Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
blakader
blakader began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
2nd ereader for library books

Hello all, My local library has recently added ebooks ( adobe digital editions) so I would like to get a 2nd reader to read these on(my first being a kindle) So am I looking for some help in choosing. I am thinking of spending around 100 dollars, I've been considering the jetbook, or jetbook lite, or the libre pro.

I just read some posts here that made the jetbook lite seem like a bad choice for adobe digital editions.

any recommendations?
blakader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead blakader.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakader View Post
Hello all, My local library has recently added ebooks ( adobe digital editions) so I would like to get a 2nd reader to read these on(my first being a kindle) So am I looking for some help in choosing. I am thinking of spending around 100 dollars, I've been considering the jetbook, or jetbook lite, or the libre pro.

I just read some posts here that made the jetbook lite seem like a bad choice for adobe digital editions.

any recommendations?
I bought the Kobo just to read library books. I like it, however, I probably should have waited for the new Sonys. If I hadn't bought the Kobo, I would have bought the new pocket edition.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
blakader

I considering the kobo as well, but is a little above my price range. that's why I am considering the jetbook, jbl or the libre pro.

Last edited by blakader; 09-12-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

any recommendations?

I use my Nook for library, the Nook wi fi wold be a great cheap choice.

I love mine
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
blakader

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead blakader.
thanks! been lurking here for months
Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I considering the kobo as well, but is a little above my price range. that's why I am considering the jetbook, jbl or the libre pro.
I might be wrong (and would appreciate if someone corrects me) but I don't know of the device other than jetbook and clones that fits your price range.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
blakader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I might be wrong (and would appreciate if someone corrects me) but I don't know of the device other than jetbook and clones that fits your price range.
thanks for the reply! Do you or anyone else know the difference between the jetbook and jetbook lite?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I've seen a couple of posts mentioning that the Sony PRS-300 is being sold at a clearance price of about $75 at Target. If you have a Target near you, you may want to check it out.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #10
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
thanks for the reply! Do you or anyone else know the difference between the jetbook and jetbook lite?
Jetbook has a chargeable Internal Li-ion polymer battery. Jetbook Lite uses AA batteries. If you are considering a Jetbook, you may want to consider the Mini which is in your price range ($99) but available for pre-order only.
http://www.ectaco.com/eBook-PDA-Dictionaries-items/

Another option is to consider buying used given its a "second" reader.

I bought a used Sony PRS-505 as a second reader for library books (I also own a Kindle). I love it so much that it became my primary reader.

In fact, after contemplating a new reader, I decided to buy another used PRS-505 instead
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #11
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
jetBook Lite Burgundy $99.99 + $1.99 shipping at Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858723014

This is $1.98 above your price of $100 but I can recommend the JBL as a great all-round ereader for library books and many other formats including Barnes & Noble / Fictionwise DRM ereader format. You may need to update the firmware to the latest version (16) if the unit ships with an older version -- to be able to read the DRM epub format that Overdrive (the library lending system) uses. I find the AA batteries to be a handy feature and the bulge on the back of the reader makes a nice grip for your left hand!

I also have the Sony Pocket 300 and Touch 600 and like those as well, so if you can find either of these at a knockdown price (because of the release of the newer models), go for it. I got the Pocket 300 on sale at $105 three months ago so it should be available for much less now, especially the refurb units.

If you can have a look at the jetBook screen before making your decision, please do, as it's quite different from e-ink. Not better or worse, just different. You can hop over to the jetBook forum here at MR to read more about the JB and JBL readers, and why owners (like me) love them so much!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=205

If you find that you enjoy borrowing library ebooks, you may be interested in joining the Free Philadelphia Library to expand your choices. It costs just $15 per year for non-Philadephia residents and you can borrow up to 10 items for as long as 21 days at a time. Nice selection of audio books too!
http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com...owseeBooks.htm

Hope this helps you find something that suits your needs.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:32 AM   #12
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I can verify that 75 dollar price on the PRS-300 at Target, but with a little googling you could probably find a way to read those library books on your Kindle and use the money for something else
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:09 AM   #13
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Results of "Kindle library books" Google search:

http://pragmaticenvironmentalism.com...-on-my-kindle/

Here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40866

I didn't read much, but it doesn't take much to make it clear that reading library books with Kindle is possible but far too much trouble. Too bad.
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
Results of "Kindle library books" Google search:

http://pragmaticenvironmentalism.com...-on-my-kindle/

Here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40866

I didn't read much, but it doesn't take much to make it clear that reading library books with Kindle is possible but far too much trouble. Too bad.
Old tech. It's a GUI world now and much easier.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
hmmmm $75 for a Sony. I might look at one. One problem: Oberon does not make a Sony cover....
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote