Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Working! Rooted 1.1.0 w/ Market

EDIT: There is now a much easier way to do this. Check out SalsichaNooter.

With lots of tweaking and testing, and tips from random users at XDA, here's how I got my nook rooted and working with the new firmware. I ran into a glitch with NookTouchTools (more on that below) so I've now done it twice. Seemed to work better (?) the second time. If anyone has an account over there and wants to link or cross-post my experiences, that is fine by me. This is probably not for those of you wanting an easy fix, but if you like to tinker like I do, here's my success story:

First Try:
1) Used nookRestore to restore /system.
2) Wiped /data with Settings --> Device Info --> Erase and Deregister Device.
3) Reregistered nook with B&N and my GMail address.
4) Copied B&N 1.1 update to nook and ran it.
5) Imaged TouchNooter 1.6.24 to my SD card.
6) Replaced the SD /nooter/root/uRamdisk with the rooted 1.1 USB uRamdisk.
7) Replaced the SD /nooter/system/framework/framework.jar with the hacked 1.1 framework.jar.
8) Booted TouchNooter. Didn't work (gave it five minutes). Tried again. Didn't work. Third try? Worked!
9) Android Icon, Registration, Enable Location Services, etc. No problems. If you've rooted before with TouchNooter you know the drill.
10) Tried YouTube registration. 401 error. Tried Gmail sync. Nothing.
11) Rebooted and retried GMail. Worked! Market works!
12) Tried updated Vending.apk for search capabilities. Didn't work.
13) Used Browser and goo.gl to download SearchMarket (http://goo.gl/SyqY6) Yay, search!
14) Installed ADB Wireless Widget. Ready to rock and roll.
15) Tried to install NookTouchTools jars. Yikes! Infinite reboot, won't start.

Second Go:
1) Used nookRestore to restore /system but did not wipe /data.
2) Reregistered and reupdated to 1.1.
3) Remade TouchNooter SD card and booted. Worked first try.
4) nook seemed frozen at home screen chooser (GO Launcher vs. nook Home). Rebooted and all is well. Search Market and ADB Wireless remained installed and working.
5) Waiting on NookTouchTools this time.

I'm disappointed that NookTouchTools isn't working yet, so I'm stuck with ButtonSavior. But I'm confident that it will be working eventually.

If I find anything is not working as expected, I'll post it here.

EDIT: I went to post on XDA but got skeered away by their "You are a noob" video.

EDIT2: See post #7 for how I did it and got a working Market w/ search. The order of steps are as exact as I could be.

Last edited by Kralik; 11-18-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
TJay
TJay began at the beginning.

Device: NST
Kralik:

Great work as well as detailed! Don't let the XDA vid scare you. Join up and post your experiences. The dev forum for the Nook Touch has a requirement that you have something like 10 or 20 posts, but you can post in the other forums. Your experience might help those devs figure something out.
TJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
apeine
Enthusiast
apeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
Kralik, I've added your experience on XDA. Keep on posting and soon enough you can join us.
Thanks for your posting!
apeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that! For what it's worth, I think the key may be to format /data? One user posted this:

Quote:
Sounds a lot like the early attempts at getting manual nooter running on the NC without doing a complete device wipe - if you only formatted /system the root kinda worked adn the market didn't at all.
And the user who was successful with the hacked 1.1 framework.jar was working off a fresh nook. OTOH Gabrial was unsuccessful.

BTW, having rooted three 1.0.1 nooks, TouchNooter NEVER booted for me on the first try. For the first nook I let it sit for 30 minutes or so... the other two I just reset at five. So it doesn't surprise me that it took three tries for 1.1.0.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
apeine
Enthusiast
apeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
Ditto for me. When I rooted 1.0 and 1.0.1, both times I had to reboot the rooting in order to make it work.
apeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru

I realized that the NookTouchTools apk still works for remapping the side buttons, so I installed it without any issues. Can't remap the n button yet, but I mapped my right buttons to Back and Menu.

I installed Relaunch and was surprised as how useful it is as a launcher! I don't really need widgets, and it shows me things like battery, wireless, memory, etc, while giving an app tray, favorites, file browser, and more. It was last updated a month ago, so I hope the developer keeps it up. The good news is that I can map it to the "Home" button that pops up on the n menu. Yay! Home, Menu, Back all covered.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Kralik
Guru

EDIT: There is now a much easier way to do this. Check out SalsichaNooter.

I have now done this process twice more on other nooks and successfully installed the new Market with search. The creator of TouchNooter hasn't been successful with 1.6.24 so perhaps I'm just lucky. If you want to try what I've done, you should backup your 2GB nook image first.

Final Version:
1) Backed up with noogie.img on SD and Roadkil's DiskImage.
2) Used nookRestore on SD to restore /system.
3) Erased and Deregistered to wipe /data.
4) Skipped B&N registration* (I don't need/want it).
5) Applied 1.1 firmware update.
6) Used TouchNooter 1.6.24 on SD, modified with 1.1 uRamdisk and framework.jar.
7) Triple booted TouchNooter (gave it five minutes each time), got to Android Welcome, removed card, rebooted, skipped Google registration.
8) Youtube (401 error) --> GMail --> Market. Downloaded a program in Market.
9) Installed SearchMarket (http://goo.gl/SyqY6) and ADB Wireless Widget. Enabled non-market apps with NookColorTools. Uninstalled YouTube (an XDA user said this helps).
10) Used ADB over wireless to push Vending.apk from here. SearchMarket is no longer needed.

From there I've installed NookTouchTools (works for side buttons), Relaunch (I like it) and NookBookButton (menu for book in top left).

I like to tinker with this sort of thing... I must have flashed my jetBook of old with random experimental firmwares about a dozen times. At least with the nook, as long as you have a good backup there's no harm in trying!

*I don't think this changes the process, but I noted it in case it was relevant. To skip the registration: Hold the Upper-Right Side Button and slide your finger left-to-right across the top of the screen. Keep holding the button and then tap the top left corner once (Factory) followed by the bottom right corner twice (Skip Oobe).

Last edited by Kralik; 11-18-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Footnote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
TJay
TJay began at the beginning.

Device: NST
Kralik:

Amazing news. Indeed, there are still a few troubles with getting a TouchNooter build over at XDA (primarily due to the problem you seem to have solved: getting the Market and Gapps to work). Excellent job!

I have a question for you which I've asked in various venues. A couple of people have indicated that with TouchNooter 1.6.24 (on rooted Nook Touch with 1.01, NOT the latest B&N update), B&N updates will not download or run on the device, so there's no need to fear a rooted NST forcing an update and ruining the root. Is that correct? I also get the opposite opinion in the same venues.

I've basically turned off Wi-Fi until I can get an answer to this question. Put simply, I don't want to update to 1.1.0 as I'm perfectly satisfied with my rooted Touch and have it set up with all the apps I use on a daily basis. Is there any remedy for my situation?
TJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Kralik
Guru

In short, I don't know for sure. I heard that it will not update. In my case, I tried several times to manually update it without restoring to factory defaults and it silently deleted the update and did nothing. That's not to say that it might not waste battery life trying to repeated download the update before it deletes, though.

I would recommend 1.10 when/if you have time to get to it. Screen changes are noticeably faster in all areas of the system, not just in reading. Lucky for me I haven't had my nook for long, otherwise I would have been reluctant to start from scratch. I'm in the same boat as you with my rooted cell phone -- it's not worth the hassle to update.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
XorZone
XorZone began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
FYI, NookTouchTools jars updated for 1.1
XorZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
Kralik
Guru

Thanks XorZone! I love your NookTouchTools app.

There is now a much easier way to root 1.1.0. Check out SalsichaNooter.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
XorZone
XorZone began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Thanks XorZone! I love your NookTouchTools app.

There is now a much easier way to root 1.1.0. Check out SalsichaNooter.
Sure.

For the rooting, I've done rooting of 1.1 with similar to yours method as soon as modified uRamdisk usb was released. So now I have my own TouchNooter image that works. The key for me was to use Vending from TouchNooter and install any app, then replace with Search enabled Vending.

BTW, Thanks for the SearchMarket hint, it simplifies downloading required app instead of crap on top of Free Apps to get market working!
XorZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #13
MrMusic38
MrMusic38 began at the beginning.

I got my Nook Simple Touch rooted using sausichanooter4 but there is a problem. When the keyboard comes up there is NO period ( . ) key! When I'm trying to load a URL there is a ".com" key, but NO period ( . ) key! When I'm entering a user name and password there is NO period ( . ) key of any kind. Not on the "abc" or "ABC" keyboard, not on the "?123" or "ALT"-"?123" keyboard. How do you enter a period ( . ) ????
MrMusic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
10) Used ADB over wireless to push Vending.apk from here.
I pushed a copy of Vending.apk (via adb wifi) taken from link indicated above, but I still couldn't execute any search with the new Vending.apk -- nothing happens after I entered the search terms and hit the Search button.

Last edited by livramax; 05-04-2012 at 12:20 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
scubaman
scubaman began at the beginning.

Device: nook color dual boot gingerbread
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
I pushed a copy of Vending.apk (via adb wifi) taken from link indicated above, but I still couldn't execute any search with the new Vending.apk -- nothing happens after I entered the search terms and hit the Search button.
Same here. I needed searchmarket. Clicking market gave me an error, did not even get me to search. Then I downloaded the vending.apk from the link above. Looks identical to the vending.apk I find on the NST, in /system/app - same checksum. Still I tried to push it on with adb. Not sure I did it right. I remounted /system rw, and pushed vending.apk over. Now I have 2 vending.apks there and can't delete either. Strangely, once I replaced the shortcut on the desktop, the market DOES now open - but search remains blank, I need the searchmarket app. Would like to hear from anyone that has done this rooting recently.

If this thread is still alive, a brief response to that effect would be nice.

Regards,
Rich
scubaman is offline   Reply With Quote