Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
TonytheBookworm
Addict
TonytheBookworm is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 2, kindle 3, Kindle fire
Keep only newest news feed downloaded?

I was wondering. Is there a way to force calibre to delete old news feeds? I noticed on the scheduler it says delete more than 1 day; however, I can't seem to get it to work the way I assume it should. I notice I will have news feeds dated for instance sept 9 then 10th and 11th.

My question is more of this: Is there a way to make it only keep the latest instance of a news feed regardless of the date. Like look at the modification date/time and only keep the newest one? I take and download news feeds for like the ajc and so forth several times throughout the day and find myself having to manually delete the old ones in the process.

If the option doesn't exist would it be possible to implement in a future release?
Thanks.
TonytheBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The delete downloaded news older than x days option should do the trick for you. Is it not working when you set it to 1?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
TonytheBookworm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The delete downloaded news older than x days option should do the trick for you. Is it not working when you set it to 1?
That is correct is leaving the other feeds in there that have later dates. I will try reinstalling calibre and see what happens. is there something other than
Delete downloaded news older than 1 days located in the fetch news section, that I could be overlooking?

Thanks for your reply.

p.s. notice the associated press listing and its dates
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre cap.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	58079  

Last edited by TonytheBookworm; 09-11-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added screenshot
Old 09-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
if the re-install doesn't fix it, open a bug report and I will hav a look when I have the time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Spankypoo
Enthusiast
Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spankypoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Myriad
Yeah is there a way to specify that it just keep the most recent? I have some stuff set to fetch daily, others weekly, etc.
Spankypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheBookworm View Post
My question is more of this: Is there a way to make it only keep the latest instance of a news feed regardless of the date.
This may not apply but have you tried the options for news feeds under Preferences - Interface - Behavior? See Attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	behavior.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	58091  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
TonytheBookworm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This may not apply but have you tried the options for news feeds under Preferences - Interface - Behavior? See Attached.
Yeah, I have used that before (had forgot about it actually thanks for reminding me). And and update after a reboot it is working fine now. Guess all it needed was a kickstart haha
Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
HaoleKai
Enthusiast
HaoleKai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
A really nice enhancement would be either of the following two ideas:

1. Add the function "Delete news from library when it is automatically sent to reader" - as an option in each newsfeed so it's an individual newsfeed setting rather than a global one.

2. Add the function "Delete downloaded news older than x days" as an option in each newsfeed, again so it's per newsfeed and not a global setting.

I don't know if either is an easy change, but they would be nice to have.
HaoleKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:01 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Any requests for enhancement should be done by raising a ticket as otherwise they tend to get lost under the volume of messages in this forum.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Any requests for enhancement should be done by raising a ticket as otherwise they tend to get lost under the volume of messages in this forum.
And Kovid really appreciates it if you will search first to see if the request has already been made. I know similar requests have been made, if not exactly the same things. If you're repeating an earlier request, it just adds to his workload to mark yours as a duplicate. If you find the same request, you can just add a comment that you'd like to see the same feature. If you find a similar request, explain how you think your request would be better, etc. He'll see any new posts.

Of course, the very best is to post some code that Kovid can just use without having to write it himself.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
HaoleKai
Enthusiast
HaoleKai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks itimpi and Starson17

I searched, and while I found other similar comments in the forum, I couldn't find anything else even close in the tickets area, so I added two.

Thanks for the help!
HaoleKai is offline   Reply With Quote