Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
A painful tale of recharging

Two days ago, I had two bars of charge on my PRS-600, and life was good.
The next day, I pulled out my liseuse on the train, turned it on. A bespeckled power-on screen appeared, then the menu, which was greyed, with a requester I couldn't read, with a message down the bottom - No Battery! (funny, last time I looked, it has a battery!). It switched itself off and refused to switch on again.
Took it home at the end of the day, it refused to charge. Tried the 'unplug battery, replug battery' trick, still won't charge. Nothing I did made it charge. Tried the 'unplug battery, replug battery' trick repeatedly intersperced with plugging it in, no go.
Left it overnight (with bitterness) unplugged.
This morning, it started to recharge when I plugged it in.
What gives?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
How do you get to the battery? My 600's battery life has never been stellar, and I've wanted to try the "unplug the battery" trick, but I've never been able to figure out how to open the doggone thing!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
How do you get to the battery? My 600's battery life has never been stellar, and I've wanted to try the "unplug the battery" trick, but I've never been able to figure out how to open the doggone thing!
There are two screws at the back. Remove them then slide the plate at the back away from them.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
By chance do you know where or how to obtain a replacement battery if you decided to do that? The battery not being considered user replacable like many of the Netronix or Jinke devices has made me hesitate about buying a Sony, but this sounds like it wouldn't be bad at all. If I can assmble a desktop computer from components I can pull a couple of screws from a reader! Last year I wanted a Sony PRS 600 or a Pocketbook 302, but just could not bring myself to spend that much money. With the new PRS 650 being so pretty in the videos so far I think I will do it this year, but would like to feel better about the battery.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Well, phooey...now it won't charge! I hope it'll just magically charge tomorrow, like yours did.

Later the next day: Okay, I tried removing the cover again, checking the battery connection. I think last time I didn't have the back cover seated exactly right. Not sure why that would make a difference, but whatever the reason, I can now charge the reader again. Whew! Now to see if that helps the battery life any...

Last edited by FizzyWater; 09-10-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Update on status!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard

One key thing about recharging with the PRS-600: do not use USB to recharge, ever.
My PRS-600 is not up to the task in this respect and I suspect other PRS-600s aren't, either.