Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2007, 02:22 AM   #1
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Brand New Reader with heavy ghosting.

Folks,

I've had my wonderful reader for a few weeks. My wife just got her's and I noticed a lot of ghosting on her reader when turning pages, and even when turning off her reader.

I can clearly see and read her reader's status bar, clock, menu, and top bar after turning her reader off.

I am calling Sony to send me a replacement immediately. My own reader works great, with none [or very little ] of this terrible ghosting.

Glad I had another reader to compare it with, otherwise I would have thought this was normal and returned the unit for a refund.

2 cents,
Fabian.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
Folks,

I've had my wonderful reader for a few weeks. My wife just got her's and I noticed a lot of ghosting on her reader when turning pages, and even when turning off her reader.

I can clearly see and read her reader's status bar, clock, menu, and top bar after turning her reader off.

I am calling Sony to send me a replacement immediately. My own reader works great, with none [or very little ] of this terrible ghosting.

Glad I had another reader to compare it with, otherwise I would have thought this was normal and returned the unit for a refund.

2 cents,
Fabian.
Do you have a SonyStyle store nearby you can call? That way you can maybe go there and if they'll swap it in store, check the unit you get before you leave.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you have a SonyStyle store nearby you can call? That way you can maybe go there and if they'll swap it in store, check the unit you get before you leave.
Wish we had a SonyStyle store around.. no such luck..

Called Sony this morning and I am getting a new reader shipped this week via FedEx, hopefully the new replacement unit will be calibrated better.

As long as you call within 30 days of receipt, Sony will do whatever you want to make it right. I am [so far] having a good experience with Sony support.

Thanks,
F.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
ng12345
ng12345 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
I am speaking to sony support about the same issue with no luck

they want me to pay for shipping to send my reader to san diego to get it repaired

did you speak to sony support or sonystyel/sony rewards support?

Thanks
ng12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
flamaest
Groupie

I "gently" told the Sony Rewards CSR that I received my reader through a credit card promotion and have already been hit with shipping once; and that I was not going to pay twice just because the unit I received was defective. I also did not accept the repair option. I payed for a non-defective and NEW reader, period. I don;t care if the unit cost me $1 or $1000, defective is defective.

The CSR put me on hold and came back in about 2 minutes with a fed-ex tracking number.

Push for the free shipping gently and you will get what you want.

PS: The readers are on heavy back order so be ready to wait for about 2-3 weeks before you get another unit. I wish I had a Sony Style store nearby, this could have only taken a few hours of I had a local store.

2 cents,
F.

Last edited by flamaest; 10-02-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Advert
Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
jckatz
Connoisseur
jckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litter

Device: SONY PSR-500
How much "Ghosting" is normal...
jckatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's hard to quantify, but there is some on a new panel, which gradually fades with use.

I'd say it's roughly equivalent to the "show-through" you'd get from the text on the other side of a paperback book page.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
flamaest
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
It's hard to quantify, but there is some on a new panel, which gradually fades with use.

I'd say it's roughly equivalent to the "show-through" you'd get from the text on the other side of a paperback book page.

I agree about this issue possibly fading with time..

however, a good test is turning off the unit from the main menu. If you can clearly see and read the black reader's status bar, clock, menu, and top bar after turning her reader off. AND I mean really read it without looking hard at the screen, than you should get it replaced.

if you only can see ever-so-faint shadows on page flips, then I would say this is normal.

2 cents,
F.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'd say that captures the matter quite well, flamaest.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Mine ghosts about 1/8" all around the bezel, the center almost never does. Its ghosts most the first page after menu with those big black bars. But as NatCh writes we're all used to page showthrough with those old paper backs.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:02 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I saw the 505 yesterday and it had no ghosting at all. Well, that is for the 2 demo units on display.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:25 AM   #12
flamaest
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I saw the 505 yesterday and it had no ghosting at all. Well, that is for the 2 demo units on display.
Wow, where was the 505 on display? CEDIA?

F.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
Wow, where was the 505 on display? CEDIA?

F.
Yes. A blue one and a silver one. And no ghosting at all.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #14
jckatz
Connoisseur

OK I guess I have a bad unit, I can read WORDS on a page if the next page has a a blank area (such as a new chapter)...

I guess next time I drive to Chicago I'll have to visit the evil Woodfield mall.... Yuck
Old 10-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #15
jckatz
Connoisseur

One more question: I created an image JPG the exact size of the screen at 166 DPI one called BLACK.jpg one called White.JPG I was hoping to use these to get "all my dots" in a line. I have a feeling that even when the unit is off, I have a lot of ink that isn't in the proper location. Sadly this didn't work, is there any way to recalibrate the ink?