Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
baldman
baldman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Help me find the book...

Hello fellow readers,

not long ago an article either here or maybe at slashdot led me to a site of an author writing a science fiction novel. I believe it was destined to become a trilogy, but he was just finising the first volume, the finished chapters were available for download. The book (or books) were free of charge and several people had given good testimonies to the story so far.

Now, the sad thing is, i bookmarked the site, bud lost my bookmarks alltogether and now I cannot google the thing as I do not remeber the name of the author or the books. Right now, I'm tearing hair off my head, as I spent few hours hunting for the site with no success. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I would appreciate any hints

Thank you
baldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Just wondering if it may have been Jeffrey Carver?
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
baldman

Unfortunately, that's not it. Although Carver looks good, by the way .)
Old 08-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Maybe Steven Lake?

http://www.realmsofimagination.net/
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
baldman

Well, still no go, but Earthfleet looks interesting :-)

By the way, the site I'm looking for was really similar, but with dark background. Doesn't really help, I know. I hope that someone here knows, what I have in mind.
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wesley Allison's trilogy is outstanding. It is sort of a Victorian world but with steam punk and magic:

The Voyage of the Minotaur
The Dark and Forbidding Land
The Drache Girl

I highly recommend them, even if they aren't the exact ones you are looking for. They are the sort of books that you can't put down.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
baldman

Great suggestion, thank you
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Was it Boyd Morrison? If so, he's been picked up by a traditional publisher, so his books are no longer free. I don't know if he's SF though.

Like the above poster said, I'm surprised it wasn't Jeffrey Carver you were looking for. He's the first who came to mind. (And his site also has a dark background.)
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
baldman

Now it wasnt. The story was more of a traditional science fiction (space ships etc.). I believe the author released the work under creative commons and at the time I looked (say half a year tops) at his site, the book was not finished yet.

I am hunting for it the better part of the day
Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Well, you're certainly getting some good suggestions for other books to read!

Do you remember anything else about the author/book?
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Maybe the Swinward Fringe books by Randolph Lolande? Try cutting and pasting this:

http://www.nightbynight.net/
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
shall1028
Nameless Being

I could just randomly throw some name at you in hopes that it is the correct one but that seems to be inefficient.

How about find an obscure phrase in the "book" and do a search using Bing or Google or your favourite search engine for it and see if something comes up?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please note that we have a sticky thread here for this very purpose.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
baldman

Harry, ok, I didn't see that thread and will move my request there. Thanks for the info. And thank you guys for trying to help.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #15
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldman View Post
Hello fellow readers,

not long ago an article either here or maybe at slashdot led me to a site of an author writing a science fiction novel. I believe it was destined to become a trilogy, but he was just finising the first volume, the finished chapters were available for download. The book (or books) were free of charge and several people had given good testimonies to the story so far.

Now, the sad thing is, i bookmarked the site, bud lost my bookmarks alltogether and now I cannot google the thing as I do not remeber the name of the author or the books. Right now, I'm tearing hair off my head, as I spent few hours hunting for the site with no success. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I would appreciate any hints

Thank you
Well, oddly enough, I did at one time have a whole bunch of free chapters online, but those got taken down after the book was finished. There is a free ebook of the first novel there if you're interested in reading it. I don't know if that's the book you're looking for or not, but I think you'll enjoy it either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, MmavisO!
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote