Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Force open to cover (first) page?

Hi all,

All of my books have a cover as the first page of the file. When I view the file in Calibre's built in reader, the book opens to the cover.

However, when viewing on my Kindle or in iBooks, the book usually opens to some other page - toc, or page one of chapter one, etc.

As I understand it, this has something to do with the publisher (ebook creator) being able to set a start point.

Question is, is there any way when converting a file to set this 'start point' to the very first page (cover) of the file?

Thanks.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, the start point has to be in the book text the cover is separate and as far as I know there is no way to get the Kindle reader software to open on cover, other than making the cover the first page of the book.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
I've got a few Word documents that I am converting to books. The first one, the kindle opens to the first thing in the word document - an image of a title page. In my second document, it skips all the front matter and goes to the first chapter. How do I fix this? I want it to start on my title page - the first thing in the Word document.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
This is a Kindle question, you'll probably have better luck asking this in the Kindle subforum.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you've not said how you are getting from word format to mobi format to kindle, but kindle's logic is to treat 1st image it is given a a cover, and to "begin" the book on the next page when it is 1st opened.

the 5 way control lets you go "back" to see the cover. many people dislike this, but its how Kindle works & is not open for debate, unless you go to the murky world of kindle hacks....

putting the cover image in twice should fool it / force it to look the way you want it to
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert