Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
romsempire
romsempire began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Memory Stick Pro Duo and Fsk Error

Hi all,
I have bought a 4 gb memory stick pro duo for my PRS500.
Through USB adapter, I have formatted it with FAT32 filesystem.
So I have insert it in MS Pro Duo adapter and, finally, I have insert it in my prs500.
I have connect my prs500 to my compter when I start Connect Reader a grey screen appear and tell me: "fsk error code= -9999".

I have tested memory stick pro duo in my usb adapter conneted to my compter and works great.
I can write and read files on it.

What's the problem? Are my steps righ?

romsempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't believe the Reader supports the FAT32 file system, does it? Perhaps that what the error message is telling you.

Don't format it in another device - remove the formatting, and then allow the Reader to format the card itself.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-20-2007 at 09:21 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Does the Reader itself see the card? Try putting some TXTs on it used the card reader and check if the Reader can see them.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I have a 4GB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro and have tried several times to try to get the reader to recognize more than 2GB of data on it. It makes no difference whether it is music or books, it makes no difference whether it is formatted as FAT or FAT32.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
romsempire

Re:

The reader don't see the memory.
My memory is a memory stick pro duo magic gate. Perhaps this is the problem.
magic gate is different than traditional memory stick pro duo?

how can I unformat?
Advert
Old 04-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Yes, a MagicGate is different than a traditional Memory Stick. At one time it was the line for the PlayStation and music while the regular one was for the cameras.

According to page 19 of the original Reader manual, both can be used in the Reader. The MemorySticks can support up to 4 GB while SD cards can support only 2 GB.

If this is true then the only problem (assuming that it is not a faulty memory) is the formatting. However as dhbailey noted, he has trouble with both formats.

Perhaps there is a utility at the Sony website for formatting the sticks.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
romsempire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Yes, a MagicGate is different than a traditional Memory Stick. At one time it was the line for the PlayStation and music while the regular one was for the cameras.

According to page 19 of the original Reader manual, both can be used in the Reader. The MemorySticks can support up to 4 GB while SD cards can support only 2 GB.

If this is true then the only problem (assuming that it is not a faulty memory) is the formatting. However as dhbailey noted, he has trouble with both formats.

Perhaps there is a utility at the Sony website for formatting the sticks.
At Sony Support you can find memory stick formatter software.

It run only with original Sony memory stick Reader/Writer like:
* Memory Stick USB Reader/Writer (MSAC-US20)
* Memory Stick USB Reader/Writer (MSAC-US30)
* Memory Stick USB Reader/Writer Mouse (MSAC-US70)
* Memory Stick PC Card Adaptor (MSAC-PC3)
* Memory Stick PC Card Adaptor (MSAC-PC4)
* Memory Stick PC Card Adaptor (MSAC-PC2)
* MagicGate Memory Stick compatible USB Reader/Writer (MSGC-US10)
* Memory Stick USB Reader/Writer (MSAC-US1)
* Memory Stick USB Reader/Writer (MSAC-US2)
* Memory Stick USB Reader/Writer Mouse (MSAC-US5)
* Memory Stick USB Reader/Writer Mouse (MSAC-US7)

I haven't an original memory stick reader/writer.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

I installed the formatter and formatted the 4GB sandisk memory stick Pro / MagicGate and then copied 671 mp3 files, occupying 3.1GB of space.

And just as with every other attempt I have made, it showed a vastly lower number of files than is actually present -- it shows only 377 files.

Which would be approximately 2GB of data.

Next I'll try to fill the Memory stick with books only and see how the Reader logs that.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:33 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
From your experiences, it certainly sounds as though it's a good idea to stick to 2GB cards. They work fine (at least 2GB SD cards do - I haven't tried using a memory stick).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:01 AM   #10
dhbailey
Guru

What happens is the 4GB SanDisk Memory Stick Pro, when formatted with the Sony formatting software, freezes the Reader and I have to do a soft reset.

If I can find a 4GB Sony Memory Stick I may well buy it since someone else is saying that they work in the reader -- although in all their postings they've never mentioned if they've actually put 4GB of data on the memory stick and had it be recognized. But only if the price is right and I've got some spare change to waste on the experiment.

The most interesting thing is that no matter how I've formatted the memory stick (FAT FAT32 or with the Sony formatter program), the computer recognizes and can access all 4GB every time!

Oh well, I'm done experimenting -- it's back to only using 2GB SD cards (or smaller) and forgetting about MP3 files.

Maybe a firmware update will allow for actually using 4GB of storage! :-)
Old 04-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #11
romsempire

Then size is the problem?

I have tried many ways, but nothing: always same error.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
romsempire

Read page 73 of manual

SONY PRS500 isn't compatible with Magic Gate standard.
Sony PRS500 isn't compatible with copyright protection of SD Memory Card
Sony PRS500 isn't compatible with high-transfer speed of SD Memory Card.

I have a memory stick pro duo magic gate

Read page 73 of PRS500 Manual
Old 04-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #13
Amadeus
Amadeus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Reader
MagicGate isn't a problem. When it says it's not compatible in the manual, if you read carefully you realise what they're saying is that the MagicGate features are not supported. The card itself is supported.

Nor is FAT32 the problem. I have a 4Gb Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo MagicGate card formatted with FAT32 and the Reader has no problem seeing it.

My guess is that the original poster has 4Gb Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo HIGH SPEED card. This is specifically NOT supported in the list of supported Memory Stick devices on Sony's site. I know this to be true, because at first I bought the High Speed version (reddish label, says something about parallel interface) and it doesn't work in either FAT or FAT32 mode. I had the same error as the OP when I tried it.

However the regular 4Gb Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo (bluish label) works fine.

Last edited by Amadeus; 04-21-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #14
romsempire

Re:

The memory I have bought is similar to this.

Tonight I have tried my 4 gb memory on sony s40 camera and work great.
It works on my usb adapter, but it don't work on prs-500.

I have formatted it in fat32, but nothing.

tonight I have tried another memory stick pro duo magic gate of 512 MB in my prs-500.
It works great.

you say prs500 supported a 4 gb memory stick pro duo.
Then I don't know what my problem. my memory seems ok.

I think I will resell my 4 gb memory stick and I will buy another a 2GB memory stick pro duo magic gate.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #15
Amadeus
Amadeus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Reader
There are two versions of the 4Gb Memory Stick Pro Duo - Normal and High Speed. The normal one works, the High Speed one doesn't.

Are you sure your Memory Stick is not the High Speed one with the red stripe?

Check this page:-

http://esupport.sony.com/EN/info/mspro-reader.html

Other thing - have you got the latest version of the firmware installed in the Reader? Sony made a new release, and it's possible that the original earlier version doesn't support FAT32 and/or the 4Gb cards. If you have installed the Connect Reader software on the your PC, when you connect the Reader and go online it should give you the option of updating the firmware to the latest release.
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote