Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Kobo owners: How many page turns do you get on a single battery charge?
0-500 3 12.00%
500-1000 5 20.00%
1000-2000 13 52.00%
2000-3000 2 8.00%
3000-4000 0 0%
4000-6000 1 4.00%
6000-8000 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Poll: How many page turns do you get per charge

Kobo claim that a battery charge should last for 8000 pages, but reports vary wildly, and some users claim they manage less than 500 page turns per battery charge.

I am very interested to know how many page turns Kobo Reader owners actually get per battery charge, to give us an accurate idea of what the "average" Kobo owner can expect from their Reader. Hopefully this poll will help demystify the marketing hype!

To be clear about my definition, a "page turn" is a refresh of the Kobo's eInk screen - when it goes black and then displays a new page of text. Not to be confused with the number of "pages" an ebook contains, as displayed at the bottom of the Reader's screen.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
I counted my page refreshes on my last charge. I got 1500, plus turning it off and on twice. At the rate I read, it only lasted a couple days.
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm probably in the 1000-2000 range, I didn't count exactly and I turn my Kobo off after I'm done reading each time. Plus I have a SD Card in my Kobo so it does the processing set each time I turn the device on.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm definitely in the 4000 to 5000 page turn range, maybe higher. No SD card. I use the small font most of the time.

Using the SD card will definitely use up your battery faster. How much, I have no idea.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
urbanite
urbanite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I didn't vote in this one since I have no idea ... I read for a week or so, I never turn it off, my battery shows about half to 3/4 (that's after a cycle off/on), and I plug it in if I remember about once a week while I'm at work. Since my BlackBerry charger works fine with the Kobo, and it's always plugged in, it's pretty easy to flip my phone with my Kobo.

The BlackBerry has to be charged EVERY night.

My Kobo gets the occasional small charge a couple of times a week when I use Calibre to throw some more content on.

So my answer on "how many page turns" I get per charge is: more than enough.
urbanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm definitely in the 4000 to 5000 page turn range, maybe higher. No SD card. I use the small font most of the time.

Using the SD card will definitely use up your battery faster. How much, I have no idea.
Yeah, even though I'm in the 1000 - 2000 range (as a guesstimate) I'm sure I could get much more if I didn't use the SD Card, and I didn't power down as often as I do.

Once I get all my books sorted out better I might move my books to the built-in storage.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
I am still amazed at the people who are able to count page turns on their eBook readers. I'm more of a Mr. Owl (with a tootsie pop).... Let's see now how many page turns does it take to drain the battery: 1, 2, 3, followed by lots of elapsed time being engrossed in a story and "Oh yeah, I was supposed to be counting page turns, now wasn't I?"
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanite View Post
I didn't vote in this one since I have no idea ... I read for a week or so, I never turn it off, my battery shows about half to 3/4 (that's after a cycle off/on), and I plug it in if I remember about once a week while I'm at work. Since my BlackBerry charger works fine with the Kobo, and it's always plugged in, it's pretty easy to flip my phone with my Kobo.

The BlackBerry has to be charged EVERY night.

My Kobo gets the occasional small charge a couple of times a week when I use Calibre to throw some more content on.

So my answer on "how many page turns" I get per charge is: more than enough.
+1 to all above. That's the exact same boat I am in. It's nice to have an electronic device that doesn't need to be charged daily.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
I am still amazed at the people who are able to count page turns on their eBook readers.
I just do it by the page numbers in the book. Currently I'm reading a book with 768 'pages', each page displays for two page refreshes, so that book is aprox ~1500 page turns. One some books one 'page' will span 3 page turns, so I multiply by 3 to get the total page refreshes. I certainly wouldn't be able to count every single page while engrossed in a book!

Or for one of the pre-loaded books, which displays only the chapter page count, and where one page converts to one page turn, I just re-tally when I begin each chapter.

Last edited by artificial; 06-02-2010 at 05:28 PM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

I have the box ready to go to send back the device, but if everybody is getting about 1000 pages turns, I am doubting if I should...
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by terifili View Post
I have the box ready to go to send back the device, but if everybody is getting about 1000 pages turns, I am doubting if I should...
I sent mine back and I'm waiting for my replacement. If it ends up with the same battery life, I guess I'll just live with it...
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote