Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Delete books from Reader software

I have the new Reader for Mac software. I can't delete the books purchased and downloaded from the Sony store.

I bought a book and want to delete it so that it doesn't show up on the bookshelf. But when I select that book and go to More Action button, the Remove label is grayed out. What gives? I want to not have that book show up. I can physically delete the file from My Book folder, but when I launch the software, the book is still there, and if I select the book, it will download again.

How can I remove the book forever ?
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sorry but Sony has intentionally made it so that you can't delete the book. That's why the option is grayed out. I have the same complaint. I wish it were like the old version where you could chose what purchases showed up in the software. They need to add an Archive feature like Kindle which separates stuff you don't want to see from the home library view.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Ok thanks.

I have uninstalled Reader for Mac and went back to the old Reader Library program. For those that want to do that, to uninstalled Reader for Mac, delete the application from Application folder, then go to ~/Library/Application Support and delete the Sony Corporation folder. When you empty the trashcan, there will be a message that it can't be deleted because something related to the Reader for Mac are in use. If you choose Secure Empty, it will delete everything.

To reinstall the Reader Library, I use the setup program that can in the Setting directory of the PRS 950. The director shows up when you plug in the device.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
I'm confused. If it won't let you delete books, how does it handle library books? My local library finally hooked up with Overdrive and started offering ebook lending (and I am now addicted), but the thought of every library book I've ever borrowed still being in the library after being returned is a bit frightening... or would not even Sony do something that stupid?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I'm confused. If it won't let you delete books, how does it handle library books? My local library finally hooked up with Overdrive and started offering ebook lending (and I am now addicted), but the thought of every library book I've ever borrowed still being in the library after being returned is a bit frightening... or would not even Sony do something that stupid?
It does not let you delete books purchased from SONY's own store. You can delete everything else - including books borrowed.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The new software also still has the option to return library books early.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
It does not let you delete books purchased from SONY's own store. You can delete everything else - including books borrowed.
So at least that useful feature is still there. Excellent.

And returning early. Even better. My library only lets me have four ebooks at a time. Gee, thanks, that lasts me all of three days...
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just installed the new reader software because I had synch issues with the old one. So I'm just discovering this new thing. First It forces you to "autorize" your device in order to synch it, and to do it you must sign in to your reader library account. But I worry that this action is so that Sony can monitor what you have on your reader because why else do you need to be connected online to synch your reader ?

In any case, I got a book purchased that I had deleted long ago and it is back. So yeah, if anyone finds out a way to rid one's library of unwanted purchased books, please let us know.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
You need to authorize your device so that DRM books will work
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
My buddy just bought a T1 from BestBuy... when he decided to dl the Sony Library software I advised him to use Calibre if he wanted to use a library manager, the Sony software is useful for drm authorization and firmware updates but not much else, in fact, reading this forum I would say about 90% of the problems are caused by the use/mis-use
of this software, in particular the "sync"function, so far I have 2016 books on my T1 organized into 81 collections using drag n drop, wi-fi and the device software,this includes library books and purchased stuff a few crashes along the way but nothing terrible so if you MUST use a library manager use calibre and RTFM
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I just installed the new reader software because I had synch issues with the old one. So I'm just discovering this new thing. First It forces you to "autorize" your device in order to synch it, and to do it you must sign in to your reader library account. But I worry that this action is so that Sony can monitor what you have on your reader because why else do you need to be connected online to synch your reader ?

In any case, I got a book purchased that I had deleted long ago and it is back. So yeah, if anyone finds out a way to rid one's library of unwanted purchased books, please let us know.
FYI - you don't have to be logged in in order to sync. When you open up the Reader software and the sign-in box pops up, just close it.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote