Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
scratchmb
scratchmb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
My Kobo Arc doesn't know it's an Android

I don't know what to think anymore. I got the Kobo Arc not long ago. No, it is not an Arc 7 nor an Arc 7HD, just a simple Arc. When I connected it to my laptop via USB cable it was happily acknowledged as storage device using a MTP USB Device driver.
Now, it stopped doing that, now for some bizarre reason it won't accept the MTP USB driver, in fact the driver won't even load properly. When I uninstall the driver and reinstall it through Windows, oh, yes I am using Windows 7, the driver installs, but does not load or will not be recognized. I even tried drivers from third party sites.
Then I decided that since my Kobo Arc tablet is an Android device, I took a shot at using an Android driver, as per specification of the device.
My computer called me a liar, well not in those words, but the usual loving way Windows tells folks they can't do things. Even with all sorts of clever editing, I just could not come up with the right combination.
So, if anyone has any idea of how to get my laptop to recognize my Kobo Arc device either as plug and play or as an Android device, I would feel some weight off my burdened shoulders.

Thanks
Scratch
scratchmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
dfoo
dfoo began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
Hi, I am having the same problem as you, I think I just fixed it though. Did you force stop and disable any pre-installed apps on it? I did, as I hate stuff running without my knowing what it does.

I think I re-enabled "KoboEaster", "KoboFTE", and "KoboSystem" then rebooted. Now get the familiar "connected as a media device" message on tablet and recognized. Would you mind doing them one by one so that we can single out what it is that needs to be running?
dfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
scratchmb
scratchmb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
As a matter of fact, I thought that maybe I might have over disabled. I tend to do that because there is nothing I hate more than apps running in the background draining away the battery. It is a defeated objective to carry about devices that also require one to pack along a charger and find a place to sit about while your device charges up to full capacity. One of the main reasons I am dumping my smartphone at the end of my contract and going back to a simple cell phone. Allowing my tablet to handle my internet needs on the go. Still, I did a factory reset on my Kobo Arc, and I still have the problem. I strongly suspect that my Windows 7 C++ is corrupt and I am seeking a way to overwrite it without having to start from the beginning. I hate doing backup and then the restoring process.
scratchmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchmb View Post
I don't know what to think anymore. I got the Kobo Arc not long ago. No, it is not an Arc 7 nor an Arc 7HD, just a simple Arc. When I connected it to my laptop via USB cable it was happily acknowledged as storage device using a MTP USB Device driver.
Now, it stopped doing that, now for some bizarre reason it won't accept the MTP USB driver, in fact the driver won't even load properly. When I uninstall the driver and reinstall it through Windows, oh, yes I am using Windows 7, the driver installs, but does not load or will not be recognized. I even tried drivers from third party sites.
Then I decided that since my Kobo Arc tablet is an Android device, I took a shot at using an Android driver, as per specification of the device.
My computer called me a liar, well not in those words, but the usual loving way Windows tells folks they can't do things. Even with all sorts of clever editing, I just could not come up with the right combination.
So, if anyone has any idea of how to get my laptop to recognize my Kobo Arc device either as plug and play or as an Android device, I would feel some weight off my burdened shoulders.

Thanks
Scratch

quite simple.

just plug in a £1 multi usb adapter plug into a usb slot in your pc.

then plug in your kobo arc into the multi usb adapter.

all your woes will be gone.you can send me a cheque for 10.00 in your joy.

and you toss windows 7 into the bin and install modified xp.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #5
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
MTP sucks I really don't know why Google replaced USB Mass storage with it, it just sucks it's far slower, less capable, unlikely to work with anything but windows and that's if you are lucky it's just worse in every single way and by huge margins.

Call me cynical but I think Googles trying to force people to the cloud I can see no other reason behind it.

I do most of my files transfers through wifi file explorer pro but I don't know much about Kobos so no idea if that helps.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert