Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which mystery shall thrill us in May?
The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey 14 37.84%
The Dinner by Herman Koch 8 21.62%
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler 16 43.24%
A Suspension of Mercy by Patricia Highsmith 6 16.22%
The Flower Net by Lisa See 8 21.62%
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley 10 27.03%
A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine 5 13.51%
The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø 13 35.14%
In Pale Battalions by Robert Goddard 11 29.73%
Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton 3 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #46
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Nobody any votes for Daughter of time or for redbreast left?
I read a few pages of The big sleep...well....I see it as a challenge
( even though mystery is my thing)
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am surprised that Great North Road only got 3 votes given how popular Science Fiction and Mystery both are and this is a combination of both.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #48
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Mystery is popular, but I don't think that Science Fiction is - in this Book Club I mean.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #49
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Mystery is popular, but I don't think that Science Fiction is - in this Book Club I mean.
Still some Science Fiction does win. "20,000 Leagues Under The Seas" won recently.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #50
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Still some Science Fiction does win. "20,000 Leagues Under The Seas" won recently.
I still think that won not because it was science fiction, but that it was the only novel in the list. Everything else was non-fiction.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I still think that won not because it was science fiction, but that it was the only novel in the list. Everything else was non-fiction.
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry also is a novel. I think being free was a major factor in the Verne win.

ETA: Of the five selections so far this year, three were public domain everywhere and the other two public domain in life +50 countries.

Last edited by issybird; 04-28-2013 at 02:59 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #52
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry also is a novel. I think being free was a major factor in the Verne win.
There you go. I didn't even realise that. Shows how much I was paying attention.

Yeah - free is always pretty enticing. I can see why having a category "MR Library" caused a bit of a commotion.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I hope everyone's ready for The Big Sleep.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #54
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't know about The Big Sleep but I could use a bit more than I'll be getting today. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #55
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I may not join in on this one. I enjoyed the book when I read it in my teens, but have no burning desire to revisit. There are a couple of others nominated that I will be having a look at though.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #56
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I'm actually looking forward to revisiting The Big Sleep, that I'm almost sure I read back in my teens. I'm pretty sure it won't be to my liking now, but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #57
caleb72
Indie Advocate

I haven't decided about The Big Sleep yet. I've downloaded it and sent it to my Kindle in case I can fit it in.

I have wanted to read it for a while, so it's not unwanted. It's just going to be a matter of timing.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #58
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I already have The Chandler Collection by Picador so I have an excuse to dip into it and read this particular novel. I've seen the '46 film with Bogart and Bacall in which the Faulkner/Brackett screenplay was so marvellously realised {far better than in the '78 remake} and it will be interesting to see if the novel lives up to the film.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #59
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Bogart was just right for the part I think. I have seen clips with Robert Michum playing the part but Bogie was king of the tough guys.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #60
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Powers Boothe was a credible Philip Marlowe in the 1983 HBO series.

I adore Philip Marlowe but it was an accumulative affection that grew to awareness with books after The Big Sleep. Still, one must begin at the beginning.

Goodbye My Lovely is one of my favorite books ever despite the casual racism infecting too many books of earlier eras. It is also marred by an imperfect melding of short stories, as is The Big Sleep, but the language is the most beautiful I've ever found in the mystery genre. I don't recall Chandler's poetic abilities much on display in this month's selection.

In a good series, the development of a fascinating character is the charm of it all. I will read anything featuring Harry Bosch, Dave Robicheaux, Matt Scudder, and Philip Marlowe.

As noted by Issybird, the Marlowe books are dated. But that is not a negative for me. They are time capsules to an earlier Los Angeles.

Edit: I should have written that the language in Goodbye My Lovely is the most beautiful of the mystery genre except for the best of James Lee Burke.

Last edited by BelleZora; 04-29-2013 at 01:29 PM.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote