Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Where Has Your eReader Been?

Well, I finally decided to take my Kindle outside and read in the great outdoors. It was a perfect day for it too - beautiful, sunny, low 70's. So I went to visit one of my sons and we then spent part of the day at Lake Tapps North Park (about 35 miles south of Seattle). People were barbequing, boating, fishing, relaxing, reading (that was me), etc. Lots of water, trees, and grass; with a gorgeous view of Mt Rainier (14,411 ft - 4,392 m) as a backdrop.

I read for a bit under the shade of a tree, but the sun and activity finally got the better of people and I called it quits. But hey, a great way to start my outside reading. It was nice, so I plan to do it more often and take my Kindle with me to other beautiful locations in western Washington before the rainy season sets in once again.

So, where has your ereader been recently and where do you plan to take it?

This was the view I had and these two pics of Mt Rainier really don't do it justice. It's far more beautiful in person.

Looking SSE from Lake Tapps toward Mt Rainier

Here's a nicer view, but the pic is big and will make everything get all stretchy; so it's hidden.

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
With me? Only in flatland parts of the US and Britain. But with my younger son, in a dozen other countries.

Free Worldwide 3G email and news web sites in return for no EPUB is a reasonable tradeoff.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 04-21-2012 at 09:15 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
In the waiting room at my daughter's dance class; in the waiting room at an out-patient medical facility; in the hotel lobby while my kids were at an Orlando, FL, theme park; at Newark Int'l Airport waiting for my son, etc. No photos, though.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Took mine up to Mt. Charleston last weekend. It was pleasant. Past that... It's been in a few planes to Washington DC, Los Angeles, and Denver mostly, on some buses, and in a hospital for 2 1/2 days while the ladywife was pushing out another offspring.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I used mine at 30,000 feet on a flight from Baltimore to Dallas to borrow an eBook from the Faitfax public library.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #6
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
normally just around the house and town. like others waiting for our children. but last week I took it on a plane to fly from the US to India. Over 15 hour flight. The kindle was very nice company. I make the return flight this week. I guess I'll need to charge it up before the flight.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
At the bus stop, on the bus, at my desk at lunch, in bed, on the couch, in the kitchen, on the front step. Pretty mundane stuff.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeayers View Post
. . . last week I took it on a plane to fly from the US to India.
http://m.timesofindia.com works well with the Kindle.

For the larger font I prefer, this link was created with readingthenet.com:

http://tinyurl.com/7gmf6ae

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 04-23-2012 at 08:19 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The clothes dryer threw its belt, so today we went to the laundromat.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Hong Kong - on various buses, trams, ferries and trains

Planes to China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Singapore, India, Taiwan and home to the UK, and hotels, buses and trains in all them places too.

I've read in the Forbidden City in Beijing, on the Great Wall, during Hanami, on the Shinkansen with Mount Fuji watching over me, during typhoons and earthquakes but mostly in my bed wherever that may be.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Last week I took mine on our trip to The Blue Mountains. While there I spent 1 1/2 hours each way on a train trip. Had to read as it was so cold and dark and wet all day there was no scenery to look at. All the carriage windows were fogged up.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 AM   #12
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Ereaders are so easy to use while having a counter lunch. Ever tried to keep a book's page in place or turn pages with a knife and fork filling your hands? So I've tried quite a few pubs now at lunchtime with a steak and chips in front of me, a beer and iPad.
Also, the parks, public transport, airports and airlines but nowhere that had the beautifully vista of Mt Rainier that Tubemonkey showed us.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:04 AM   #13
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
My Kindle has been with me house sitting, to the dentist's office, days out to Rotterdam, Amsterdam and The Hague to be used on the train and I think I took it with me to a theme park. My old Sony has also been with me to the UK, I'm going again in August and I'll take my then current reader with me again.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I brought my Sony 650 in Vancouver in September 2010, and it'll be going back home when I visit again in August this year (via Las Vegas).

In the meantime, it's been used in Germany and Slovakia as well as many places in the UK (all on business trips) and France on holiday. It really came into its own when I was stranded in Germany due to the ash cloud descending and would have almost certainly run out of things to read - - had I not had it with me. On one occasion, it was left in the seat pocket of the plane I had arrived at Dusseldorf airport on until the rather wonderful Lufthansa stewardess came running out to the bus I had just boarded next to the plane to give it back to me

Mostly, though, its been used at home; in bed, on the couch and in the bath (aquaPak'ed).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
Wingpeople
▲▲ Books with Altitude ▲▲
Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wingpeople ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just last week we had BOTH our Kindles with us while camping / rock climbing at Joshua Tree National Park. We've been taking them on all sorts of outdoor ventures -- sure beats lugging around a bunch of books.
Wingpeople is offline   Reply With Quote