Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
2.0.3 and still have ghosting

Is any one else still having ghosting issues? When I wake the Kindle 2 I can still see the image from the screen save (at times) and other times I can see something in the top and bottom edges (like the times and slide to wake kindle)
I know that I can just use Alt G to refresh the screen but I feel that I should not have to do that.

Arg!!!
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
You have to do that. Everyone has the same problem. Why they don't do a full-refresh on slide-wake I don't know.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and it happens at random too that is what i dont get
Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I don't know either. You'd think it'd be a easy solution.

Coding wise it should just be as simple as: Upon wakeup call alt-g refresh code.

There is either a lack of communication in the software development area in relation to feature/problem requests, or the whole device is written in archaic spaghetti code.

Personally I requested that they just add an option to turn OFF the whole "screen saver". It's not needed, and I wouldn't mind the device just keeping my current page loaded.

BTW I'm still running the older 2.0.2 version with the pdf converter, and custom screen saver mods. Is there anything noticeably different or new options in 2.0.3?
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Actually there's one good reason to not keep you current page displayed - the buttons are disabled when the screen saver turns on which prevents accidental page turns.

Granted the same could be accomplished by just blanking the screen...
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard

I think everything would be solved by simply blanking out the screen on sleep mode and then doing a refresh when wake...
I also noticed the ghosting is worse when out in sunlight... the screen saver picture suffered from ghosting and so did the text when I hit the menu key
Old 04-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't really understand the above. The text always "ghosts" when you hit the Menu key. If you're seeing fading of text after a page turn in sunlight then you need a replacement Kindle; good ones don't have that problem.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
So, is there any compelling reason to bother turning on Wispernet and get this update, or not?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur

*I* think the text is darker on the smaller font sizes than it was before, but the complainers disagree.

There's a post from a hacker that claims that the USB networking hack no longer works under 2.0.3, but that's not an issue for most people.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Don't really understand the above. The text always "ghosts" when you hit the Menu key. If you're seeing fading of text after a page turn in sunlight then you need a replacement Kindle; good ones don't have that problem.
It is a little hard to explain but when you are reading a book and you press the menu key, it brings up the menu on the right side and it makes the book text lighter than it was before. When you press back, you can still sort of read the menu bar text.
In the sun, when I put the K2 to sleep, you can still read part of the text on the screen saver picture...

I tried to take a screen shot but it does not show the ghosting. Maybe I need to use a camera to see if it comes out...
Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur

But you don't see any fading when you hit next page in the sunlight?

Regardless, sounds like a defective screen to me.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
But you don't see any fading when you hit next page in the sunlight?

Regardless, sounds like a defective screen to me.
I am on the phone with them right now and they are going to send me another one and it will get one to me by this Wed that is pretty quick. Hopefully this will clear the issues up
Old 04-26-2009, 05:53 AM   #13
rubikscube99
Enthusiast
rubikscube99 began at the beginning.

hey!
that is completely normal... the text will fade on to the screen saver if it has been on the page for a long time.. its just ghosting. A lot of forums complain about this, i have noticed it too, but when i wake my kindle, it does a full page refresh and gets rid of the ghosting. Pressing ALT G after a long period of sleep really shouldnt be that much trouble? and about the sunfade issue.. this is really strange? i have fading in the sun (eh il live with it.. i don't live in the US). It works PERFECTLY in the shade, and when i hold it up to my reading lamp (full brightness, and 2 inches away from the lamp) it does NOT fade and maintains perfect contrast... strange no? UV related?
rubikscube99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:06 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If you're seeing fading of text after a page turn in sunlight then you need a replacement Kindle; good ones don't have that problem.
Sorry, I disagree. All eInk screens "fade" somewhat in strong direct sunlight. It's a characteristic of the technology.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur

My Kindle 2 does not fade, either via page turn or hitting menu, in direct sunlight. A simple UV coating (I assume) prevents this; perhaps this is why some screens have the issue and others do not.