Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 AM   #16
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
I like best underground mining or caches of treasure like dwarfs in Tolkien.

afterwards I like exploring or climbing underground.

do not like underwater during underground -- most dangerous and scary.
I do not do that!
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post

I do not do that!
I am an over the water type fellow myself. Breathing when I want is important to me.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Metro 2033 takes place almost exclusively in Russian subway tunnels if you're into a post-apocalyptic scifi book. It wasn't my favourite book, but the setting was compelling.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #19
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Metro 2033 takes place almost exclusively in Russian subway tunnels if you're into a post-apocalyptic scifi book. It wasn't my favourite book, but the setting was compelling.
I admit I must have missed that one.
I will check it out.

That's a book and a game?

Last edited by frahse; 03-21-2013 at 11:48 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I admit I must have missed that one.
I will check it out.

That's a book and a game?
The game was based on the Russian scifi novel of the same name.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I skimmed maybe 30 - 40 pages. Is interesting, like you say, with the infrastructure and the environment. Probably more later about the surface.
On the other hand, I would consider Dmitrys writing weak so far.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I do not do that!
I have seen action. A lot,a long time ago, it seems now, but still quite memorable.

Still some of the movies I have seen where they are underwater and their gear gets hung up in this tiny little cave and they can't go back or forward makes me squirm in my seat.
In another movie, these girls were lost down in a cavern though not underwater and squeezing through tiny holes and the mutated denizens of the caves who were blind were pulling at their feet.

That would give me nightmares. DAYmares!

Last edited by SeaKing; 03-22-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #23
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I have seen action. A lot,a long time ago, it seems now, but still quite memorable.

Still some of the movies I have seen where they are underwater and their gear gets hung up in this tiny little cave and they can't go back or forward makes me squirm in my seat.
In another movie, these girls were lost down in a cavern though not underwater and squeezing through tiny holes and the mutated denizens of the caves who were blind were pulling at their feet.

That would give me nightmares. DAYmares!
sometimes hire people to dive submerged mines and tunnels and equipment when flooded
brave crazy men but pay very good
drink a lot but test before dive
drug test every day or two
carelessness kills, safety first

flooded mine dangerous
soil soft, things shift, drift
visibility sometimes nothing
Old 04-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #24
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
I got out to about 145 pages but then I could predict what was going to happen (over and over) and it was starting to make my mind mushy so I put it down. On that pile of "a waste of further time." Maybe forever.

Still, I liked some of the ideas.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #25
forsooth
tec montage

Quote:
I too will read this
Old 04-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #26
forsooth
tec montage

Quote:
sometimes hire people to dive submerged mines and tunnels and equipment when flooded
brave crazy men but pay very good
drink a lot but test before dive
drug test every day or two
carelessness kills, safety first

flooded mine dangerous
soil soft, things shift, drift
visibility sometimes nothing
very tricky rescue miners in flooded mines
standard methods can be disastrous
Old 04-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #27
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
very tricky rescue miners in flooded mines
standard methods can be disastrous
At sea, we have similar situations. People trapped under water. Sometimes alive sometimes dead. Divers have to check to see which and then act.

I have heard the stories. Pretty scary.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #28
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I've never read Murder on the Orient Express, but it should fit the bill!

As I recall, A Coffin for Demetrius has a suspenseful chapter set on a train.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #29
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
At sea, we have similar situations. People trapped under water. Sometimes alive sometimes dead. Divers have to check to see which and then act.

I have heard the stories. Pretty scary.
The Terrible Hours by Peter Maas is a terrific account of a real-life submarine rescue.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #30
frahse
occasional author

"tap, tap, tap ..."