Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
I admit! I am chicken!

I was going to wait until B&N upgraded the NC, but who knows when that will be, and I am dying to do other things with my Nook. I found a Youtube that shows you step by step how to do it. I am going to watch it and then maybe take the plunge! Keep your fingers crossed for me! lol

Any tips you have that will help are welcomed...
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Its not that bad, and even if you mess up, its all reversible. Just take a deep breath and take your time, dont get anxious or in a hurry.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
penworth
penworth began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
The guide here is helpful for auto-nooter:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=872490

But I did make a mistake in "Let's get started part," in these steps:
4 Insert AutoNooter SDcard into your NOOKcolor.
5 Plug the USB cable into your computer and your NOOKcolor. (This will boot up the NOOKcolor.)

In steps 4 and 5 it is critical that your NookColor is powered-down all the way. To do this you have to press the power button for around 5-10 seconds (or longer) then a prompt will appear asking you if you want to turn it off.

Also, if you're not sure, it's better to ask first before doing anything else! Generally if you're not sure of anything, don't put the SD Card in your nook yet!

Cheers!
penworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
jenniren
Nook Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Its not that bad, and even if you mess up, its all reversible. Just take a deep breath and take your time, dont get anxious or in a hurry.
Thanks for the moral support! I have watched 2 youtubes on rooting nook colors, and read several websites. I think my problem is there is more then one way to do it! Some have you reboot 8 times to reset it, some don't, some do it from 1.0.0 and some from 1.0.1... Which is the best way? Which is the RIGHT way?

Then after you root it, how do you get it set up like an android with the different screens you can scroll to? I think I am just overwhelmed with info and it leaves me uncertain as to how to do it. And yeah, I am chicken! lol
Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You just have to jump in. It won't start to gel until you have hands on experience.

It makes sense to upgrade your firmware to 1.0.1 and then root. I'm still on 1.0.0 because I rooted prior to the firmware update. The features provided in the update are of no interest to me so I didn't bother to reset, update, and reroot. I disabled automatic updates.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
jenniren
Nook Newb

Which method seems to be the most fool proof - you know, "Rooting for Dummies" lol. Is the auto nooter good?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
There are only two choices, autonooter (auto process) and nooter (manual process). Most prefer the auto process.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
There's actually a 3rd process that is viable now: download the Android froyo 2.2 and install it to an extra SD card ... then boot from that. It won't root your Nook, but you'll be able to have all the fun of an android tablet. I was running it yesterday, and it was quite usable.

When you are done, power down the Nook, pop out the 2.2 SD card, pop in your regular card, and reboot > presto, you are at your regular nook!

Although I love my rooted nook, and the autonooter process is very easy, this new method allows you to experience a rooted nook, w/o rooting!

If you are curious, I'll provide a link.

Jason
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
jenniren
Nook Newb

That would be great Jason, thanks! Might at least help me get my feet wet lol.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Just follow the steps in "NookDevs" they are very detailed and exact.
The link is NookColor Rooting.

They tell you how to upgrade if you have FW 1.0.0 or 1.0.1. I had 1.0.0 but I chose to upgrade first.

Also I do prefer the "auto nooter" tool. They configure and install some key apps and if your scared you might want to go this route since it will calm you nevers a little knowing somebody has already gone through the pains of preconfiguring a nook.

If your like to know the whole process it would be best to do it yourself.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tried out the steps outlined here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=922324

I used the 8gb image on my 16gb card, it just wastes a little space. There are a few other images for different size cards. I would use your FASTEST card you have (class 6 is recommended).

You just need to download the file, and then follow the steps on nookdev.com to put the image on your sd card (I used winimage on my windows 7 pc). It will completely erase your card.

Then, you just put the card in and go. There are few quirks w/ the system - it is still having some bugs worked out. But it seems quite usable. Great for playing around. Read the whole thread I referenced above for working around a few of the quirks (turn screen off then on to get rid of touch lag, turn keyboard off then on to get it to resize properly etc).

The nice think doing it this way, is it has very little impact on the actual nook (there is a temporary file that is created on the real nook in the cache where Nook stores temporary files).

If you like it, you can take that same card; download autonooter, and put that on the card (it will erase the 2.2 froyo image); then boot up with the autonooter, and it will root your Nook.

The test image is actually 2.2. and doesn't have ANY of the Nook software, so it won't be the same experience of rooting your Nook. Rooting your Nook is going to be more stable and have less quirks, but this is a great way to get your feet wet. I love my rooted Nook!

Last edited by jasoraso; 01-21-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Just follow the steps in "NookDevs" they are very detailed and exact.
The link is NookColor Rooting.

They tell you how to upgrade if you have FW 1.0.0 or 1.0.1. I had 1.0.0 but I chose to upgrade first.

Also I do prefer the "auto nooter" tool. They configure and install some key apps and if your scared you might want to go this route since it will calm you nevers a little knowing somebody has already gone through the pains of preconfiguring a nook.

If your like to know the whole process it would be best to do it yourself.

=X=
I upgraded to 1.0.1 and then used autonootered. As far as the froyo sd install, i think I would autonooter first because the froyo install is more of a hack, a toy if you will, not nearly as functional (or fast). Plus it doesnt work with the overclocked kernel GRRRR
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
jasoraso
Addict

Quote:
I upgraded to 1.0.1 and then used autonootered. As far as the froyo sd install, i think I would autonooter first because the froyo install is more of a hack, a toy if you will, not nearly as functional (or fast)
You are right that the froyo is more of a hack; but this new image is similar to the Autonooter in that it has Google apps already installed, including the Market.

One good thing about experimenting w/ the froyo first, is that you can verify that you are creating the SD card properly, before you actually create the autonooter sd card. (although, admittedly, if the card ISN'T created properly for Autonooter, all that will happen is that the Nook will just boot normally).
Old 01-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
The test image is actually 2.2. and doesn't have ANY of the Nook
Yes that is what I'm most interested in. "nookie" is based on ASOP and has no B&N customization on it. That means it will be a full fledge android device so we will not get these half broken process that we see now. The downside is you lose the B&N features if that is what you like.

Me personally I don't use them so I won't miss them.

=X=
Old 01-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
...the froyo install is more of a hack, a toy if you will, not nearly as functional (or fast). Plus it doesnt work with the overclocked kernel GRRRR
I think it's quite the opposite nookie is really the full fledged OS where the nook is the crippled software. The problem is nookie is just not ready for prime time but once it is it will be the better choice of the two.

=X=