Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
bostonte
Enthusiast
bostonte began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Intel Mac & Parallels - Support Confirmed

Since many USB devices are not supported or work incompletely on an Intel Mac running Windows with Parallels, I wanted to confirm that with Windows XP as my Guest OS the Reader appears completely compatible.

Not as good as native Mac support, but I'll take it for now.
bostonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Awesome. I actually installed bootcamp the other day just in case. Now I can go back to using parallels. Thanks for the confirmation.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

What was transfer time like?

I like Parallels a lot, my only disappointment is that USB devices all appear as 1.1 instead of 2.0; makes using usb hard drives rather slow.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
danwright
danwright began at the beginning.

Question Mac support?

So I assume that the reader will not work on an Intel Mac WITHOUT using Boot Camp or Parallels?
danwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
CONNECT software wont run under Mac OS X, wich also means you wont be able to buy anything from Sony eBook store. You still can put your files (PDF,TXT,RTF) on memory card and read them.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonte
Since many USB devices are not supported or work incompletely on an Intel Mac running Windows with Parallels, I wanted to confirm that with Windows XP as my Guest OS the Reader appears completely compatible.

Not as good as native Mac support, but I'll take it for now.
Were you able to buy books? The quickstart manual claims that Connect software won't work in a dual boot environment.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
bostonte
Enthusiast

I purchased several books from the store (used my whole $50 credit and then some), transferred them fine. Subscribed to a few RSS feeds, transferred some of the already loaded content back to the computer and removed it from the device, and converted/downloaded some of my own PDF's.

To answer the other poster's question, transfer time isn't terrible. Clearly USB 1 (don't know if the limitation is only in how Parallels only supports USB 1, or if the unit itself is only USB 1). My 35MB PDF took several minutes to transfer. Purchased books downloaded in about 50-60 seconds.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I don't suppose you could try running the Conect software under Darwine for me could you. It'd be really nice if that worked it should give native USB speed support and mean that you don't even have to own a copy of Windows. Of course it may fail to do anything but it's worth a go.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
bostonte
Enthusiast

I'll post back in a bit once I update my Darwine and Crossover versions (I'm a few betas behind). I sincerely doubt it will work on Darwine, but Crossover maybe.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #10
ultim8fury
Addict

Just having loaded the latest darwine after I posted, I'm inclined to agree that it almost definitely won't work.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #11
bostonte
Enthusiast

No luck with Darwine or Crossover.

Crossover held the most promise, the installer actually launched and after staring patiently at the screen for ages seemed to progress through the steps -- but finally crashed out and said the Connect installer program said it was interrupted and could not complete my system was not modified.

Tried it again with a new Crossover bottle, same thing.

I'm gonna look at the logs and see if it's something fixable (perhaps a missing DLL or some such), but getting the program to launch isn't my main concern. My concern is how the program is going to generate it's machine ID for the protected content once it is actually running -- since it can't do the normal things in a virtual environment like Crossover.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:48 PM   #12
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
Hrm.... I can't seem to get Windows to recognize the reader -- it shows up on the parallels USB control, but not in hardware manager under the system preferences. Did you have any issues? It doesn't even look visible (i.e., not even there, vs disabled or something like that).

Thanks for any help!
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:06 PM   #13
dotmike
dotmike began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
jmdor, does the Sony CONNECT program launch on yours?

I've installed it under the latest Parallels + Windows XP Pro SP2 and although the install completed successfully, the CONNECT reader simply won't launch. It displays the hourglass cursor for a brief second, then nothing.

However, plugging the Reader in DOES show activity: the toolbar popped up with a "Found new hardware, ready to use" message. You didn't get that? The device also shows up under Device Manager's Universal Serial Bus controllers list.

But the CONNECT program still won't launch.

Strange.
dotmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:06 PM   #14
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Sorry to say but the Parallels forums are rife with reports such as your, jmdor. USB devices work for some, others not. USB devices work one moment, the other not. I know a lot of people have nothing but praise for Parallels, but the reports on the forums scare me quite a bit!
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #15
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
Never mind -- just had to reboot. Trying to figure out how to get the $50 credit now...
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote