Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
redhot
redhot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I need help understanding how to save to disk

I know this has more than likely been covered but to be honest I am having a hard time grasping what I am reading about this particular subject.
When I save my books to disk this is what I would like and if it is possible could someone explain how to do so.

I don't want folders just the files with the name as

Author First name author last name series series index title

example

Stephanie Meyer Twilight 2- New Moon

I hope this makes sense to you....if not let me know and I will try again
redhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot View Post
I know this has more than likely been covered but to be honest I am having a hard time grasping what I am reading about this particular subject.
When I save my books to disk this is what I would like and if it is possible could someone explain how to do so.

I don't want folders just the files with the name as

Author First name author last name series series index title

example

Stephanie Meyer Twilight 2- New Moon

I hope this makes sense to you....if not let me know and I will try again
If that is what you want then go to Preferences - Add/Save - Saving books tab then place the below string in the Save template and click ok. Then go to the drop down arrow next to the Save to Disk icon and select save to a single directory.

{authors} {series} {series_index:0>2s} - {title}
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
redhot

Thank you so much walt.....I knew I needed to change something in there but couldn't wrap my brain around the exact typing of the strand to get it right......Thanks for your expertise!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you so much walt.....I knew I needed to change something in there but couldn't wrap my brain around the exact typing of the strand to get it right......Thanks for your expertise!

Glad to help.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
redhot

Walt or anyone else

Is there a way that if there is no series index that it will just just put nothing instead of two zeros for books not in a series?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Is there a way that if there is no series index that it will just just put nothing instead of two zeros for books not in a series?
No, you have to create a different template for those books that don't have a series or have a good renaming program to remove all the leading zeros in mass.

The good news is that the Save template will save your previous templates in a drop down list so once you have what you want working you can switch between them fast.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
redhot

ok...so they need a different template got it....that doesn't sound to hard but for each template that you have is there a way to make it only process the books that fall into that specific template.....hince series books and non series or do I just have to sort accordingly and then highlight and then save to disk?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
No, you have to create a different template for those books that don't have a series or have a good renaming program to remove all the leading zeros in mass.

The good news is that the Save template will save your previous templates in a drop down list so once you have what you want working you can switch between them fast.
The bad news, is:
You can not remove (just) the bad ones that did not work, allowing you to pick the wrong one from one very similar (say: _ vs - )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
ok...so they need a different template got it....that doesn't sound to hard but for each template that you have is there a way to make it only process the books that fall into that specific template.....hince series books and non series or do I just have to sort accordingly and then highlight and then save to disk?
Just sort via the series column and select all that are not in a series. Select the first non-series book then hold down the shift key and select the last non-series book in the list.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Just sort via the series column and select all that are not in a series. Select the first non-series book then hold down the shift key and select the last non-series book in the list.
search filter
Code:
series:false
or true
Old 06-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
search filter
Code:
series:false
or true
Excellent!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny
There is a trick I use that works well - not perfect, but OK for me, and easier than swapping save templates. I set my output to:
Code:
{series} {series_index:>2s} {title} - {authors}
This tries to leave two spaces in front of the title in the filename when the series and series_index are empty, but the spaces are stripped off during the save process. You end up with all your series sorted together and no sign of a series when there isn't one.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
There is a trick I use that works well - not perfect, but OK for me, and easier than swapping save templates. I set my output to:
Code:
This tries to leave two spaces in front of the title in the filename when the series and series_index are empty, but the spaces are stripped off during the save process. You end up with all your series sorted together and no sign of a series when there isn't one.
Outstanding
Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Code:
Thanks!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
redhot

That is awesome.....thanks for sharing that little jewel of information.....and thanks everybody else for all your help. I am slowly trying to figure out how to work calibre and it has been a slow aggravating process.....