Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Weird CF card problem

I was having problems with both my SD card and CF card in my iLiad -- they both decided to become "read only" as far as my PC was concerned. I thought perhaps it was because I'd reinstalled Linux Mint on my system and maybe my PC was seeing the cards as belonging to a different user, but I couldn't persuade it to let me change the read only status, even as root.

So, since the cards were both backed up, I decided to reformat them. I deleted and recreated the partitions on the cards with fdisk, then formatted them with mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdb1. (I used the instructions for formatting a USB stick here) So far so good. Both cards showed up on the iLiad, so I proceeded to transfer files back to them.

And here's where the problem comes. The 1Mb SD works fine. But my iLiad is refusing to see the 2Gb CF card. In the Device Manager it shows up as "Free 270Mb", but if I try to open it, no files show up. But if I plug my iLiad into the computer, the files are definitely there.

Any experienced linux people who could suggest troubleshooting measures?
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
In case anyone's interested, I've fixed this problem now. Turns out the format command was slightly wrong. I should have been using

mkfs.vfat -I -F 32 /dev/sdb

NOT

mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdb1
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert