Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
central11
central11 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question How a Latin American living in Africa could buy American magazine subscriptions:

Dear friends,
How are you? I am planning to buy the new US$ 189.00 Kindle but I have some doubts. My main interest is using the device to read magazines such as The Economist and New Yorker -- both of them not available outside U.S.

I currently live in Mali and my credit card is from Brazil. My plan was to set up an American account using a pre-paid credit card and shipping it to a friend of mine in Canada, who is going soon to Brazil. Then I would use Amazon's gift cards to buy my magazines.

Do you know if I will succeed in my plan? What secure websites do you recommend to buy pre-paid credit cards?

Best,
central11
central11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
central11

I have just read a blog in which the author says that even if you use an international credit card in your Amazon account but attaches to it a US address, you can easily use Amazon gift cards to make subscriptions. It that true?
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
you'll probably want to watch out for the magazine delivery fees US residents experience when traveling or living internationally. Unless somebody wants to correct me? I believe that magazines cannot be downloaded to a computer first and there is a $4.99/week charge to download them via Whispernet?

I have a hard time keeping current with this issue because I don't travel internationally often. But unless Amazon has changed their policy that's the way it used to be.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
central11

Well, but if I download to my computer and than transfer it to my Kindle using the USB craddle I think this fee would not exist. Is that right?

But even if they charge me some dollars the situation is better than not having the option to subscribe the magazine.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
you have a good plan however using prepaid card do u think it can work?
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
If you look at the subscription pages, and look at how you can buy, you can't download them to Kindle4PC or Kindle4Mac, they have to be sent via Whispernet. Which has extra charges outside the US.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:52 AM   #7
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
arent these extra charges only for kindle US customers outside the US? I thought if my amazon account is foreign then one does not have to pay the whispernet charges???
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:00 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 901hw View Post
arent these extra charges only for kindle US customers outside the US? I thought if my amazon account is foreign then one does not have to pay the whispernet charges???
That is true, but since the original poster points out that the magazines he wants are not available outside the US, that's hardly pertinent to the discussion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
central11

Harry is right. I should be an American buyer to subscribe the magazines. But the cost of whispernet is much lower than the shipping costs of a normal magazine.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Well, but if I download to my computer and than transfer it to my Kindle using the USB craddle I think this fee would not exist. Is that right?

But even if they charge me some dollars the situation is better than not having the option to subscribe the magazine.
yes. That is true for books and I know that their are plenty of people who do it. But as far as I know there is no way to download magazines to a computer and transfer them over. Those have to be sent wirelessly to the Kindle device which will AFAIK incur the fee.

Maybe this will change with the WiFi models?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Maybe this will change with the WiFi models?
It's not exactly the same case, but I wondered about the price difference in ebooks between the US and the European Kindle store. AFAIK, we pay a premium of about 2.50 USD for the higher European VAT and for the 3G roaming. So, a few days ago I asked Amazon what happens if I buy & download an ebook from them using the WiFi in the Kindle 3, using transfer via USB, or using the Android app. Do I get a discount for not costing them 3G? No luck, I pay the full price.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote