Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Kindle Touch: how to change margin

Good evening!
Sorry to bother you once again.

I would like to know if there is a way to change margin in kindle touch (i.e. set them to near 0).

I found that in K3 there was a reader.pref file to edit.

But I don't think it does exists anymore in KT!

Thanks to all!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindles: Touch, PW1, Voyage
Wink

Hi!

In the menu where you change the font and spacing there is an option to change the number of words per line...

Check if this helps you.
zamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Victoria7500
Victoria7500 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I can't help you unfortunately, but would like to know the same thing about both the Touch and the new basic Kindle, as I haven't decided which one to get yet... I've done this on my K3 and much prefer the smaller margins.

To add more info for others who might be able to help... In the K3 using the Words Per Line option will only get the text to within about 0.5cm of the sides of the screen, which is still a lot of wasted space. There is a system file you can access in a text editor such as Notepad when the Kindle is connected to a PC, which allows you to set the margin to values not available when using the Words Per Line option via the Kindle's own interface. The lowest you can get the margin without editing this file gives a value of 40... I find 20 to be perfect, some people go as far as 10.

If someone with a new Kindle Wifi could have a look for this file, or someone with a Touch could see if they can find anything similar, it would be great.

The location of the file in the K3 is system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pref , and the setting is HORIZONTAL_MARGIN. To see the system folder your PC needs to be set to show hidden files and folders, and not to hide protected operating system files.
Victoria7500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's the point!
I didn't find the reader.pref file, so that I can't alter the margins.

And that's why I asked if I could change them in Kindle Touch!

I would like to see PDFs in full screen (without margins) as I sometimes read comics...
Old 02-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
You can still do this with the K4(non-touch), but NOT with the Kindle Touch. The file you need to change isn't accessable anymore. So no changing of margins or loading custom font without jailbreaking.

This is also why you can't use the kindle collections plugin in calibre with the Touch.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
silver18
THE NOOB

I did the jailbreak, so no problem!
But, still, I can't find a way of changing margins!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
I don't know if there is a way to change margins on the Touch, even with jailbreak. You could try asking in the Developer's Corner.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Talking

Well, with the information provided by Victoria7500 I was able to find the file.

It is in "/var/local/java/prefs/", but, unfortunately, it is a binary file.

BTW, my Kindle Touch is rooted (or jailbreaked, if you come from Appleland...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle_reader_prefs.jpg
Views:	2345
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	82555  
Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
silver18
THE NOOB

I found it a week ago, but I can't edit it!
Hope someone find a way!!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
deleted

Last edited by diba; 02-14-2012 at 07:01 AM.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #11
zamana
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
I found it a week ago, but I can't edit it!
Hope someone find a way!!
I used an HEX editor and the contents of the file just points out to another "preferences" file, so, editing it seems useless.

UPDATE: there is a chance that the margin information, for Kindle Touch, is in some of the SQLite database files around the filesystem...

Last edited by zamana; 02-14-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
Victoria7500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
You can still do this with the K4(non-touch), but NOT with the Kindle Touch. The file you need to change isn't accessable anymore. So no changing of margins or loading custom font without jailbreaking.

This is also why you can't use the kindle collections plugin in calibre with the Touch.
Thanks Tilia!

That's another in my list of pros for the non-touch, then, lol.

Is the file just in the same place as the K3, can you remember?

Victoria
Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
Victoria7500

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
That's the point!
I didn't find the reader.pref file, so that I can't alter the margins.

And that's why I asked if I could change them in Kindle Touch!
I realised that - my post wasn't aimed at telling you where to find the file on the Touch, I was just giving some additional information for those who may not have known about it even on the K3, in the hopes that some knowledgable person might then be able to find the equivalent on the Touch.

Unfortunately it seems that even though they've found it, it may not be much good to you... hopefully someone will come up with some way of editing it on the Touch... fingers crossed!

Out of interest, are the narrowest margins you can set on your Touch just using the Words Per Line feature about the same as you could get on the K3 without editing the file, or have they made them any narrower? I know you want to get rid of them altogether, but just wondering how they'd be for me if I couldn't edit them. Thanks.

Last edited by Victoria7500; 02-14-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #14
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Cool

You can edit that file ( /var/local/java/prefs/reader.pref ) using a hex editor:

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Note that the file length may vary depending on your font selection, so you should start counting from the *end* of the file to find the right bytes to modify (bottom margin = 4th-last byte, etc.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-19-2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: fixed mistake
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 AM   #15
silver18
THE NOOB

Thanks a lot!
I'll try asap!
In the meanwhile, do you know which readers does this hack affect?
I would like to change only PDF reader, if possible!
Thank!!