Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Ann Coulter and Civility

Self-proclaimed polemicist and "mean-spirited, bigoted conservative (second)". Ann Coulter is the author of seven books, so far, and ranks at the top of many liberal and non-liberal hate lists, as well as many conservative worship rolls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Coulter

Personally, I think Ann is the funniest writer in the past 20 years. Don't agree? Who cares?

Well armed is well-informed, and I'll be reading Ms. Coulter and her critics in the coming months. To learn how to debate with fanatics, you have to learn about their thought processes and verbal tactics. From Maguire's book, Brainless - The Lies and Lunacy of Ann Coulter:

"When Ann calls Darwinism a “makebelieve story, based on a theory that is a tautology, with no proof in the scientist’s laboratory,” she violates the skeptic’s guideline that scientific language does not make science (note her use of the word “tautology”) as well as erroneously transferring the burden of proof back onto evolutionary theorists."

Now, the theory of evolution is a serious subject. Readers of all persuasions should be arguing about this topic, instead of silly technology issues. Another thread on this sub-forum addressed the issue of civility on Mobileread, and wondered, where has it gone? Freedom of speech has gone into extreme orbit, thanks to the internet, cable tv, and public airways. We're never going back to the dignified ways of the past. So many threads seem to degenerate into childish diatribes, I wonder what sort of meds some of our readers are on. For example, why do people get so vociferous about e-ink vs. lcds?

If I start out a new thread/poll about what color should eReaders be sold in (red, white, black, or blue?), I'm sure I'll see 150 replies and half a dozen hijack attempts. Can't we all just grow up? But this time, I'll have my trainer (Ann Coulter) by my side. Lol.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Go ahead and discuss Ann Coulter, and possibly Evolutionary theory. Just keep it civil or the thread will be closed.

pshrynk (moderator)
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Go ahead and discuss Ann Coulter, and possibly Evolutionary theory. Just keep it civil or the thread will be closed.

pshrynk (moderator)
Might as well save the hassle and close the thread now.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Ann Coulter and Civility
An oxymoron.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
So does Ann think the Sun rotates around the Earth?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 12:12 AM   #6
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Moderator, please close this thread NOW. My faith in my fellow MobilRead forum members is restored. No one came to the defense of Ms. Coulter. I am ashamed to call her a fellow American and New Yorker (although she was born elsewhere). No money will go into her coffers, at least from this book buyer.

I have chosen to spend my money elsewhere. Amazon has a 15 Book Box Set of Roald Dahl's writings up for pre-order. No finer author ever lived- and by this I mean a mensch and a writer. The man had a heart.

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Author...008184,00.html

Hurry up Penguin, and get his box set released! I can't wait.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Go ahead and discuss Ann Coulter, and possibly Evolutionary theory.
I'm just saddened that nobody has made one of those "March of Progress" cartoons for "the evolution of Ann Coulter" that I could google up.

Her name does reaffirm Internet Rule 34, though.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
So does Ann think the Sun rotates around the Earth?
No, she believes the Earth rotates around her.
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
The mental image this creates is giving me a headache! (Imagine the world as a slug type thing, moving globularly around a fixed point on itself...)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
The mental image this creates is giving me a headache! (Imagine the world as a slug type thing, moving globularly around a fixed point on itself...)

Besides, this can't be right, because I know the earth revolves around ME
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:34 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post

Besides, this can't be right, because I know the earth revolves around MR

Just a small correction there Florence ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote