Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
jumping in pdf's

I seem to remember that in one of henrycats videos, he could enter a page number and jump directly to that page. Does anybody know how that works?
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Yes. You open the keyboard, enter the pagenumber and hit return. BUT they broke it with 2.4
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2006, 04:45 AM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
A temporary solution nowadays could be to kill their pdf and use xpdf -remote so that one gets shell control. I am afraid that they are modifying xpdf instead simply to use the -remote control.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:27 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

since they use the external controlbar, they might have to update it, to get information to the bar, or does xpdf remote give you information about the read page, zoom level etc?

And if they want to give us the ability to add notes, they have to modify xpdf, wont they?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
since they use the external controlbar, they might have to update it, to get information to the bar, or does xpdf remote give you information about the read page, zoom level etc?
Yes, I think they have reasoned in this direction. On the other hand if you block the direct user operation in the pdf (as now it is, blocked) you have the control so you can know what page you are in -if you know how many pages the book has-.

Quote:
And if they want to give us the ability to add notes, they have to modify xpdf, wont they?
Not really, they could just overlay the notes application as a kind of trasparent window. Of course the overlay, if permanently enabled, would block any clicking in the pdf, thus breaking compliance with the standard (not only /launch, but any other /link click going for instance from the table of contents to the chapters, or to the references and back, would fail).

I think there is a part of the pdf standard about notes. I will check.

Last edited by arivero; 07-21-2006 at 05:48 AM.
Advert
Old 07-21-2006, 05:50 AM   #6
arivero
Guru

Another approach to note taking was to be able to extract pages of the book into an scrapbook. Sony (so DRM-aware :-) ) took this option. The scrapbool aplication is under full control of the new system, so you can write notes there.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:11 AM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac

I personally would like to see several kinds of notetaking on PDFs.

1. Highliting of textpassages. So everyone can see them.
2. When adding notes, the should be scribbles in the notes provided by pdf.
3. Scribbling on top of the page (can you turn that on and off??)

The first 2 would be available in PDFs already, the 3. would be some kind of overlay, but i would like to be able to see all 3 annotations in a normal PDF reader.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:38 AM   #8
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
dito: annotations have to go into the pdf file
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote