Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Unhappy Are Google Play downloads fubar?

I've raised this with Google support who of course may or may not ever come back to me...

The TL;DR version is that ADE is giving an error. I don't know if that's due to DRM changes at the backend, or just a network glitch, or ...

The fuller version:

I often buy books from Google Play, download them as EPUB, load them into Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.1, and then use Apprentice Alf to transfer the unencumbered files into my Calibre Library. (The destination is my Kobo Aura.)

All good, except one book I just bought (Ultima by Stephen Baxter) is just not working. I get an acsm file which looks plausible and complete, but ADE barfs.

It says: "Fulfilling Ultima" and then a few seconds later: "Unable to download" "Error getting License. License Server Communication Problem: E_ADEPT_DOCUMENT_TYPE_UNKNOWN:".

Is a more recent version of ADE likely to help? I've stayed on 2.0.1 for fear of the DRM in more recent versions. What ADE versions are "safe"?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I had the exact same problem with one Google book. Google promised to replace the file, but so far nothing. All the other downloads work, except this book ("Knight" by Pierre Pevel).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After calling Google, it looks like there's a problem with this book:

Quote:
It appears that Adobe does not support the embedded font encryption format used by this piece of content, and there is an incompatibility between some files and ACS.
Hurrah for DRM! Hurrah for Adobe!

They're trying to resolve it, but for now I'm SOL unless I use one of their devices.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Ultima by Stephen Baxter is a pre-order.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1417809683753.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	132043
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Ultima by Stephen Baxter is a pre-order.
Attachment 132043
In the US, maybe. It was released in the UK on 27th November.
Advert
Old 12-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Ultima shows at Google Play to be on pre-order. I don't see how you managed to buy it when it's not due out until August 4, 2015.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Ultima shows at Google Play to be on pre-order. I don't see how you managed to buy it when it's not due out until August 4, 2015.
Here's what Stephen Baxter's site shows:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ultima.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	132044

You can buy it from Kobo in the UK as well, and apparently Nook.

I can read my bought copy using Google Play's interface, but I obviously want it on my ereader.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One can also buy Ultima in Canada...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As usual, there are other places in the world than the US... not our fault that you're behind the times...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
ADE on Mac is giving me problems failing to open Google books. Chrome wont download Google Books at all; Safari works.

I asked Google support politely for a refund for a book that failed to open on my Mac, and after getting me to test all kinds of files, and browsers gave me a refund. Opening on one device only isnt good enough. I don't have that problem with Kindle. Admittedly, its probably ADE at fault rather than Google, but its the only reader on a Mac.
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia1066 View Post
ADE on Mac is giving me problems failing to open Google books. Chrome wont download Google Books at all; Safari works.

I asked Google support politely for a refund for a book that failed to open on my Mac, and after getting me to test all kinds of files, and browsers gave me a refund. Opening on one device only isnt good enough. I don't have that problem with Kindle. Admittedly, its probably ADE at fault rather than Google, but its the only reader on a Mac.
I don't have those sorts of problems. I use Firefox (works very well) and download via ADE. I then strip the DRM and I can then do with the ePub as I want. Problem with DRM solved.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ade, epub, google, mac