before I plug it in.
Aligauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #10
Chocky
Addict

Just tried another factory reset, (was going to load 2.1.5 but on registration it went straight to 2.3.1 again), and loaded books back on, now it's all working properly.

Even the new chapters are keeping to the correct text size.

Go figure.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
I have just seen this thread. I didn't realise the Touch had a recent update ?

When I checked mine I found it too is on 2.3.1 ?

The last time it was connected to Kobo Desktop was about 2 weeks ago when I syncd Desktop and then the Touch with about 20 books.

A couple of curious things happened which I didn't take much notice of. When I plugged the Touch into the USB port a Window came up in the bottom right of my Laptop screen saying something about eReader. It is the sort of message you get when plugging a new device into USB and Windows sorts out a driver for it ?

I didn't get any message from Desktop about updating the Touch !

Secondly when I "ejected" the Touch I got the "Proccessing" message on it's screen but this lasted only about 5 secs where normally with a lots of books it would take over a minute.

The touch then stopped and had to be pinhole reset.

Now I find that it is very slow to go from book to Home, from Home back to the book I am reading takes over a minute !
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
...I have been reading, trying to read, a book of 400 pages, so since this "update" I have only been going from sleep - book - sleep (the Touch I mean not me), so don't know if this book is causing the problem or if anything else screwy.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Just tried another factory reset, (was going to load 2.1.5 but on registration it went straight to 2.3.1 again), and loaded books back on, now it's all working properly.

Even the new chapters are keeping to the correct text size.

Go figure.
Weird! Glad it's working properly for you now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
I have just seen this thread. I didn't realise the Touch had a recent update ?

When I checked mine I found it too is on 2.3.1 ?
Yep that's the latest outside of Japan.

Quote:
Now I find that it is very slow to go from book to Home, from Home back to the book I am reading takes over a minute !
Quote:
...I have been reading, trying to read, a book of 400 pages, so since this "update" I have only been going from sleep - book - sleep (the Touch I mean not me),
LOL!!

Quote:
so don't know if this book is causing the problem or if anything else screwy.
I don't see why it should be the book... sounds like a 2.3.1 bug to me. But then, I don't know everything.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
Chocky
Addict

Book to home is 4 seconds, back to book is 2 seconds, (631 pages).
Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Book to home is 4 seconds, back to book is 2 seconds, (631 pages).
For me,
Book to home = 1 s
Home to book = 4-5 s

I am on firmware 2.3.2, and the book I'm reading has 355 pages.

NB. The book also has format issues (7 chapters per file, while each chapter should have its own file. Causes problems including fast battery drain. I have a fixed version of the book but am currently testing battery life with the bad book.)