Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 AM   #1
cattail1125
cattail1125 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Transferring books from Seller to Buyer of Kindle

I purchased a Kindle on Ebay. The seller has purchased several ebooks through Amazon, and I would like to be able to read them. If the seller de-registers the Kindle, then I won't be able to read the books.

What is the best way for the seller to allow me to read the books?

Last edited by cattail1125; 05-28-2008 at 03:04 AM.
cattail1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't think there is a way unless you hack them
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I think you should contact Amazon and ask them what you need to do. You should be able to read the books while the Kindle is de-registered (the Kindle doesn't know who's reading it). However, once you register the Kindle with Amazon under your name, who knows what might happen. They could very well disappear.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I agree that you should be able to read the books while the Kindle stays un-registered. I asked Amazon recently how to handle a kid with a Kindle (a kid whom you don't trust with your credit card!) and they said to de-register the Kindle so it couldn't purchase, but could still read. I think that will apply to this case as well. But you'll have to read these before you register and buy anything of your own, cuz they probably will disappear then.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
cattail1125

Amazon Customer Service

I just talked to Amazon Customer Service.

They confirmed, what has been said here, that when I reregister I will lose the books, and there is no way for the seller to transfer the e-book to me, unless he provides the login/pass to his Amazon account. The license of the book prohibits transfers in between accounts.

So it looks like I've two options: either I persuade him to transfer his entire Amazon account to me, or I read the books before I reregister, losing them upon registration.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

May I ask, did you get a good deal and did that deal include the books? No need to tell how much you paid. How many books are on the Kindle?

I ask because depending on the selling price, maybe the seller will refund the cost of any books you would have purchased yourself and will have to re-purchase (if you want to have them in your own library). I'm assuming that you may not be interested in reading all of the books that came with the Kindle.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm pretty sure that the Kindle licence agreement specifically states that books cannot be transferred or re-sold. If you "paid" for these books, the seller was acting in violation of the terms of this agreement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
cattail1125

He just sent my email saying he would do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
May I ask, did you get a good deal and did that deal include the books? No need to tell how much you paid. How many books are on the Kindle?

I ask because depending on the selling price, maybe the seller will refund the cost of any books you would have purchased yourself and will have to re-purchase (if you want to have them in your own library). I'm assuming that you may not be interested in reading all of the books that came with the Kindle.
I purchased it for $350 including shipping. He has now said he will give me a $40 Amazon gift certificate to compensate for e-books lost from re-registering.
He has also said that he will transfer me some additional PDF e-books.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Excellent! Good for you.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #10
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Yeah, buying the Kindle in Amazon's eyes is like buying a bookshelf. When you buy a bookshelf in a furniture store, it's usually understood that you don't get the nice pretty books that are on it as well, and you are expected to put your own books on it. It's also kind of like buying a used car. When I buy a used car I don't expect to get any of the CD's that might be in it when the owner lets me take a test drive. Heck, I don't even expect the gas to be in it after I buy it.

As long as the internet switch on the back is off, even if the Kindle is re-registered to another user I don't see how the books could be taken off. So I think the issue is not in the registration, but in the EVDO.

BUT...good on the seller for giving you the $40 to Amazon. That was a fair thing to do and I think you both came out on the good end. If the seller ever decides to get another Kindle, he'll still have his books to put in it.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:18 AM   #11
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Since mobi DRM relies on a PID and the PID is tied to the device itself, could cattail back the books up on his/her hard drive, register the Kindle, then put the books back on and be able to read them? I don't see why this wouldn't work unless Amazon keeps deleting them every time the Kindle connects to the new Whispernet account. Even then, that could be solved by keeping the wireless off. It wouldn't make sense for Amazon to delete those files, though, because no one had problems when modifying the PID of other mobipocket books. Personally, I would just use the PID to strip the DRM.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote