Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Who owns the electronic rights?

Since there has been talk here of scanning pbooks that 1) have already been published, but 2) are not available as ebooks, I have been wondering who owns what rights. Is it the author or publisher? For instance, if I were to scan in a book published in paper format by publisher XYZ that was written by author ABC, could I legally scan the pbook, send the scanned version of the book to the author, and that author then legally sell the ebook?

Enquiring (sic) minds want to know!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It should be the copyright holder (which can be difficult to determine), and it will depend on what agreements or contracts have been applied to the whole mess: i.e. whether those contracts might be exclusive, specifically mention e-books, etc. I think the boilerplate copyright notice would cover e-versions too, you know "may not be reproduced, in part or in whole, without ...."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
A contract I just signed for a (non-fiction) book states that I retain copyright, which is fairly typical, but then I license my work to the publisher. As it happens, I have a non-exclusive contract. This isn't always the case. So even if the author holds copyright, they may have licensed all production exclusively to a particular publisher (or multiple publishers in different countries).
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As both NatCh and nekokami have said, it is all in the agreement between the author (or their agent) and the publisher. Sometimes it is restricted to only a pbook in a single country, sometimes it is all rights. Film rights are sometimes given, sometimes not. Many of the older contracts did not envision ebooks and their status is the domain of lawyers. ("If you have a problem, get a lawyer. You still have the problem; but, at leat now you've got a lawyer." -- Groucho Marx)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
And a bill, don't forget the bill.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert