Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #46
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I really don't get this. Storing all personal documents on a single device, and an iPad of all things, would be extremely inconvenient for me. Manually copying files back and forth whenever I need to edit them? Sounds like hell.
But who says you have to manually copy documents back and forth? Using an app like Documents by Readdle, you can auto-sync folders to and from the cloud (it supports Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Skydrive, etc). The files are locally stored on your iPad for quick access and always in sync with the cloud as well, so they are available to all your other devices.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #47
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
It's here, it's beautiful, and it's mine....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #48
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Congratulations, dg. Enjoy!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #49
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
But who says you have to manually copy documents back and forth? Using an app like Documents by Readdle, you can auto-sync folders to and from the cloud (it supports Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Skydrive, etc). The files are locally stored on your iPad for quick access and always in sync with the cloud as well, so they are available to all your other devices.

Of course! You're making the case for cloud software, just like I did. Using cloud software is a must these days, as I see it. All I'm saying is: I don't need to have all of the actual files on all my devices. I'm not actively working with 128 GB of my files simultaneously on all my devices. 99.999% of my files are idle and not actively accessed on an everyday basis. As long as I have access to any and all of my files at any time on any of my computers or devices, that's all I need. Universal access is enough -- while keeping multiple copies of static files in passive storage on mobile handheld devices is redundant. For me, 16 GB of storage space on handheld devices serves the above purposes just fine. Other people's mileage may vary.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #50
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Of course! You're making the case for cloud software, just like I did. Using cloud software is a must these days, as I see it. All I'm saying is: I don't need to have all of the actual files on all my devices. I'm not actively working with 128 GB of my files simultaneously on all my devices. 99.999% of my files are idle and not actively accessed on an everyday basis. As long as I have access to any and all of my files at any time on any of my computers or devices, that's all I need. Universal access is enough -- while keeping multiple copies of static files in passive storage on mobile handheld devices is redundant. For me, 16 GB of storage space on handheld devices serves the above purposes just fine. Other people's mileage may vary.
I do agree that cloud storage is essential. Completely agree with you. However, I prefer to have at least a subset of it synced locally, as well. My iPad is wifi-only, so I'd rather not be stuck without access to my documents if I happen to be somewhere that I can't get wifi. My first iPad was 16GB. I've since gone up to 32GB and now find myself with only a few GBs to spare. I think I'll be moving up to 64GB for my next iPad. So even though I make full use of cloud storage, I do find it a necessity to have ample local storage, too.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #51
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I just pulled the trigger on a 128GB iPad Air in Space Gray from Staples. They say it will be here Wednesday and my red Smart Cover on Friday. When the Gripster comes out next month I will probably add that to the back.

Started with iPad 2 @ 32GB and filled it up easily. Went to iPad 3 @ 64GB a year later and I hover between 8-10 GB free right now. Could easily fill it up with more music and photos. Since I review photography apps, I like to keep several raw camera files on the device for testing, and when I take trips without my laptop, I use it for photo review and backup.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I think you were right to get the biggest storage. You never know how your needs may evolve. And congratulations on your retirement! I hope the iPad arrives earlier than announced.
And I will! It's shipped, and scheduled to arrive Monday. At the moment, it's still in Chengdu, China, but it has departed its original destination.

I'll be sitting by the door all day, with the dogs to alert me should I fall asleep.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
I just pulled the trigger on a 128GB iPad Air in Space Gray from Staples. They say it will be here Wednesday and my red Smart Cover on Friday.
For a long time I was determined to get the Space Gray because my original flavor iPad looks so good in black, but I finally went with the Silver, as my white iPod G5 still looks pretty good after all these years. Hope I don't get tired of it.

Quote:
When the Gripster comes out next month I will probably add that to the back.
Gripster? Sounds worth looking into. I'd never heard of it, but I have complained in the past of how Apple's slick design makes the device difficult to grip securely.

Quote:
Started with iPad 2 @ 32GB and filled it up easily. Went to iPad 3 @ 64GB a year later and I hover between 8-10 GB free right now. Could easily fill it up with more music and photos. Since I review photography apps, I like to keep several raw camera files on the device for testing, and when I take trips without my laptop, I use it for photo review and backup.
I'm not using half of my current 32 gigs, but that's only in part because I've deleted many of my less-frequently accessed apps. Some apps demand more space than others.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #54
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
For a long time I was determined to get the Space Gray because my original flavor iPad looks so good in black, but I finally went with the Silver, as my white iPod G5 still looks pretty good after all these years. Hope I don't get tired of it.
Well, red is my favorite color and I think the red Smart Cover just looks snazzy with the darker space gray. I almost went with the silver when the black in 128GB was showing out of stock so many places, but then I found it at Staples in stock for shipping. Btw, Staples pushed my expected delivery to Friday. I'll live.

Quote:
Gripster? Sounds worth looking into. I'd never heard of it, but I have complained in the past of how Apple's slick design makes the device difficult to grip securely.
It's THE BEST… and I have used a lot of cases! Here is a pic:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383665555.621551.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	114708

With this you can carry it securely like a briefcase, and then it converts to a portrait or landscape stand that goes to any angle. Or you can grab it from the back and hold the iPad one handed. Most of the time I use it like a stand propped on my belly. I have a review on my website, which is linked from my profile, I think.

Quote:
I'm not using half of my current 32 gigs, but that's only in part because I've deleted many of my less-frequently accessed apps. Some apps demand more space than others.
Even with 64, I've had to keep an eye on my apps. I'm an app hoarder. Well, digital "stuff" hoarder in general.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #55
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I just pulled the trigger on a 128GB iPad Air in Space Gray from Staples. They say it will be here Wednesday and my red Smart Cover on Friday. When the Gripster comes out next month I will probably add that to the back.

Thanks a lot. Thanks a whole lot!!! Went to their site and am very impressed with that product...can't wait till it comes in...
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #56
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I just pulled the trigger on a 128GB iPad Air in Space Gray from Staples. They say it will be here Wednesday....
Is that Wednesday as in tomorrow?
Old 11-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #57
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Quote:
Is that Wednesday as in tomorrow?
Yes, that was quoted on the website when I ordered late last night and was also in my confirmation email, but my online order details show ETA as 11/8 (Friday). No tracking number yet, so we shall see. It's currently "being processed at warehouse."
Old 11-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #58
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Yes, that was quoted on the website when I ordered late last night and was also in my confirmation email, but my online order details show ETA as 11/8 (Friday). No tracking number yet, so we shall see. It's currently "being processed at warehouse."
Huh! Mine's still scheduled to arrive by "Monday, 11/11/2013, By End of Day." What's up with that?

I did get my Smart Cover yesterday, though.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #59
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Quote:
Huh! Mine's still scheduled to arrive by "Monday, 11/11/2013, By End of Day." What's up with that?

I did get my Smart Cover yesterday, though.
Still no tracking number so I don't think mine's coming today! You got engraving so that might slow it down. Anyway, nothing is for certain until you get the tracking number. Once it ships it is usually very fast from Apple.

I almost ordered from Apple since ETA and price were about the same, but Staples gave me better credit card rewards.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #60
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Still no tracking number so I don't think mine's coming today! You got engraving so that might slow it down. Anyway, nothing is for certain until you get the tracking number. Once it ships it is usually very fast from Apple.

I almost ordered from Apple since ETA and price were about the same, but Staples gave me better credit card rewards.
I know the engraving slowed it down, but I got the email with the UPS tracking number on November 4th. Strange, but it doesn't bother me much. I've waited this long for Apple to come out with this generation; a few more days won't hurt.