Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Could we adjust the time-out values?

AS more people join MR, the number of threads with new posts increases, the last couple of days there have been 15 pages of "today's posts" in the search results.

By the time I browse to the end of the list, I frequently get an error that no results are found when I go to the next page of results. And if I end up reading a thread with a LOT of posts, then it happens even more frequently. Sure wish we could extend the time out so I wouldn't have to re-do the search and scroll through everything again.

Also, when I log in to post a reply, and I continue to read other posts, my login times out way too fast. That's less of an annoyance than the search timing out, but I do see it because I have more posts per page show when I'm logged in.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I suggest you click the button that says stay logged in and then manually logout when you are finished.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I suggest you click the button that says stay logged in and then manually logout when you are finished.
What button is that? The only thing I see is a "Remember me" button, which is not the same thing at all!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
What button is that? The only thing I see is a "Remember me" button, which is not the same thing at all!
Perhaps it doesn't seem to be the same but it behaves the same if you manually logout it erases the cookies so it reverses the remember me function.

Dale
Old 01-01-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Perhaps it doesn't seem to be the same but it behaves the same if you manually logout it erases the cookies so it reverses the remember me function.

Dale
That might work, but... I only log in when I'm posting a message, either a reply or a new message, so I only see the login screen generated after the reply. This doesn't have a remember me (or at least, I didn't see it....)

And that doesn't effect the primary complaint, that the whole search results list times out before I can finish the list. Happens whether I'm logged in or not.
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
That might work, but... I only log in when I'm posting a message, either a reply or a new message, so I only see the login screen generated after the reply. This doesn't have a remember me (or at least, I didn't see it....)

And that doesn't effect the primary complaint, that the whole search results list times out before I can finish the list. Happens whether I'm logged in or not.
It will not time out if you select keep me logged in/Remember me. It will solve your original problem. Why not just try it instead of arguing.

Dale
Old 01-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Darqref, can you describe in more detail what happens when the search results "time out"? What time interval are we talking about?

Update: Search results are cached in order to conserve server resources. The downside of this is that search results can appear out of order if a thread is updated in the interim. For this reason the results expire after one hour.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 01-01-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
AS more people join MR, the number of threads with new posts increases, the last couple of days there have been 15 pages of "today's posts" in the search results.

By the time I browse to the end of the list, I frequently get an error that no results are found when I go to the next page of results.
Darqref, this is only an interim suggestion, and the way I do similar to what you do (and thus it might not be your preference), but...

When I list all the new posts, I go through "CTRL-click"ing on each one I want to read, such that it opens in a new tab without taking me to that tab (this is in Firefox, FWIW). I work my way through all the pages of new posts until I have opened all the things I want to read in new tabs. It's a lot of tabs. I then refresh the "New posts" search, make sure something new that I want to read hasn't turned up in the interim and if otherwise open it in a new tab, and then use the Quick Link menu to "Mark Forums Read". Then, at my leisure, I go through each tab, closing it as I finish with it.

Of course, if you go to post, you might be prompted to sign-in on that particular tab, but at least you don't have to worry about the Search result timeout...I think.

As I said, this workflow works for me, and thus very well might not work for you. It is merely a suggestion, a personal practice, and in no way is premised as "The Right Way".

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
Darqref
space cadet

Quote:
It will not time out if you select keep me logged in/Remember me. It will solve your original problem. Why not just try it instead of arguing.

Dale
Because I DONT log in until/unless I need to make a reply. Today, I read (what I wanted to read from ) the whole search results (got to the last page 64 minutes after the search had been generated.) I didn't log in until I go ready to reply to this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Darqref, can you describe in more detail what happens when the search results "time out"? What time interval are we talking about?

Update: Search results are cached in order to conserve server resources. The downside of this is that search results can appear out of order if a thread is updated in the interim. For this reason the results expire after one hour.
I click on the "Today's Posts" link, usually when I'm NOT logged in. Only occasionally, when I have replied to something on the front page, am I logged in before this point. This generates several pages of threads which have posts/replies generated in the last 24 hours. Today, that was 16 pages of results.

Then, I proceed to page through the results, reading any thread that interests me. Sometimes, I post a reply, which requires I log in, most times not. In either case, I continue following the search results. When the timeout occurs, I click to go to the next page of results, and get only a box saying (approximately) "there are no results matching this search."

The fact that the results expire is what I'm talking about - I understand that posts will continue to occur after I've generated the search results. It's just that when the expiration occurs, I frequently give up for the night, instead of re-generating the results and scanning for ones that I haven't read that I want to read. For most of the last 2 years, this has only happened when I get involved in a long thread (usually one of the copyright threads, but the first time I tried to catch up on the rants was ugly). The rush of new users over the last couple of months corresponding with the release of several new reader models has made it more likely that enough interesting posts will occur to run over the search result expiration.

If I could set a personal setting that would keep the result valid for longer while I was logged in, I might change my habits to log in more frequently.

In the mean time, I'll probably try a variation of Marc's suggestion to get each page of results downloaded and open before they expire. But it makes me think, instead of just starting to read. oww, my brain hurts.

edit: after reading this again, I could also see that an improved timeout message might help, at least the first couple of times it happens.

Last edited by Darqref; 01-04-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
If you search for new posts while you are logged in, the forum will remember every thread you visit from the search results and won't show these again upon new searches, unless there is a new unread post. For this reason it is highly recommended to be logged in while doing new post searches.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote