Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
2015 Nebula Awards and Bram Stoker Awards Announced

Unlike the Hugos, the Nebula awards are nominated and voted on by "active members" of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, so these have not had the boondoggle in recent years regarding "puppies" and may be a better selection than the Hugos have had recently.

I am also surprised to see very few names on these lists that I recognize. Are SF/F readers here at MR not "in" on which authors are up and coming?

Nebula list: http://www.locusmag.com/News/2016/05/10777/

I don't read much horror but the Bram Stoker awards were announced on Saturday too.

Bram Stoker list: http://horror.org/2015-bram-stoker-award-winners/
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I think that I recognized 3 of authors listed, but it's been that way for years. Writers who are popular with writers and writers who are popular with readers aren't necessarily in the same.

I do question how much relevance novellas and short stories have these days.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I recognize quite a few of the Nebula-nominated authors.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Unlike the Hugos, the Nebula awards are nominated and voted on by "active members" of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, so these have not had the boondoggle in recent years regarding "puppies" and may be a better selection than the Hugos have had recently.

I am also surprised to see very few names on these lists that I recognize. Are SF/F readers here at MR not "in" on which authors are up and coming?

I don't read much horror but the Bram Stoker awards were announced on Saturday too.

Bram Stoker list: http://horror.org/2015-bram-stoker-award-winners/

Thank you for the list.

I just now purchased the Stoker Award winning novel by Paul Tremblay.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I think that I recognized 3 of authors listed, but it's been that way for years. Writers who are popular with writers and writers who are popular with readers aren't necessarily in the same.

I do question how much relevance novellas and short stories have these days.

While I don't agree with your statement at all (and wonder why you don't include novels), could you elaborate your thoughts on this. (Also, did you mean strictly within the SF genre, or in general?)

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ebooks have brought about a resurgence of the novella, in the SFF genres, in my opinion. They're being used to great effect by authors of longer-running series (often to keep interest high between novels), and the enovella market in general seems to be growing by leaps and bounds from where I'm standing. Readers are buying novellas. I think short-form SFF is more commercially viable than it's ever been right now.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:04 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post

I had the same reaction upon seeing the list a few days ago.

I like to think I'm at least somewhat in touch with the SFF world, but this list totally surprised me.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:06 AM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Ebooks have brought about a resurgence of the novella, in the SFF genres, in my opinion. They're being used to great effect by authors of longer-running series (often to keep interest high between novels), and the enovella market in general seems to be growing by leaps and bounds from where I'm standing. Readers are buying novellas. I think short-form SFF is more commercially viable than it's ever been right now.
We can hope. Not sure the evidence supports it though.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
While I don't agree with your statement at all (and wonder why you don't include novels), could you elaborate your thoughts on this. (Also, did you mean strictly within the SF genre, or in general?)

Thanks.
SF.

Prior to the 80's and the big paperback boom, many authors wrote for magazines, so you had a lot of short stories and novellas. Even the novels tended to be much, much shorter (I first read Zelazny's Hand of Oberon in serial form in Galaxy magazine back in the mid 70's. The book is less than 200 pages). While SF magazines still exists, and people still do write short stories and novellas, it's has become a much less important and common media. The readership in magazines in general has dropped dramatically over the years.

It's possible that the indie market will allow more writers to publish short stories on Amazon for a buck, but so far I just don't think that it's nearly as important as it once was. That, of course, is subject to change.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's a good point. I can think of several authors that I regularly read who self publish novellas on Amazon.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's possible that the indie market will allow more writers to publish short stories on Amazon for a buck, but so far I just don't think that it's nearly as important as it once was. That, of course, is subject to change.
For myself; I'm not talking indies, or $0.99 ebooks. I'm talking about established authors selling more and more short-form stuff. I may not have numbers to back my observations, but I've been observing genre short-form stuff for decades.

Okorafor's Binti was well-received by her fans. Fans of Corey's Expanse series gobble up the novellas and short-stories that are released between novels. Daniel Polansky's The Builders was embraced by fantasy fans everywhere. K.J. Parker's shorts are very well-received as well. Rothfuss, Martin, Scalzi, Valentine: all have taken advantage of readers' apparent willingness to buy novellas and short-stories (for more than a buck). Stephen King has availed himself of their growing popularity, too.

I'm sure other genre's have experienced the same thing lately. Commercial short-form fiction is far from irrelevant these days.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #12
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I had the same reaction upon seeing the list a few days ago.

I like to think I'm at least somewhat in touch with the SFF world, but this list totally surprised me.
I recognized many of the names, especially for novels, but I follow several book reviewers, authors, etc.

I was particularly excited to see Naomi Kritzer up for a Nebula, she's written (excellent) long form and short fiction for decades but it never took off for her until her recent story (also nominated for a Hugo and Locus award). While I enjoy SF/F short fiction, I generally tend to sample it in anthologies (where I can read a lot for the price of a novel) or online rather than magazines.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I recognized many of the names, especially for novels, but I follow several book reviewers, authors, etc.

I was particularly excited to see Naomi Kritzer up for a Nebula, she's written (excellent) long form and short fiction for decades but it never took off for her until her recent story (also nominated for a Hugo and Locus award). While I enjoy SF/F short fiction, I generally tend to sample it in anthologies (where I can read a lot for the price of a novel) or online rather than magazines.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #14
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Fans of Corey's Expanse series gobble up the novellas and short-stories that are released between novels.
These have been uniformly great. They add a lot to the backstory and universe, and at the same time are not at all required reading to enjoy the novels.

It also seems like there are a lot of anthology books/ebooks that include works from well-known genre talent. They're often backstories or secondary characters set in the same universe as the various authors' popular novel series. Charlaine Harris, Jim Butcher, Jacqueline Carey, Robin Hobb, Naomi Novik, Neil Gaiman, Tanith Lee, Diana Gabaldon, Kim Harrison -- I've seen all of these authors and many I'm forgetting contribute stories to various anthologies in the past few years.

I'm not really a fan of original short fiction -- for me, there's not enough time to really invest in brand new characters. But for backstories, minor characters, world-building in ongoing or even finished series, I'm totally there.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I'm not really a fan of original short fiction -- for me, there's not enough time to really invest in brand new characters....
Everyone is a Fan of short fiction. Some just don't realize it yet or are in denial.