Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
2eternity
2eternity began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle compatible, read out load. wi-fi?

I want to get an e-reader that is Kindle compatible but also able to speak the text out loud and take PDF files.
If it was Wi Fi that would be great but I have a laptop that meets all my needs.
Which is you favorite e-reader

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-29-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Fixed Kimble/Kindle typo
2eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
What do you mean by Kindle-compatible (I assume that Kimble is a typo for Kindle)? Do you mean reading non-DRM .mobi books, or reading Amazon books? If Amazon books, and you want to read PDF files, too, I would recommend a tablet. Larger size and better PDF support. And you can install any reader app you want, including the Kindle app.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
2eternity
2eternity began at the beginning.

Device: none
Tablet

I'm behind on technology so excuse my excessive questions. Tablets can connect to the internet without any connections (Wi-Fi)? Do you have to pay anyone for this service?

Do tablets have keypads that you can actually type on or are they too small?

Yes, I just want to read Amazon books. I don't know what DRM is.

Most tablets don't have any memory, right? Then how do you store Amazon books you've already downloaded?

What brand do you recommend? Which is most durable? My laptops have always given out because of hardware problems.

I would really appreciate your answer.
2eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Tablets have on-screen keyboards. Some are probably easier to type on than others. The iPad one isn't too bad.

You can just download the Kindle app to read Amazon books.

Tablets all have memory so that you can store books, movies, photos, music, etc. Usually they come in different sizes, like 32Gb, 64Gb, etc. Pick what you think you'll need. . Some also have SD cards that you can use for extra storage. Many do not have SD cards, though.

I have an iPad and like it a lot, but they are quite a bit more expensive than some other options. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite tablets.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you have a laptop youcan download Kindle for PC or Mac, depending on the lap top, and read Amazon books that way.

I love my iPad but I don't read on it, I use a PW2 for reading
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If you have a laptop youcan download Kindle for PC or Mac, depending on the lap top, and read Amazon books that way.
Yes, but you can't do text-to-speech with the desktop apps AFAIK. Unless maybe there's a way to do it with a third party app. Also AFAIK Kindle for Android doesn't have this feature yet either.

For text-to-speech (read out loud) for Amazon/Kindle books the options I know of are...
An iPad with the Kindle app using the Apple "voice over" feature
An older model Kindle Keyboard or Kindle Touch (wouldn't recommend for most PDF's)
A current model Kindle Fire HD or HDX (or last years HD, not sure on other old models).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2eternity View Post
I'm behind on technology so excuse my excessive questions. Tablets can connect to the internet without any connections (Wi-Fi)? Do you have to pay anyone for this service?
All tablets can connect with WiFi. Some tablets also offer a cellular connection through a 3G or 4G service which you pay extra for.

Quote:
Do tablets have keypads that you can actually type on or are they too small?
Usually a tablet's onscreen keyboard is the width of the devices screen, never had any trouble typing on one myself.

Quote:
I don't know what DRM is.
DRM is Digital Rights Management. What many would refer to as copy protection.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/DRM#Overview

Quote:
Most tablets don't have any memory, right? Then how do you store Amazon books you've already downloaded?
All tablets have memory. In this case I'm assuming you mean memory for storage space and yes they'll usually offer various amounts of space to choose from.

Quote:
What brand do you recommend?
For the text-to-speech you're wanting I'd recommend a Kindle Fire or one of the iPad models. Text-to-speech works well on the Fire's, not sure how it works on the iPads.

Here's an example of it on one of the Fire's...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle K4, Kobo mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab
I am looking for a new ereader too and Kacir recommended the PocketBook touch lux 623. I intend to order it very soon. It can read text out loud and has many more useful features. I have a tablet too but tablets are much heavier to hold than the vast majority of ereaders. However a tablet is better for reading PDF files, because the tablets screen is normally much bigger.
PS You can get very useful help on many of your questions from Youtube.
Bertolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kimble-compatiblle, pdf, speeker