Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
iPad Air Safari alternatives

I've tried a few alternate browsers in the past but usually end up going back to Safari because it's just the path of least resistance. But the constant crashing of Safari on the iPad Air is starting to really bug me. Not just the app crashing, but it restarts the whole iPad.

So, what are your favorite alternative browsers for iOS 7? Bonus points if you can say you've had no issues with it crashing the iPad Air. Thanks!
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
MeSue--

I use Mercury Browser on my iPad air as an alternative to Safari--I like the interface better. Haven't had any crashes with Mercury, but also have to say I haven't had any crashes with Safari either.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

You might want to call Apple CS. I use Safari on my iPad Mini Retina and iPhone 5, and used it on an iPad 3 in the past, and I cannot remember the last time it crashed the app much less the device. Admittedly, I'm not a mega user of Safari on iOS devices. I tend to do 90%+ of my browsing via a computer and FireFox.

In the past I've tried using Opera Mini and Chrome on my iPad, but I always quickly returned to Safari. It has been so long ago that I can no longer remember why, but I do remember being less impressed with them than I was Safari.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Calling Apple CS isn't going to help. Crashing Safari is a known issue with iOS 7.0.x due to memory management bugs. The crashes appear to be fixed in 7.1 beta 2 which should be released in the next couple months.

Some alternative browsers that I use and like.
Sleipnir (good tab management and gestures)
Coast by Opera (Like the gestures and visual style)
iCab (not the prettiest but very useful and feature-rich)
Chrome (access to bookmarks and tabs on my other computers)
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had Mercury already, so I am trying it again since it syncs with Firefox which is what I use on my desktop. Will be nice when they get Safari fixed since everything goes to it by default.
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
I had Mercury already, so I am trying it again since it syncs with Firefox which is what I use on my desktop. Will be nice when they get Safari fixed since everything goes to it by default.
Good to know as I use Firefox on my Mac Mini and Windows 7 laptop. Firefox refuses to make an iOS version, so I'm happy that it can be synced to some other iOS browser.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-31-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

For the record, Safari never crashes my iPhone 4s and I don't think it crashed my iPad 3, even after iOS 7. But it's an epidemic with my iPad Air.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Since iOS 7, both my former Ipad 4 and current iPad Air crash very regularly, once or twice a day. Not just Safari, all kinds of applications and games. JTravers is right I think, it is not a Safari thing but an iOS 7 thing.
I've looked for Safari alternatives a lot, mostly because I prefer a browser that gives the choices open/open in new tab/open in background all together (Safari only does 2 out of 3, depending on settings). But I always came back to Safari, because every link from other apps opens by default in Safari and this cannot be bypassed.
I liked Dolphin as an alternative, iCab and Atom were nice too.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I like iCab, although I think some of the features I initially used it for are now available in Safari. It has a lot of features and is very customizable. On the down side, it feels a bit slow (purely subjective judgment) and occasionally crashes. It's my main browser.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
i've used icab on a previous ipad2 due to the lameness of Safari on ipad... i mean, really, how long did it take to get tabs, never mind something advanced. If you were on a microsoft tablet would you just use IE?

Now use Atomic on ipad Air and a mini before that. Download files ( pdf's and open i ibooks etc ) , ad block, appear to be Safari desktop - or IE6 amongst many others - if you're some kind of deviant ( why on earth would i want a mobile web site on an ipad anyway for f@cks sake), full screen views with or without tabs..., gestures, and on and on.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
I like Grazing. There's a version in the pipeline that's specifically designed for iOS7 but the current app is still very good
pata is offline   Reply With Quote