Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #61
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
I thought that would be the case; just wondering if there were any hidden issues like not being able to register it here or some other silly thing Sony does to torment us
I've never registered my Sony readers. I imagine that you can though. And I am 100% sure you can authorize them for ADE.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #62
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I've never registered my Sony readers. I imagine that you can though. And I am 100% sure you can authorize them for ADE.

Helen
The T3 isn't recognized by ADE, but you can activate it on the device and copy encrypted books over from the Digital Editions folder on your computer without using ADE.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #63
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The T3 isn't recognized by ADE, but you can activate it on the device and copy encrypted books over from the Digital Editions folder on your computer without using ADE.
Hmmm. Good to know. So the T3 doesn't actually have to be authorized? You can do it without being connected to the internet or ADE? Sounds to good to be true

Helen
Old 10-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #64
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Hmmm. Good to know. So the T3 doesn't actually have to be authorized? You can do it without being connected to the internet or ADE? Sounds to good to be true

Helen
No, it has to be authorized. As I said you do it on the device, which would of course need a WiFi connection to 'phone home' to Adobe's servers.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #65
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Can we then assume that there's still direct access to library books via wifi once it's authorized ?

(I'm beginning to think it's simpler to move to Canada...
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #66
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
Can we then assume that there's still direct access to library books via wifi once it's authorized ?
Yes...
Old 10-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #67
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Ok, thanks for the info, but I'm still considering moving north...

Plumadona
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #68
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
No, it has to be authorized. As I said you do it on the device, which would of course need a WiFi connection to 'phone home' to Adobe's servers.
Again interesting. I'm pretty sure I authorized my T1 using my desktop, but that was a while ago. Doesn't matter though really

Helen
Old 10-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #69
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
The thing is both Amazon and Barnes & Noble came into the ebook reader business from the business of selling books. Sony entered from the electronics business and compared to their overall electronics business ebook readers were never going to be but a minor part of that. So at least Amazon can sell readers at a low cost and make it up from selling ebooks, especially with the Amazon readers being tied the Amazon format. Sony was never a good source for ebooks.
Barnes & Noble does the same thing, and it's worth noting that they are also tied to Barnes & Noble's proprietary format. (I am assuming by proprietary format you really mean DRM scheme -- I can easily make as many raw ePubs and azw3s as I want.) The lock-in is the same, no matter where you shop.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:43 AM   #70
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'm a big fan of android but I really feel that's actually been what's wrong with Sony's readers since the T1, it probably isn't Androids fault but I feel the Sony readers are too under specced to deal with it, they needed to seriously beef the specs up or make their Android software a lot more stable.

I'd be more inclined to keep buying Sony if they went back to their older prs software all I want a reader for is reading I don't need a super slow glitchy web browser, wikipedia lookup etc. On the other hand browsing my large epub library is vital and the T1 doesn't let me do it without their software force closing or crashing.

I wouldn't be that sad to see Sony getting out of the UK until they get their act together.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #71
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Sony can't compete in the US. The majority of ereader buyers are interested in the store attached to the device. On top of not offering as many books, it also can't compete with delivery time and the speed of resolving customer issues as US centric businesses.

Competing on price in the US with companies that are willing to take a loss is also bad. Not just for the fact that the other companies can always go lower, but because it affects how the US pricing is viewed in other countries. It's one thing for a US company to sell devices in Europe for a higher price than in the US and it is another thing for an Asian company to sell devices in Europe for a higher price than in the US.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #72
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Barnes & Noble does the same thing, and it's worth noting that they are also tied to Barnes & Noble's proprietary format. (I am assuming by proprietary format you really mean DRM scheme -- I can easily make as many raw ePubs and azw3s as I want.) The lock-in is the same, no matter where you shop.
I have a Nook. I don't buy my books from B&N. I buy them from Sony or Kobo or borrow from the library. B&N allows you to authorize the Nook to work with Adobe DRM from other stores. You are not tied to their store only for DRM'ed books.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #73
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I have a Nook. I don't buy my books from B&N. I buy them from Sony or Kobo or borrow from the library. B&N allows you to authorize the Nook to work with Adobe DRM from other stores. You are not tied to their store only for DRM'ed books.
And it's actually easier to "authorize" them for my Kindle as well. Hacky mechanisms like that don't really count.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #74
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And it's actually easier to "authorize" them for my Kindle as well. Hacky mechanisms like that don't really count.
What do you mean "hacky mechanisms"? The Nook's natively support both "standard" Adobe Adept DRM and B&N's version of Adobe's DRM.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #75
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
What do you mean "hacky mechanisms"? The Nook's natively support both "standard" Adobe Adept DRM and B&N's version of Adobe's DRM.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to plug your Nook into your computer, add it as an authorized device for your Adobe ID and use ADE to transfer all books to your Nook?

Integrated stores exist for a reason, and most people will not want to deal with the hassle of getting books from anywhere other than the store app of the ereader in question.

And if I were to use my computer to transfer all my books to my ereader, then I want to use calibre not ADE. To use calibre, I need Apprentice Alf for authorization, which is easier AND "authorizes" for Kindle as well.