Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #46
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also, the installation instructions categorically have you create a custom column with that name, so stating it is hardcoded within calibre is disingenuous.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #47
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Actually, Calibre does define the name of a custom column. ISBN is a custom column, 3. The user is unable to define the field name, which is isbn, or to change its column-heading, ISBN. Its entry in the custom_column table is shown in the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	custom_column_table.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	128631  
Old 09-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #48
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Also, the installation instructions categorically have you create a custom column with that name, so stating it is hardcoded within calibre is disingenuous.
Who said it was hardcoded in Calibre? Nobody.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #49
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
Actually, Calibre does define the name of a custom column. ISBN is a custom column, 3. The user is unable to define the field name, which is isbn, or to change its column-heading, ISBN. Its entry in the custom_column table is shown in the attached image.
Not sure what ISBN has to do with Define Genres, or anything else, but in one of my libraries I have the ISBN as this -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	128632

BR - Ψ²
Old 09-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Sorry, I don't have a column called ISBN. And I checked several libraries. But, ISBN is a bit different. It is one of the examples "Quick create" custom columns. When I did create the column in a library, I had no problems going into the column editing and changing the lookup name and column heading.

As I said, I looked at several libraries. A couple have no custom columns. The custom_columns table has no entries in it.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Who said it was hardcoded in Calibre? Nobody.
Well, you did. Or at least, that is the only way that I can interpret what you said in response to BetterRed's request. It appears you meant something completely different to what we have interpreted your statement. Can you explain what you meant?
Old 09-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #52
DaltonST
Deviser

She said she was required to have the word Genre on the column heading in the GUI, and she did not like that. I said that Calibre knows the custom column by its field name, #genre, and by nothing else. Hence, she can call it Title or Tags if she wishes; Calibre could not care less. Calibre knows it by its field name, and nothing else.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #53
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
She said she was required to have the word Genre on the column heading in the GUI, and she did not like that. I said that Calibre knows the custom column by its field name, #genre, and by nothing else. Hence, she can call it Title or Tags if she wishes; Calibre could not care less. Calibre knows it by its field name, and nothing else.
But she cares - the cat's mother that is!

Because she wants to use the internal name in templates and maybe in her own python scripts, besides in one of her libraries she already has a Genre/#genre column which predates your PI by a couple years - anyway she says forget it.

BR
Old 09-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #54
DaltonST
Deviser

Version 1.1.4 - 21 September 2014 User can now define the column name itself
Old 09-30-2014, 03:46 AM   #55
StillReading
Enthusiast
StillReading began at the beginning.

I'm quite interested in using this plugin, thanks for providing it to the community! The setup and usage instructions are a little confusing to me though.

Maybe some of you guys can help me out a little:
  • Where exactly do you save the CSV files when using the CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH env variable? Explanation: my eBook files are located on a NAS, the Calibre db on a local SSD. I'm not sure whether to place the CSV files in the Calibre db path (which would be on the SSD in my case) or in the path where my eBooks are stored (NAS in my case)
  • Do I have to save the CSV files on the same directory level as the Calibre db or really the parent directory? Explanation: let's say my metadata.db file is stored in "C:\Test\Calibre-DB\" (Windows user, obviously (; ). Are the CSV files supposed to be located on that same directory level, or in "C:\Test\"?
  • I'd like to use the plugin for a very simple purpose: assigning a value based on author name alone. Ideally, the author name should be looked up in two variations linked with an OR: "<first name> <last name>" and "<last name>, <first name>". How should I setup the CSV files in that case? Could someone maybe provide a simple example for that use case?

Last edited by StillReading; 09-30-2014 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #56
DaltonST
Deviser

User Instructions

StillReading,

Please see page 16 of the instructions. The .csv files must be placed in the parent directory of your library. Your library is where the metadata.db resides. The plugin uses metadata.db, not your ebooks themselves. In theory, you could put a copy of your metadata.db by itself, with no ebooks, anywhere you wish, and then place your .csv files in the parent directory of that location. Use Calibre Quick Switch to point Calibre to that metadata.db. After updating Genre, you could move it back to where it came from.

The plugin views Tag Rules as taking precedence over Author Rules, which are just a fallback. Tag Rules are sophisticated and use Boolean logic and equations. However, if you use a dummy Tag Rules .csv file with just the header row (always required) and perhaps a dummy rule line, you would then force the logic to always go after the Author Rules.

