Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many of us are reading exclusively in electronic format?
Yes, I am reading in electronic format only 185 63.79%
No, not all of the books I read are electronic format 105 36.21%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #61
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I can no longer read a dead tree book. I tried felt it was to much of hassle if I can't find an book in ebook form I will not read it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #62
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I don't have time to shop at physical stores, and I always have an iDevice or Sony reader with me, so e has been my default for at least two years.

I've even begun buying children's ebooks, something I was pretty sure I wouldn't bother with. I blame Amazon's daily deals, combined with the iPad for displaying them.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #63
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
I fell out of love with reading because I fell out of love with paper books.

My first e-reader was bought for me about 5 years ago in the hope it might re-kindle (no pun intended) my desire to read. It worked, I have never read so much as in these last five years.

Electronic only for me. I cannot bear paper books and have never even been tempted to read those which lie untouched on my library shelves.
I agree with you, my feeling are identical..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #64
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I had to vote "no" because there are just some books I can't get as ebooks. But it would certainly be my preference to read only ebooks.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #65
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
This is a recurring question on the board. I shift more toward e-reader as time passes:
  • fiction: electronic
  • most non-fiction: electronic
  • reference & how-to: paper
  • news: both
  • some non-fiction: paper (anything I want to modify with underlines, marginalia, and sticky bookmarks)
  • some classics: if I ever get around to reading Homer or Gilgamesh, for example, I'll probably want paper
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #66
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Funny anecdote... subscribed to Time magazine (more like pamphlet these days) to prevent some airline miles from expired. Immediately signed up for the iPad version, which is free with the paper version. Anyhow... a few days ago I was sitting in the kitchen and saw the paper version sitting on the counter and was intrigued by the cover story. Wanting to read it I pondered getting up to get it, but decided instead to just grab my iPad (which was on the chair next to me) and just download it. Took about the same amount of time as walking across the room and was more appealing to me anyhow. :-) Now I wish there was a way that I could have subscribed to just the electronic version while still saving my airline miles. The paper version feels like such a waste of resources.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #67
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Funny anecdote... subscribed to Time magazine (more like pamphlet these days) to prevent some airline miles from expired. Immediately signed up for the iPad version, which is free with the paper version. Anyhow... a few days ago I was sitting in the kitchen and saw the paper version sitting on the counter and was intrigued by the cover story. Wanting to read it I pondered getting up to get it, but decided instead to just grab my iPad (which was on the chair next to me) and just download it. Took about the same amount of time as walking across the room and was more appealing to me anyhow. :-) Now I wish there was a way that I could have subscribed to just the electronic version while still saving my airline miles. The paper version feels like such a waste of resources.
I just subscribed to the electronic version of National Geographic (iPad version). It seemed like a good way to use my iTunes gift certificate. I hope that I am as happy with the electronic version as I was with the paper version. The electronic version is cheaper, and seems to have added functionality included (embedded multimedia). I really wish that I had a retina display on my iPad right now - perhaps this will give me the incentive to upgrade, my dad sure would like to inherit my iPad 2.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #68
SilverBear
ἄρκτος ὁ Μέγας
SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
There are a number of angles to this issue, but the bottom line is that I have not nor never will forsake the printed page.
1] I've been around for several decades and have accumulated well over 1000 printed books. Some are novels by authors I love to re-read every 5-10 years [Heinlein, Lovecraft, Doyle, Koontz, etc, etc.] and some are reference books of various types that never have and may never be digitized. Why would I "not read them" just because I now ADDITIONALLY have the ability to acquire digital texts? Briefly: ebooks are an "and also" not an "instead of" printed books.
2] Under some conditions I would prefer a digital book to the same book in print for the same price. But it irks the crap out of me that publishers charge a similar price for ebooks, which cost next to nothing to reproduce, as they do for some printed books. I'm cranky, and I just refuse to submit to unreasonable profiteering via a new medium. If they're going to charge me the same [or similar] price, I'll take the paper version that I can BURN for heat if the power cuts off in mid-winter!
3] Unless one owns a large tablet-size ereader [I don't], there are some texts with diagrams/illustrations/tables that just don't render well on a 6" e-ink screen, so the print version is the only usable option.
4] Going back to one aspect I mentioned in #1: there are some printed books just not available in digital text form. For example, the snooty librarians at Miskatonic U. will not let me scan the Latin translation by Olaus Wormius of the Necronomicon. . .

But I do admit that I spend more time reading ebooks than printed ones!
SilverBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #69
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
There are a number of angles to this issue, but the bottom line is that I have not nor never will forsake the printed page.
1] I've been around for several decades and have accumulated well over 1000 printed books. Some are novels by authors I love to re-read every 5-10 years [Heinlein, Lovecraft, Doyle, Koontz, etc, etc.] and some are reference books of various types that never have and may never be digitized. Why would I "not read them" just because I now ADDITIONALLY have the ability to acquire digital texts? Briefly: ebooks are an "and also" not an "instead of" printed books.
2] Under some conditions I would prefer a digital book to the same book in print for the same price. But it irks the crap out of me that publishers charge a similar price for ebooks, which cost next to nothing to reproduce, as they do for some printed books. I'm cranky, and I just refuse to submit to unreasonable profiteering via a new medium. If they're going to charge me the same [or similar] price, I'll take the paper version that I can BURN for heat if the power cuts off in mid-winter!
3] Unless one owns a large tablet-size ereader [I don't], there are some texts with diagrams/illustrations/tables that just don't render well on a 6" e-ink screen, so the print version is the only usable option.
4] Going back to one aspect I mentioned in #1: there are some printed books just not available in digital text form. For example, the snooty librarians at Miskatonic U. will not let me scan the Latin translation by Olaus Wormius of the Necronomicon. . .

But I do admit that I spend more time reading ebooks than printed ones!
I agree with everything that you've said. In fact, I find certain texts are not very pleasant to read even on a tablet-sized ebook reader.

P.s. I've found a PDF copy of the latin translation of the Necronomicon. The comments below it indicate that it may be a fake, though.

Last edited by Latinandgreek; 10-29-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #70
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I primarily use my ereaders but I still buy and read pbooks. Part of me thinks pbooks shouldn't go away completely, because what will we read after the zombie apocalypse comes and there is no more electricity, Internet etc?
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #71
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
You can have my internet when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #72
Cataphonic
Cataphonic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Have been for 2 years. Still got a moving box full of gems. Don't get newspapers. That dead tree stuff, spare me.
Cataphonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #73
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I just started to.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #74
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
For pleasure 100% electronic

(Reading that is)
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #75
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Pretty much all my reading is now electronic, I haven't read a "classic" book in a long time.
The same here. And there are some books I want to read, but simply the fact that I can't find them electronically is stopping me from reading them (even though I have the books in my own library...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote