Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
sethosayher
sethosayher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
A few questions regarding rooted Simple Touches

I just bought a Nook Simple Touch which I rooted a few days ago. I'm liking it so far, but I've been having a few issues (and questions).

1. I downloaded and installed Aldiko via the amazon app store. It launched when I first install it but now it doesn't work. The screen just flashes when I press the icon. Does anyone know what this is? I uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.

2. Is it possible to download an apk via Opera Mobile and install it on the NST? Or do I have to put it on an SD card? I want to install Cool Reader. If I have to use an SD card, do I have to erase everything on the card?
sethosayher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
1. I don't know that answer to this; I've installed a number of apps including Aldiko and Cool Reader, and never encountered any that flashed and did not start. Did you reboot the Nook and try again? Perhaps someone else can help you. A great resource for all things rooted is the xda-developers

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1198

I've found them knowledgeable and willing to answer questions.

2. There are various ways to install apps. If you can't simply install them as you did Aldiko, but rather have them on your pc (many apps can be found on the internet that can be downloaded to a computer), then I've found it easiest to install appinstaller.apk from google play. If the apps are on your pc, then download the app on your pc that you'd like to install to the sd card and run appinstaller - the app is installed. I started with a newly formatted 4 gig sd card because I load the ebooks on my pc to the nook sd card using the usb cable, but the card does not need to be erased. Before you disconnect the Nook, be sure to eject it via Windows Explorer or like program.

Last edited by bobcdy; 05-10-2012 at 01:26 AM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethosayher View Post
I just bought a Nook Simple Touch which I rooted a few days ago. I'm liking it so far, but I've been having a few issues (and questions).

1. I downloaded and installed Aldiko via the amazon app store. It launched when I first install it but now it doesn't work. The screen just flashes when I press the icon. Does anyone know what this is? I uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.

2. Is it possible to download an apk via Opera Mobile and install it on the NST? Or do I have to put it on an SD card? I want to install Cool Reader. If I have to use an SD card, do I have to erase everything on the card?
Don't you have access to google market? you can install coolreader from it.
If you don't want to install google market. Install dropbox from amazon market.
Just copy coolreader apk file to your dropbox folder on your computer then you can download and install it using dropbox app.
You can get the latest version of coolreader from here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...r3/cr3-3.0.57/

And if you don't have a dropbox account you can sign up using my referral link we both will get an extra 500mb.
http://db.tt/aaaPuoc

I keep my whole ebook library on dropbox so can download any book I want to my nook touch.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I want to install Cool Reader. If I have to use an SD card, do I have to erase everything on the card?
I think that Dopedangel gave you a very thorough answer, but you certainly do NOT need to install an app to the SD card if you have rooted Android. If you are rooted you should have access to the Google Android Play Store, where you can download and install CoolReader all in one simple process. FWIW whenever you see reference to the Google Market it really refers to what is now called the Play Store. IMHO a dumb name, but that is what the app is called if you see it on your rooted device.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I think that Dopedangel gave you a very thorough answer, but you certainly do NOT need to install an app to the SD card if you have rooted Android. If you are rooted you should have access to the Google Android Play Store, where you can download and install CoolReader all in one simple process. FWIW whenever you see reference to the Google Market it really refers to what is now called the Play Store. IMHO a dumb name, but that is what the app is called if you see it on your rooted device.
Actually its still market for android 2.1 devices and below like the nook touch
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Good to know!!! Thanks !!!

I am using the Nook Color, but I am running CyanogenMod on it and the Market disappeared to be replaced by the Play Store a few months ago. My bad.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:

You might try to use FixPermissions in NookTouchTools (assuming you have it), it fixed app crash/forced-close problems with this sort of symptoms on my Nook Tablet.
Quote:
You should be able to use a browser to google-search for an app, browse to its installation page and hit the install button to install the app.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
And in case the search function of the Market app doesn't work, the SearchMarket app can be used as a workaround.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
2. There are various ways to install apps. If you can't simply install them as you did Aldiko, but rather have them on your pc ...
Above is a quote from my response to the OP. Yes, one can install apps from google play, etc. or amazon as did the OP. However, many android users prefer where possible to download the apps to their pc. Once on the pc there are various ways to install the apps (see above quote).

One is by dropbox; I've tried this and it is r-e-a-l-l-y slow, at least on my computer and I have a fast connection. Of course dropbox is great for obtaining a file from a remote computer site, and for storing ebooks as Dopedangel suggested although I prefer my own computer with backups and downloading by usb.

Another way is what I suggested - use the usb cable connection, download the app to the sd card, install it using installer.apk. - it takes two stages, the download to sd card and then using the installer.apk but overall is much quicker than dropbox.

Another way is by adb wireless that comes with the rooted nook ST, but this is slow and requires pc installation of android sdk. I've tried this also but found it to be least useful for simple app installs.

I agree fullly with livramax: the SearchMarket app is very useful. I never could get Market to do a successful search of google play.

Last edited by bobcdy; 05-11-2012 at 11:25 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
livramax
Addict

I notice on my rooted NST the "white" background of the home screen as well as the app screen of many apps that were added as part of or subsequent to the rooting process tend to exhibit image ghosting, yet the BN stock ereader's screen does exhibit this problem.

Anyone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it?