Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I don't think reading is good or bad in itself. I enjoy reading, while other people prefer going to the movie, listening to music, hanging out with buddies, or collecting "friends" on Facebook. Does that make me a better person than they are? I doubt it. I certainly have access to things they are missing on, but I'm also missing on things they enjoy (well, except for the Facebook thing, I'll just pass, thank you very much).
I agree. I also think that this opinion that "it is better to read more" is something that is not true anymore. There are now so many alternative way to be stimulated and get inputs that I have a hard time seeing why reading should be better than other activities.

I do not choose books because they are good for me. I think I mostly read for the same reason I eat good dinners. It is an entertaining activity. And since I mostly read genre books it increases my knowledge of the genre and that leads to more enjoyment in other non-reading activities related to this genre (e.g. going to science fiction conventions).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I read mostly as escapism. It's a way to dive into a completely different world and forget my troubles.

I've also read plenty of books that caused me to find out more about what the books was talking about. So, my knowledge got expanded in those areas (like I'm currently reading a book about the Knight Templars).

But in all books, you need to know the overal picture. If I take the example from FlorenceArt, let's see you read Mein Kampf and didn't know anything about Hitler (I've not read that book, so I've no idea how it is written). You are interrested, so you will start looking for other sources (and hopefully find out that Hitler was evil). It would be bad if you took the book on facevalue. But that goes for TV as well.

So, I think, all reading is good, but always believing what an author writes, isn't.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #18
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Having worked in a library, and as a reading teacher, there is no such thing as 'bad reading'. If a student reads a manga, a comic, a below level chapter book, or even an epic novel, its all good. They are reading.

Forcing a student to read is counter productive. I've seen it happen. The school librarian was of the 'lead a horse to water and hold its head in until it drinks' philosophy. She forced the students to read a certain amount, of appropriate material, each grading period, and was astonished when very few actually tried to do so. Five years down the road and most of those students STILL do not read. Tried telling her that a horse won't drink just because it's forced in the water, it will drown. I found the Illustrated Classics to be a good way to introduce the stories, and some students became hooked enough to try the original.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #19
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Nothing wrong with reading for escapism, though I would not say that it was good for you except for relaxation.
But reading the same type of thing over and over and not exposing yourself to new ideas and ways of thinking is no better for you than watching "Big Brother" on TV.

On the other hand, much of the sci-fi that I read for entertainment as a teenager exposed me to some concepts new to someone growing up in the rural South. Especially the better writers like Heinlein, Delany, Leiber, Ellison, Clarke, et al.

Still, I know educators and librarians are all for any method to get kids to read, but Stephanie Meyers is more likely to lead to Barbara Cartland rather than James Baldwin.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
I use "personalized recomendations" system on (russian) site http://fantlab.ru/ - it has a system of predicting your rating for the books you did not read based on your current ratings for books and others' ratings.

Plus I read several blogs of people who are known to be able to find good books to read somehow.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #21
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Even a crappy book can increase your vocab.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #22
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Having worked in a library, and as a reading teacher, there is no such thing as 'bad reading'. If a student reads a manga, a comic, a below level chapter book, or even an epic novel, its all good. They are reading.

Forcing a student to read is counter productive. I've seen it happen. The school librarian was of the 'lead a horse to water and hold its head in until it drinks' philosophy. She forced the students to read a certain amount, of appropriate material, each grading period, and was astonished when very few actually tried to do so. Five years down the road and most of those students STILL do not read. Tried telling her that a horse won't drink just because it's forced in the water, it will drown. I found the Illustrated Classics to be a good way to introduce the stories, and some students became hooked enough to try the original.
As an elementary level teacher, I couldn't agree more. I even tell parents to let the kids read the cereal box while they are eating their breakfast. Any reading will help build a child's vocabulary. If they ask questions about what they're reading, all the better. Letting them read material that they find interesting will foster an interest in reading. If a child likes sports, find reading material centered around a sports theme, if they have a hobby, find books about that hobby, etc. It's all good!

Personally, I read for pleasure or as an escape. The books I choose are not considered intellectual, I read a lot of romance. They may not be on the level that some consider "worthy" by my brain is engaged much more than if I were watching some inane sitcom or reality show on television.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok, here's my two cents:

Yes, all reading is good...

'nuff said.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #24
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
I use "personalized recomendations" system on (russian) site http://fantlab.ru/ - it has a system of predicting your rating for the books you did not read based on your current ratings for books and others' ratings.
I use those systems too, and they are useful, but the problem is that they will keep showing you books that are similar to the ones you've been reading. You can end up running in a circle rather fast: you buy more similar books because they were recommended, and the system will keep proposing the same kind of book, which you buy...

A few months ago I was visiting Librarything to add a book that I had just finished (and found rather interesting). I noticed the "will you like it?" button and tried it, and Librarything told me that I would absolutely, definitely and without a doubt hate that book. Just because it was different from what I had been adding to my library on that site
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #25
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I can confirm that reading books is great for your vocabulary. I learned most of my English reading books. I remember that the first word I learned this way was "sword". Very useful when you arrive at the airport
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #26
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I read for three reasons: To learn something; to share in an intellectual or emotional experience; and just to escape. Any of these things can be enough reason to read. However, it's the things you don't set out to do... for instance, to find a description for a place you've never been to, that you might now want to visit for yourself... or to learn new words and phrases, or discover the histories behind words and phrases... or to be presented with points of view that you have never imagined before... these are the real gems you get from reading, and often the most lasting memories you can get from a book.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #27
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Not all reading is good - but you have to determine what's good and what's bad by yourself.
When I was a child I liked UFO and Bermuda Triangle "books", and it took some time to realise that I was losing my time reading lies.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #28
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I read because I'm an ex-English department grad student and I can't help myself But seriously, I read to learn, to stretch my mind and to escape.

Perhaps the most important for me is seeing the world through another person's eyes.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #29
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
They may not be on the level that some consider "worthy" by my brain is engaged much more than if I were watching some inane sitcom or reality show on television.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, here's my two cents:

Yes, all reading is good...

'nuff said.

BOb
Argh! I'm about to post that Kaz & BOb have summed up my thoughts on it, when the more analytical (or annoying, take your pick) part of my brain picks up on the word "good", and asks me whether what I consider good is the same as what other people might consider good.

Personally, I think all reading is good - be it the latest Dan Brown (I can't stand his writing, but I'd sooner hear people talk about that than what was on Brother's Got Strictly X-Factor or whatever) or one of the "classics" of literature.

But I can also see situations where some people would think that some reading is bad - because it gives people the wrong ideas, gives them ambition, gives them information about the world at large, out of fear that once they've read something they'll become corrupted by it and go on to enact what they've read etc. None of these are viewpoints I support (in fact they're viewpoints I try to challenge), but I understand that others might have them.

As for choosing my reading material, I choose it based on how interesting it sounds to me. As simple, or as complex, as that. That does mean at times I've bought pbooks in enough of a range of subjects and/or genres that the cashier has assumed I'm buying for multiple people
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #30
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I can confirm that reading books is great for your vocabulary. I learned most of my English reading books. I remember that the first word I learned this way was "sword". Very useful when you arrive at the airport
Did they let you through?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote