Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
All Digital Library Now Open to the Public

Nation's first bookless public library system opens

Quote:
The nation’s first all-digital, book-free public library system has opened in San Antonio, with patrons lining up to peruse on online catalog on Apple touch screen computers and check out books on e-readers.

Library mavens from across the U.S. and from as far away as Hong Kong came to view the library this week, according to an Associated Press report.

The Bexar County Digital Library, also known as BiblioTech, is located in south San Antonio and is the only public library operated by the county government. (The city of San Antonio, located within Bexar County, operates its own system). It was built with $1.9 million in county tax money and $500,000 in private donations. Time magazine said it “looks like an orange-hued Apple store and is stocked with 10,000 e-books, 500 e-readers, 48 computers, and 20 iPads and laptops.”
What struck me most about this new library, was its catalog - its very small. Only 10,000 ebooks and 400 audiobooks. That's not much for a large county library. Hopefully, they'll expand their collection. What's noticably missing is OverDrive. Instead, they're using 3M Cloud Library for ebooks, OneClick Digital for audiobooks, and Zinio for magazines. Checkout limit is five books. eBooks can be kept for 14 days, audiobooks for 10 days, and magazines have no time limits.

In addition to its digital collection, they also have - 48 computer stations, 10 laptops, 600 ereaders, and 40 tablets. The ereaders can be checked out for 14 days.

This is the future and more of these libraries are sure to pop up.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
That's very interesting

As you say they've so far chosen not to go with Overdrive, and have very few ebooks. But, it's a start!!

Any mention of on-line only access to the catalogue?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Any mention of on-line only access to the catalogue?
I'm not following you
Old 01-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Ahh the word 'remote' might help

Any mention of on-line remote access?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Ahh the word 'remote' might help

Any mention of on-line remote access?
You can access the collection from anywhere. The onsite devices and internet access are for those who otherwise don't have them.

My idea of a digital library is a room with a bank of servers
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What's noticably missing is OverDrive. Instead, they're using 3M Cloud Library for ebooks, OneClick Digital for audiobooks, and Zinio for magazines.
Aren't all three of those entirely cloud-based services? I've been fearing that things are heading this way (since I don't choose to go wireless much).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I think this is great for residents. I am envious. My library has many ebooks, but not a single cookbook.

I'm sure they will add titles as funds become available. My county library started with 6,000 ebooks and I don't know how many audiobooks. They seem to always have new ones, but mostly, I'm happy to say, more sci fi than they used to get in paper form.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-10-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Well I signed up! Was Free! But now that I found a book it wants to Text me.... so now I am Lost????
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well I signed up! Was Free! But now that I found a book it wants to Text me.... so now I am Lost????
How did you do that? Registration is limited to residents of Bexar County, Texas.

Quote:
Who can register for a BiblioTech library card?

​Residents and taxpayers of Bexar County, Texas are eligible to register for a library card. If you live or own property in Bexar County, you an access the collection for free. We are currently in the process of creating a policy to extend access to patrons outside of Bexar County for an annual fee. Please subscribe to our website (the subscribe button is located in the top left corner) to receive updates about the BiblioTech.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:03 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Aren't all three of those entirely cloud-based services? I've been fearing that things are heading this way (since I don't choose to go wireless much).
They are, and so is OverDrive. The collection is downloadable, just like libraries that use OverDrive. This library just happens to use 3M and OneClick instead.

I wouldn't worry about it. There's plenty of room for both types of libraries - traditional and all-digital.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-11-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: to clarify incorrect statement
Old 01-11-2014, 01:06 AM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
How did you do that? Registration is limited to residents of Bexar County, Texas.
It asked me if I wanted to sign up I followed the instruction & did. I also found out how to Download Directly to my Fire HD. BTW I Live in WV.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:31 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I think this is great for residents. I am envious. My library has many ebooks, but not a single cookbook.

I'm sure they will add titles as funds become available. My county library started with 6,000 ebooks and I don't know how many audiobooks. They seem to always have new ones, but mostly, I'm happy to say, more sci fi than they used to get in paper form.
No cookbooks? Wow! You have one of the largest digital collections in the country. Does Hennepin allow reciprocal borrowing with other libraries?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:26 AM   #13
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Apparently, the website allows non-residents to sign-up. I did with no problems. It allowed me to check-out a book and check it back in.

I'm sure this will be corrected soon.

Edit: Just so that I'm clear. This was a test and I won't use the library.

Last edited by Fbone; 01-11-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
freebiefan1
freebiefan1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I will sign up, thanks.
freebiefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Huh?

[QUOTEThe nation’s first all-digital, book-free public library system has opened in San Antonio, with patrons lining up to peruse on online catalog on Apple touch screen computers and check out books on e-readers.][/QUOTE]

If they are "book-free" (I assume that means no books), how can they check out books?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote