Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
[QUOTE=meme;2108335

1) Known issue - you have to exit Sigil and reload to get it to re-read the CSS changes. Not sure if this will be fixed for 0.6.0
[/QUOTE]
This is a 6.0 upgrade show stopper for me as stylesheet changes is what I use Sigil for the most.
Quote:
2) Seems ok on Linux but needs checking on Windows
Most single screen users would probably never notice this
Quote:

Keep them coming
Oh, We can do that
Old 06-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
The lack of the save warning is an issue and I can duplicate it - thanks, we'll look into correcting this (and the same issue with Link Stylesheets).
No prob.

Quote:
As for lists - what do you use, just indented paragraphs? (I assume that's what calibre uses when converting). I'm open to changing the format of the file (and even changing it to toc.xhtml) - this was just a first version to get feedback.
I use indented paragraphs, but I'd make sure you get a pretty solid consensus before changing... I can be an odd bird. I've just found that it's easier for me to get a stylistic consistency across a variety of renderers by simply using a handful of <p> classes and some very simple css. Styling list elements (especially nested) to look comparable in various apps/devices always seems to get a little hairy and frustrating for me. Plus I've just never really seen the advantage of ordered/unordered html lists for static content. *shrugs*

Also... the only time I usually even bother with an inline ToC is when I'm going to be building a MOBI from the ePub as well... and less is best when feeding Kindlegen (not that that's a Sigil concern or anything), so I try to stick to <p>s and <blockquote>s so it doesn't get too complicated.

Like I said; just getting the text and the hrefs of an inline ToC built automatically from the headings is going to save me scads of time... however it ultimately works out.
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
New S/R issue ?

To make it short:

The text is something like "<div id="division3">". I want to replace the value of id.

Find: division(\d\d?)
Replace: division_II_\1
Settings: Regex / Current File
Replace all

There are 5 matches found. Sigil replaces anything with "division_II_", the backreference is not inserted into the replace-string.

If I replace in single step mode, anything works fine. If I add a " to the search and replace-string, the result is the same.

So, is it a bug or a feature ???

Last edited by mmat1; 06-08-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: first description wasn't exact enough
Old 06-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Gave it a few minutes:
  • Fails to render many valid pages in 'book' view. Render correctly in 'peview' mode.
    Example : <p>"&nbsp;%1"</p>
  • Lack of side-by-side editing is a big step backwards. Preview mode doesn't make much sense if you cant test the changes and then make the changes directly in code; without removing the view.
  • The find/replace toolbar icon should act as a toggle. The horizontal line above the search options (i.e under the replace field) adds no value. Thanks for not hiding the find count now!
  • The colours used in ckeditor dialogs are pretty bad and colour blindness unfriendly... as well as any sighted person unfriendly (srs ugly). Native or plain would be far better.
    Example : Add Table
  • The delete key in ckeditor seems to highlight elements on other lines, when you are expecting it to just move something up? (happens with tables and lists with blank space above them)
  • Navigating around some elements (keyboard) causes the cursor to be reset to the top of the file.
  • The context menu in book view, when nothing is selected is somewhat lacking. Insert options would be handy.
  • The block quote icon is going to confuse people imho - it looks like it's for wrapping fancy quotes or something... and blockquote is a pretty strange button anyway.
  • What's with the arrow icon that pops up when you find something? It's pretty distracting.

Overall - It's exactly what people were concerned about happening.

Last edited by Serpentine; 06-08-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: argh
Old 06-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #20
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
To make it short:

The text is something like "<div id="division3">". I want to replace the value of id.

Find: division(\d\d?)
Replace: division_II_\1
Settings: Regex / Current File
Replace all

There are 5 matches found. Sigil replaces anything with "division_II_", the backreference is not inserted into the replace-string.

If I replace in single step mode, anything works fine. If I add a " to the search and replace-string, the result is the same.

So, is it a bug or a feature ???
Its a bug - I noticed it a little earlier and it will be fixed for the next beta.
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #21
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Fails to render many valid pages in 'book' view. Render correctly in 'peview' mode.
Easy to fix.

Quote:
The colours used in ckeditor dialogs are pretty bad and colour blindness unfriendly... as well as any sighted person unfriendly (srs ugly). Native or plain would be far better.
Example : Add Table
CKE is skinnable.

Quote:
The context menu in book view, when nothing is selected is somewhat lacking. Insert options would be handy.
Insert what?

Quote:
The block quote icon is going to confuse people imho - it looks like it's for wrapping fancy quotes or something... and blockquote is a pretty strange button anyway.
It's a standard element that is used quite often. Also, again, skinnable.

Quote:
What's with the arrow icon that pops up when you find something? It's pretty distracting.
It indicates that the search wrapped around. This is a standard UI indication on OS X.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #22
pwr
pwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with others

Device: Kindle 4NT
applying CSS changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
901 on XP SP3
1) I updated the CSS
margin-top: to .5em; (from 0

Bookview would not show the change. I exited and reloaded (after checking in the stable version) and it now showed the change.
1) Known issue - you have to exit Sigil and reload to get it to re-read the CSS changes. Not sure if this will be fixed for 0.6.0
I've added a bug for this in the Sigil issues database, and attached a patch for a partial fix. I think it's pretty necessary for the feature to work properly when tweaking a book's styles, so I would love to have it fixed for 0.6.0.

Unrelated -- meme, would it be possible to have in 0.6 something similar to the split view from 0.5? Not necessarily a code/book edit split, more likely a code/preview split, with instant updates on the preview side. While working with Sigil, I've found this to be the most useful way to edit books -- I'm not much of a fan of the book edit view, as it does not give me proper control over how the XHTML code looks, but while using the 0.6 beta I'm always switching between code and preview views.

I'm not asking if you can code it, just if you think it can be coded. I'm very willing to code it myself and contribute the patch (if you find it useful), but right now I don't know enough of the Sigil's inner workins to decide if it can be made to work. I'm mostly worried about how the preview view will react when the user is typing in XHTML code and it's not yet valid.

Cheers,
-pwr
Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #23
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr View Post
I'm not asking if you can code it, just if you think it can be coded.
It is not possible to have live previews with the current implementation. The HTML viewer uses it's own backing which is separate from CV's backing. These cannot be combined. The only way to do this is to reload the view after every key press. This is a bad idea because it's going to be really really slow.

Invalid HTML wouldn't be a problem due to it being view only. The QWebView would do it's best to render. If it's wrong because the HTML is invalid then it's wrong. Once it's right it will be fine.

The alternative is to use a web based text editor. See this for an example. While this is possible it would require replacing CV entirely.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #24
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
A few more.
  • If a doctype is not present in the code, book view will add one, however it does this in the rendered content.
  • Zoom in book view resizes the ui elements/toolbar
  • If you paste with an empty clipboard, you will paste an &nbsp; and then it highlights the rest of the node or until a special character. This highlighted area is not a true selection and you are required to manually select it to clear the highlighting.
  • Navigating the cursor past some tags, headings in specific ends up with rubber banding unless you hold down the key.
  • XML <!--comments--> entered into the editor break nodes and pollute nearby tags. This does not happen in all tags, but lists for example break, other times it is correctly escaped and sometimes it is padded with other comments (i.e <!--StartFragment-->&lt;!-- Derp --&gt;<!--EndFragment-->). A very edge case, sure but it showed up when I opened a bunch of old converted notes.

Request : Could the validation pane be made dockable with other containers - it eats quite a bit of vertical space; and allowing it to dock onto the side panels (as they currently support) would be nice. At the moment it's actually pretty hard to even get it back to its old place once you've got it floating.

Last edited by Serpentine; 06-08-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #25
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This is a 6.0 upgrade show stopper for me as stylesheet changes is what I use Sigil for the most.
+1

That's what I use most, also
Old 06-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #26
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
[*]Fails to render many valid pages in 'book' view. Render correctly in 'peview' mode.
If you see any more like this can you post them. BV has issues with certain characters it thinks are codes which have to be unencoded first - most should be taken care of but if you post examples they can be fixed.

Quote:
[*]The find/replace toolbar icon should act as a toggle. The horizontal line above the search options (i.e under the replace field) adds no value. Thanks for not hiding the find count now!
If it toggled you wouldn't be able to select text and then open/re-open Find (with Ctrl-F or clicking the icon) and have your text be put into the Find line. This way Ctrl-F/icon is always Open Find. Personally I always have Find open but then I'm usually in Code View.

Quote:
[*]The delete key in ckeditor seems to highlight elements on other lines, when you are expecting it to just move something up? (happens with tables and lists with blank space above them)
Highlighting in BV is subject to a bug in Qt that causes more text to be highlighted than expected - although its on a visual highlight and not an actual selection. I have seen the delete key cause BV to change styles differently than expected - perhaps deleting an unseen div - but that's CKEditor's code.

Quote:
[*]Navigating around some elements (keyboard) causes the cursor to be reset to the top of the file.
Any examples - seems ok for me, but I've tended to navigate by mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr View Post
Unrelated -- meme, would it be possible to have in 0.6 something similar to the split view from 0.5? Not necessarily a code/book edit split, more likely a code/preview split, with instant updates on the preview side.
This is purely user_none's area. Its definitely not something for 0.6.0. Split view with cursor syncing was a major pain code wise. I liked using it as well though. Suggestions of a web based editor are interesting, though I suppose you might also be able to refresh the view on a keypress or mouse action so its not with every key press. I've gotten used to editing in Code View and switching back to Preview or Book View after a while though.

Quote:
[*]If a doctype is not present in the code, book view will add one, however it does this in the rendered content.
Reproducible, will add to the list to check.

Quote:
[*]Zoom in book view resizes the ui elements/toolbar
Yes it does seem to. Doubt that's changeable, although seems ok to me.

Quote:
[*]If you paste with an empty clipboard, you will paste an &nbsp; and then it highlights the rest of the node or until a special character. This highlighted area is not a true selection and you are required to manually select it to clear the highlighting.
Sounds like the Qt highlighting bug - although how are you getting an empty clipboard?

Quote:
[*]Navigating the cursor past some tags, headings in specific ends up with rubber banding unless you hold down the key.
Not sure what you mean. Moving by cursor across headings seems ok, at least in Ubuntu 12.04.

Quote:
[*]XML <!--comments--> entered into the editor break nodes and pollute nearby tags. This does not happen in all tags, but lists for example break, other times it is correctly escaped and sometimes it is padded with other comments (i.e <!--StartFragment-->&lt;!-- Derp --&gt;<!--EndFragment-->). A very edge case, sure but it showed up when I opened a bunch of old converted notes.
Do you have an example epub to check?

Quote:
Request : Could the validation pane be made dockable with other containers - it eats quite a bit of vertical space; and allowing it to dock onto the side panels (as they currently support) would be nice. At the moment it's actually pretty hard to even get it back to its old place once you've got it floating.
I don't know about being dockable, but opening closing it is easy. Just shrink the validation window at the bottom (drag the bar to lower its height), then double click on its titlebar to open it undocked. Change it to whatever size you want. Then double-click the titlebar again to re-dock it. If you undock again it keeps its undocked size.

Last edited by meme; 06-09-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #27
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
+1

That's what I use most, also
I need this feature as well.

@User_none, meme: If it doesn't update automatically, why not make an update button as in Internet-browsers
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Unbenannt.bmp (134.4 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by mmat1; 06-09-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #28
meme
Sigil developer

It will be changed to update automatically once there is time to work on it.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #29
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Saving a file

Do not save the file if the path has a name with an accent.
For example: C: \ Edición \xxx.epub
Old 06-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #30
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Just installed the beta and so far any problems but am noticing something when I look at a page on Book View.

Along the top of every page I get the following Code appearing:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
It's not appearing with every book I've opened in sigil. It normally appears when I open a book that I haven't made myself. Looking in Code View, I don't see this line anywhere on the page.

Could this be because the doctype declaration isn't in those books? Therefore this is letting me know I've not got it in the page?
Closed Thread