Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #31
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
They MUST...HAVE....EVERYTHING...RIGHT...NOW!!!! What do these people do when they are expecting a baby!?!
... take lamaze classes.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #32
Snapply
Connoisseur
Snapply began at the beginning.

Device: Amazozn Kindlezz
I am so angry I will RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeee
Snapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #33
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman7 View Post
No, I'd have to agree with elmoglick that adding/deleting does indeed take significantly longer than it had before the update.
(BTW, this is on the DX. The K2 memory architecture is different, so it may perform differently) The delay seems to be related to the number of books involved. I have about 400 books currently and every deletion or addition takes just about exactly 40 seconds.

I originally had about 700 books and many sub-directories (thanks to Calibre), which I deleted and started from scratch (and reconfigured Calibre for no sub-directories). With 700 books (and many sub-directories), it took 2 full minutes to add or delete an item.

At any rate, it sure does seem to be a significant issue and I hope they are working on fixing it. I do like the Collections feature (especially having collection called "Currently Reading"), but the performance cost is disturbing.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #34
Snapply
Connoisseur
Snapply began at the beginning.

Device: Amazozn Kindlezz
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
(BTW, this is on the DX. The K2 memory architecture is different, so it may perform differently) The delay seems to be related to the number of books involved. I have about 400 books currently and every deletion or addition takes just about exactly 40 seconds.

I originally had about 700 books and many sub-directories (thanks to Calibre), which I deleted and started from scratch (and reconfigured Calibre for no sub-directories). With 700 books (and many sub-directories), it took 2 full minutes to add or delete an item.

At any rate, it sure does seem to be a significant issue and I hope they are working on fixing it. I do like the Collections feature (especially having collection called "Currently Reading"), but the performance cost is disturbing.
It's not like you could just connect it to the computer and delete it or anything, oh...
Snapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #35
RamTheHammer
RamTheHammer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
elmoglick - that is distubing news! I have my books organized in folders on my kindle and if the inserts and delets are as you say then I am glad not to have 2.5 yet. That, to me, is a MAJOR issue!
RamTheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #36
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Mine's a K2. So the issue exists in both formats. (I have 300+ books on the K2.)
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #37
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapply View Post
It's not like you could just connect it to the computer and delete it or anything, oh...
Sure. But when you disconnect the USB, guess how long it takes before the device is ready to use? (Yup, 40 seconds). And how convenient is that anyway?

Books from Amazon are not available for the same 40 seconds after the "ITEMS DOWNLOADED" displays.

Hopefully this is the main issue they are working on fixing. I can't imagine that they could miss something so serious.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #38
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
More than patient enough to wait for Amazon to get known bugs in 2.5 fixed before it installs on my K2. Everyone is discussing the collections feature. What about the two larger fonts and the fonts being crisper/sharper? Any feedback on those issues?

Bob
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #39
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLenx View Post
More than patient enough to wait for Amazon to get known bugs in 2.5 fixed before it installs on my K2. Everyone is discussing the collections feature. What about the two larger fonts and the fonts being crisper/sharper? Any feedback on those issues?

Bob
They're more sharper looking to me, but not exactly darker. When the update is finally released, I look forward to installing the font hack, again. For boldness and a difference in font, both.

That's what I wish had been included in this update: different font choices.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:54 AM   #40
wlaine
wlaine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & Fire 7" HD
There is a new thread on Kindle Forum: 2.5 bugs are worked out and update is rolling out!!!!
ebook addict says:

I just got off the phone with a very nice young man from Kindle Tech support and he told me the bugs have been worked out of the 2.5 update and they are beginning the new roll out now! Here are the specs he gave me:

The update is rolling out over the course of this month by geographical region. No download link as of yet.

The download is large and takes a while but will download all in one file and not over the coarse of several days as previously posted. At least according to what he knows.

It will update when whispernet is on and has been in extended sleep mode but they are attempting to push out overnight due to the size.

Clicking on "sync and check for items" will not check for updates, only your kindle content like books, blogs, etc. so don't bother wasting your time on this.

Tech support has not been told any order of regions, but someone please post if you get the update after or slightly before this post and tell us what part of the country you are in. I am sure we will begin to see a trend.

This is what I was told guys so I am gonna cross my fingers and turn my whispernet back on at night and see what happens. Shouldn't take long to see others start posting that they got the download. He said that they updated the message but I forgot to ask for the link and I never could find it without clicking on a link someone posted before.

http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/for...ype=tagsDetail
wlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #41
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I am gonna just wait for the download version simply because I don't get great 3G in the house (outside if full bars, inside is at best 3-bars) granted with digital it's an on-or-off thing but because of the weak connection the communication back and forth is slowed due to Tx error which can require retransmitts (depends on how the Kindle works in this respect) which uses a lot more power and often the signal just goes.... *poof* so no hurry, I'll get it when it's there to be d/l'd...

But thanks for the update so we known the bugs, well, the ones they are willing to fess up to, are fixed, mostly.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #42
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I am gonna just wait for the download version simply because I don't get great 3G in the house (outside if full bars, inside is at best 3-bars) granted with digital it's an on-or-off thing but because of the weak connection the communication back and forth is slowed due to Tx error which can require retransmitts (depends on how the Kindle works in this respect) which uses a lot more power and often the signal just goes.... *poof* so no hurry, I'll get it when it's there to be d/l'd...

But thanks for the update so we known the bugs, well, the ones they are willing to fess up to, are fixed, mostly.
My husband finds his AT&T phone (which is the K2i) works if he stands under a tree in our front yard. Just a thought . . .
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #43
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
There is a new thread on Kindle Forum: 2.5 bugs are worked out and update is rolling out!!!!
There's a new thread on the Kindle boards this morning contradicting this thread. According to the new one, 2.5 is still weeks away and no mention of a regional rollout. I'm going to turn my Whispernet off again, and wait for the manual file download to be available. I might even put the Georgia font hack back on my Kindle in the interim; I really miss it.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #44
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post

I don't even receive the 3G network where we live. I can only receive the "Edge" network and that's only 1 or 2 bars. I'll wait for the download version as well.
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #45
gibletpie
Enthusiast
gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_lu View Post
I don't even receive the 3G network where we live. I can only receive the "Edge" network and that's only 1 or 2 bars. I'll wait for the download version as well.
Same thing for me. I'm lucky to get 1 bar of the "Edge" network at home.

Personally, I think Amazon should post the update on their site as soon as it's available. I think expecting Kindle owners to leave Whispernet on all the time, recharging every 2 days (I read a lot, hence the Kindle), waiting for weeks to see when Amazon finally deigns to give them the update, is ludicrous. Post it on the site, don't force me to leave wireless on and then act like it's painless and you're doing me a favor.

If you REALLY want to make it fairly painless, how about EMAILING me when there's an update available for me over Whispernet--particularly if you're going to dole updates out to only a few at a time. I mean, my Kindle is registered to my account, along with my email address. If that's too much trouble, post it to the website first day.

I really love my Kindle, but their update process stinks.
gibletpie is offline   Reply With Quote