Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #31
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
2. Up to 7,500 continuous page turns with a single full charge on internal rechargeable battery. Actual battery life may vary upon usage patterns, product settings, battery, and environmental conditions.

1000 page turns is still 2 days, even if you read every minute of those days, better battery life than any other electronic.

btw, every time you make a note, you flash the screen again, so for every note you make add about 3, unless you are typing, then add 20 per note, and see how your figure turns out. every time you turn the device on, every time you open a menu, etc etc. thats all part of it.

Last edited by Andybaby; 04-24-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #32
DLautzCinci
DLautzCinci began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
I read about 2 page-turns per minute, so my PRS-700 battery life is 500 minutes or 8.33 hours -- that's for me, anyway. Highlighting text every once in a while does take up battery.

But Sony's claim of 7500 page-turns implies 40-60 hours of battery life, far short of my actual experience.

I'm perfectly find with 8 hours of battery life; I don't mind charging it. It's typical for a handheld device. I could take the book reader on a really long flight and the battery would be fine.

Let me also say that I have always been a fan of Sony -- I have lots of their products.

What's unfortunate is that Sony ruined my satisfaction with the PRS-700 just because the product can't live up to their claims. It's almost as if the Sony engineer said "look, average battery life is 750," and some Sony marketing guy said "let's add a zero to that to make it sound better."

On one hand, Sony's lousy customer support really upset me. But I see that they are in a no-win situation because they can't explain there is really nothing wrong with the PRS-700. Replacing the product won't solve the customer's issue since the problem is the extra zero in the specs, not the battery.
DLautzCinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #33
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

battery life claims are always done by using the lowest power possible, I'm sure you can get 7500 page turns if you try. turn the page once a second, every second for just over 2 hours. and you get 7500 page turns

now that sounds true, 2 hours of page turning goodness. remember it says 7500 CONTINUOUS page turns.

extending it over the matter of hours or even days, of course the number will go down.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #34
ddave
Enthusiast
ddave began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does anyone have an estimate of the self discharge rate of the Sony battery (i.e. the leakage current)? In other words, if fully charged and not turned on. What would the charge level be after 1 week? 1 month?

ddave
ddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #35
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddave View Post
Does anyone have an estimate of the self discharge rate of the Sony battery (i.e. the leakage current)? In other words, if fully charged and not turned on. What would the charge level be after 1 week? 1 month?

ddave
We've had a couple people here who have left their unit alone for a month or so, and the battery is drained.

I'm still getting a good few thousand page turns from mine, depending on how much I turn it on or off. I get about 2 weeks before I charge it, and I don't let it drain all the way.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #36
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
When you are not using the device-do you fully shut it down ? I have a memory card in my device,and routinely use the light (particularly for late night reading)-my battery lasts far more than a week (and more than 1000 pages per charge).In fact,I think it was only a few days ago where I was down to critically low battery power.When I do not plan on reading,out of habit,I do a "full shut down" of the device.....
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #37
Andybaby
Wizard

I never have done a full shut down, which I assume is holding it off in the off position till it shuts down, instead of sleep which is just a flick of the off button.

2 books a week on a single charge, unless I'm reading alot at night with the light on
Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #38
Pangolyn
Enthusiast
Pangolyn began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
I always turn it off (not sleep) if I know I'm not going to read within the hour. It makes a huge difference in battery life. I also use a PSP charger like others have stated. If you use the light then there is no hope of getting a lot of time out of the battery.
Pangolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #39
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Wow! I've never fully shut down either! I haven't really been keeping count of page turns, but I haven't considered my battery life to be less than sufficient and with the PSP charger it charges back up so fast!!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #40
Andybaby
Wizard

heck even a half hour USB charge is enough to read for days. I do that alot. I wake up and its at 1 bar, I plug it into the usb, its at 3 or 4 w/in a half hour when I have to leave.