Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

inexpensive carrying case for the reader

I am more than a little paranoid over carrying the reader anywhere due to the weak cover. Anyway - I was in a local sporting goods store and picked up a $5 plastic padded pistol case that the reader fits in. I'm going to do a little research to find a "fancier" metal case for it, but for $5 I can't argue.

Only issue was walking into work with the security officer looking at me and pointedly asking how I was getting along with my boss
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Pics?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

Will post in a five or six days -away from home & camera right now.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:35 PM   #4
Lin
Lin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm also trying to find a plastic hard case for the reader. That way, when I travel, I can put it in my backpack along with laptop, headphones, etc. and the reader would still be protected.

I'm looking for something small (almost the same size as the reader) and lightweight.
Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
bostonte
Enthusiast
bostonte began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
www.otterbox.com

I don't know if they have one that is the correct size, nor are they the cheapest option -- but these things are awesome. I've used them for years to carry expensive things in my airline luggage. I don't have my reader around to look at the measurements -- but if anyone sees one that looks like it will fit, I'd give it a whirl.
bostonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've got a pretty good set of measurements, and it doesn't look like any of them are in the right neighborhood.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
They look pretty nice!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by exvaxman
I am more than a little paranoid over carrying the reader anywhere due to the weak cover. Anyway - I was in a local sporting goods store and picked up a $5 plastic padded pistol case that the reader fits in. I'm going to do a little research to find a "fancier" metal case for it, but for $5 I can't argue.

Only issue was walking into work with the security officer looking at me and pointedly asking how I was getting along with my boss
You just gave me a brilliant idea. I have this patent leather case I guess it's for cosmetics (sorry guys, not girlish looking though) that just happens to be just slightly larger and the reader fits into it. Not real super thick but will work for added protection. Until I get that other cover that is neoprene, this will work well.. I did have the charging cords in it. Looks like I will take the reader in this. No room for the small light though. Oh well.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've mentioned it several times, I thought it was time to post some pix of my hollow book carrying case, so here they are. I thought the title of this particular book was appropriate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Closed.jpg
Views:	1116
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	2324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Open Closed.jpg
Views:	1458
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	2325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Open Open.jpg
Views:	1223
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	2326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Open Empty.jpg
Views:	1134
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	2327  
Old 12-06-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Looks cool enough......... what did you use to line it with, that blue stuff? Bet that was run digging out that hole.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Ack can't type, had a scare and thought I lost a CC this morning a few minutes ago..... that should have read Bet that was fun digging out that hole...... My hands are really shakey.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I saw a little aluminum carrying case for an iPod at my friendly neighbourhood RadioShack(now "The Source"). Maybe they have other sizes?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #13
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Hey yvanleterrible, I like what you have there too, what is it? LQQKS interesting. I am probably going to get one of those neoprene ones, but since I usually just keep the reader here at the house, it's not a *have to have right now* kind of thing, although I would like to have something for it.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
Bet that was fun digging out that hole
The lining is just glued-in paper, and not as neat a job of it as I'd like. I went to the local hobby store and found some that matched the endsheet fairly closely and used that.

It actually isn't hard to do, the secret is gluing the page edges before you start cutting. There's a link to (really good) instructions here.

I think if I do any more, I'll want to use a Roto-Zip, or something like it, it would reduce an evening's work into just a few minutes.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #15
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Thanks for the link, will bookmark it if I get adventurous