Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Two Coconuts
Two Coconuts began at the beginning.

Device: shift3 lookbook
Unhappy Lookbook takes ages to turn on?

Just picked up the Shift3 Lookbook from Walmart. It is fully charged and we did the software upgrade so now we have access to newspapers and mags (yea!).
The problem we have is just plain turning it on. After pressing the power button, the Lookbook logo comes up - and sits there for 1 minute 15 seconds. Then the screen goes black (but you can tell it is still on) for another 12 seconds. Then the current reading list comes up. All I can say is that 1) no other electronic device I own takes 87 seconds to get started, and 2) I can pick up a physical book and start reading it in about 3 seconds.
Is this normal behavior? Do I have a bum copy?
Thanks for any help.
Two Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Sounds like it could be a Lookbook hardware problem. Maybe try another one.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I think that you need to exchange this unit with the store that you bought this from.

Let me explain this issue a little bit in terms of a desktop PC becuase you Litterati is nothing more then a PC that has been adapted for reading electronic books. When you turn on a PC the operation is under the control of the bootstrap, which tells the PC what parts it has and how to get up and running. The bootsrap is a little piece of software code that resides in memory and sometimes there are sections of memory, called sectors, that are not working quite right, called a bad sector, when a bad sector occurs the brains of the PC, called the CPU (Central Processing Unit) attempts to read the sectors of memory until it succeeds. In your case you have some bad sectors in memory which is delaying the bootstrap and thus the boot time (the amount of time it takes for you Literati to turn on).

So after all of this technical jargon here the bottom line is that you need to excahnge the Literati that you have for a new one. Hopefully one without bad sectors in memory.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
I dunno guys - I've got a Literati - I've never timed it, but it takes WAY longer to boot up after it's been turned off (not just asleep) than my Kindle or Sony, or even my nook. And with that same sequence - Literati page, almost black blank page, then finally it's back in the library. So I don't turn it off unless I need to (like every time I charge it, because otherwise the battery icon doesn't refresh) - I just let it go to sleep on its own. I wouldn't be surprised to find the LookBook is the same way, since it's basically the same thing. It's a quirky little booger.

Last edited by Meemo; 04-08-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Yeah, mine does the same. Not a speedy machine.
I think it's just how the darn thing is.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinín View Post
Yeah, mine does the same. Not a speedy machine.
I think it's just how the darn thing is.
I have a Literati and noticed the same thing. However once it books you need not boot again unless it crashes. Pressing power off drops to sleep mode and it recovers very fast from that.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lookbook