Regarding "firstname lastname" and "lastname, firstname" in the Author Rules .csv file, the info you seek is at the top of page 11 in the instructions. The plugin automatically converts the latter to the former (in lower case) for proper matching, so use whichever format pleases you. Using both would be redundant, causing the second one to be discarded as a duplicate of the first format.

Tag Rules use Boolean logic. Author Rules are based on simple exact matches. If some of your books have an author of "H.G. Wells" and others have an author of "Herbert G. Wells" and/or "Herbert George Wells", then you would need 3 rows in the Author Rules .csv file. However, personally, I would standardize my Author Names using > Alter Tag Browser > Manage Authors, Tags, etc. > Manage Authors. It makes mass changes a breeze.

Don't overlook the Unicode (UTF-8) requirement for saving your .csv files. See page 17 of the instructions.

DaltonST
Old 10-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #57
DaltonST
Deviser

Example .csv Files

There are many examples of the required 3 .csv files attached to the Original Post.

This plugin will not do anything at all unless the attached supporting files are downloaded and located exactly according to the instructions. Below is the link to the OP attachment itself. Click the link to download it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...6&d=1406980979

Forum rules allow only one (1) .zip file per OP (i.e., the plugin itself) so that the Calibre plugin scraper will not be confused. So, this is a .txt file that is really a .zip file. Download it, and rename it to a .zip extension. Extract the files according to the instructions.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #58
spelmangrad
spelmangrad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Help with error.....please?

Hello,

Totally disregarding the drama, I am hoping I can get some help with an error I am receiving. Originally, I though it was relative to the file format, but I got onto another computer that had MS Excel 2007 and was able to format in the correct csv format. Therefore, any assistance or advice relative to the below error, would be very helpful:

Starting job: Derive Genres
Deriving Genres for 9 Books
Selected Books fewer than 10,001. SQLite in-memory database in use.
C:/Calibre Library Current/metadata.db
Calibre metadata.db has been properly attached
C:tags_to_genres_rules.csv
C:authors_to_genres_rules.csv
C:tags_to_genres_language_nonfiction.csv
CSV File Import Error. See Instructions. [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:tags_to_genres_rules.csv'
.csv Non-Fiction Language Keywords file imported
Calibre metadata.db has been detached
.csv Author Rules file is available but import is deferred until needed
WARNING: fiction rules = factual rules; possible but not likely. Check your .csv Tag Rules file.
.csv Tag Rules file imported
Number of Selected Books to Process: 9
Number of Rules for Fiction/Poetry Processed: 0
Number of Rules for Factual Processed: 0
Number of Rules for Authors Processed: 1
Number of Multi-Language Factual Keywords: 1
Number of Books for Which Tags Were Gathered: 9
Number of Factual Books Identified: 0
Number of Non-Factual Books Identified: 9
Number of New Genres Derived from Rules: 0
Number of Books With No Applicable Rules: 9
Genre Derivation ended normally

Is it possible that has anything to do with the fact that I have no tags on my books? If so, then the authors rules should have picked up.

Please advise.

Thanks so much in advance!

SKW
Old 11-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #59
DaltonST
Deviser

Your job log explains the problem. The import of the Tag Rules file failed. You must have all 3 UTF8 formatted .csv files available to properly import even if you have no Tags in your Library and do not intend to use any Tag Rules. The user guide makes that clear. However, the Tag Rules .csv can be almost empty, with just the header row containing the column names, but it must be UTF8 and must still exist.

All 3 files must physically exist. Their encoding must be UTF8.

I have never seen them properly encoded via Excel. Although I personally have MS Office 2010, I had to use Open Office Calc to get them properly saved as UTF8 encoded. As the user guide states, don't use Excel 2010 (and 2007 has nothing that 2010 does not have).

DaltonST

Last edited by DaltonST; 11-26-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #60
spelmangrad
spelmangrad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you, and I appreciate your follow up. I guess my confusion is that I did have all 3 applicable files formatted appropriatedly. To be sure, I made several copies of the files - and went through your document step, by step. Further, following the documentation (I am BIG on documentation myself), I made sure to put the files in the correct directory as indicated in the instructions.

I guess what I was looking for was something beyond what I could read, i.e. MAYBE there is an issue with "so and so." I received the error about 4 times and each time, I went back and made changes....all to no avail.

Again, I appreciate your follow up. I will give it one more go, and if that does not work - I am going to scrap it. I do not want to keep spinning on something that does not want to seem to work for me.

Regards,

SKW
Closed Thread

Tags
.csv, custom column, genre