Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #46
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youbenicenow View Post
Go check out Belkin. It is not a cover - it is a line of cases. My Arc fits perfectly. It also has a front upper for ear bud storage. The case also helps protect it better than a cover. Works for me!
Cases are definitely better than covers - no extra weight while the device is in use. And they're almost always a LOT cheaper than covers...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #47
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I need to backpaddle on my earlier comment. I left on vacation for a few weeks, and when I got back, my Nexus 7 was dead. No matter what I do, it won't turn on. Researching the subject online, I found many, many users in this situation. When I try to reset it, I get either snowflakes or a flashing screen. My device was very lightly used, always in a cover, and was never dropped. The problem is that the battery died, and now the whole device is toast.

I'd say: Stay away from the N7 for now!!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #48
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I need to backpaddle on my earlier comment. I left on vacation for a few weeks, and when I got back, my Nexus 7 was dead. No matter what I do, it won't turn on. Researching the subject online, I found many, many users in this situation. When I try to reset it, I get either snowflakes or a flashing screen. My device was very lightly used, always in a cover, and was never dropped. The problem is that the battery died, and now the whole device is toast.

I'd say: Stay away from the N7 for now!!!
Don't worry.
It's (most likely) not toast.
I've had the same.
Nexus 7 simply wouldn't charge anymore.
Do a reset (= pressing power button for ca. 30 seconds).
Voila. It (most likely) will be back on and charge again.
Only found this in the web myself.
Who would press power for 30 seconds, if not knowing about this?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #49
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Don't worry.
I've had the same.
Thanks for this info. I have a Nexus 7 myself and it has never done this, however long experience with computers prepares me for possible disasters! We are about to head into a week long heatwave and I can guarantee at least one device will have a hissy fit as it overheats. Always good to know the quick fixes.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #50
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Don't worry.
I've had the same.
No, as I said, I tried the various tips of holding down the power button, holding down the power and volume up/down buttons again and again. I may get static snowflakes on the screen, or nothing, or flashing, but it is not turning on any more.
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #51
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
No, as I said, I tried the various tips of holding down the power button, holding down the power and volume up/down buttons again and again. I may get static snowflakes on the screen, or nothing, or flashing, but it is not turning on any more.
I just read that the battery cable can come loose and give these symptoms. It is easy to remove the back cover and attach the cable.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #52
xendula
eBookworm

Yeah, I've seen some people stick something in the back to make sure the battery does not jiggle. I tried to stick my finger nail in between the front and the back and the cover does not come off. So far, I am starring at my dead Nexus 7, not quite sure if I want to use force to remove the battery cover.

Still, unfortunately, it speaks of very bad built quality - stay away for now.