Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
bchaplin
Enthusiast
bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, K3 (Kindle Keyboard)
Temporary Cover for Kindle 2

I bought a shiny new Kindle 2, which I'm quite happy with. I want to read it all the time, including on my commute. However, as I discovered when it arrived, it has absolutely no cover! I ordered one that will take a few days to arrive.

Meanwhile... is there any way to safely transport my Kindle in my briefcase? I just want to avoid scratching the screen. Will a pillowcase do? Any other creative ideas?

I do NOT want to pay anything for the temporary cover, since the one I ordered (from Oberon), is already quite expensive. If there is no safe way to transport it I'll just leave my new toy at home until the cover arrives.
bchaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
I bought a shiny new Kindle 2, which I'm quite happy with. I want to read it all the time, including on my commute. However, as I discovered when it arrived, it has absolutely no cover! I ordered one that will take a few days to arrive.

Meanwhile... is there any way to safely transport my Kindle in my briefcase? I just want to avoid scratching the screen. Will a pillowcase do? Any other creative ideas?

I do NOT want to pay anything for the temporary cover, since the one I ordered (from Oberon), is already quite expensive. If there is no safe way to transport it I'll just leave my new toy at home until the cover arrives.
I doubt a pillowcase or anything else would do the job. Wait.....maybe bubblewrap?

The problem here is that the screen can break quite easily if knocked against something else.

I think you'll love your Oberon cover........which one did you get?

Oh.....and welcome to MobileRead!

Last edited by desertgrandma; 10-29-2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: addendum
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
bchaplin
Enthusiast
bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!
I got the fern-colored "Forest". Should be great!
My briefcase has individual pockets, so I would hope that if the Kindle is in its own pocket it shouldn't have much chance of getting knocked around, and the bubble wrap will provide extra insurance.

Beth
Old 10-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Will there be anything in your briefcase, that is loose, that can push up against the Kindle?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
bchaplin
Enthusiast

Based on the advice I'm getting, nothing but a pair of winged angels, placed there to protect it...
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Athryn
Athryn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I've put my DX in the outside pocket of my laptop case, with my laptop in it, and it seemed to be fine, that was for a short trip though.
Athryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
A temporary cover I have used for e-book devices is an old hard covered diary with pages cut put, place device inside and then a rubber band to hold closed. Better than a couple of winged angels but not as good as a secure cover.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
allenlux
allenlux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
I transported my new Kindle on holiday using a piece of corrugated cardboard folded like a book cover around the Kindle, inside a bubble-wrap "envelope", the whole secured with two rubber-bands. This has survived (so far) various carry-on bags, handbag etc.

I do plan to replace it with a proper cover, but so far I have found no way of getting a good one shipped to Europe without excessive shipping charges, so it's bubble-warp and cardboard for the foreseeable future.
allenlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
bchaplin
Enthusiast

Thanks!
I ended up leaving the Kindle at home, most of the time, and using the original box it came in when I wanted to transport it. Sort of unwieldy, but fortunately the Oberon cover is on its way.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:22 AM   #10
AlecSp
AlecSp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
About the best cheap/free slipcase for a Kindle is an old jiffy bag (.k.a. padded envelope)
AlecSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Thread is close to two years old, Phillip!
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote