Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #1
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Cool reader and E-Book reader differences?

I have a Bebook V3 and have been using OI for about a year now. I'm currently using version 0.2.2. Generally very happy with it. I pretty much only use epub format these days and up till now I've always just opened the file using the default epub reader which seems to be called "E-book reader".

Currently I'm reading The Evolutionary Void by Peter Hamilton and I've noticed some issues. The indents at the start of each paragraph were not being displayed. Also, the text seemed to be aligned to the left with a ragged right edge rather than being justified. I had all the normal settings so I have no idea why it was being displayed this way. Using E-book reader everything written in italics was displayed in italics.

So I opened it with Coolreader. Now the text is justified and the paragraph indents are displayed. Good stuff. Unfortunately anything in italics is not being displayed in italics but instead in regular type.

So can anyone explain why coolreader and E-Book reader display the same epub file in two different ways in OI?

I've also noticed that more often than not the italics in epub files are not displayed in italics for some reason. Even when using the default reader. I was actually a little surprised to seem them displayed in The Evolutionary Void. Once I got used to seeing them again I now really miss them.

Also, can anyone suggest a firmware for the Bebook that I might try that could resolve these issues?

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 11-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now an update.

I've just tried to open the book in the default reader and it wont open. It will only open in coolreader now.

In fact, none of my epub files seem to open in the default reader now. They will only open if I long press the number and then choose ""open with CoolReader3".

So what the heck might be going on?

Cheers,
PKFFW
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Recommend a visit to http://mybebook.com/forum/
Old 11-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
PKFFW
Wizard

Thanks jbcohen, I've posted on the bebook forum too.

The second problem, about epubs only opening in coolreader is resolved. I did a hard reset with a pin in the back and that fixed the problem.

I'd still like to know why Cool reader and ebook reader display the same file in two different ways. Anyone got any idea? Is it likely to be an OI specific thing or would it likely occur in any firmware that uses the coolreader and/or ebook reader software?

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 11-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
I have some epub files that display differently in the two readers and I suspect that it has something to do with the internal css files in the epubs - fbreader (the default reader) seems to use them (or a part of them at least). This way, one file I had displayed all the paragraphs as centered and I couldn't override it, while coolreader showed it as I wanted.

I might be wrong about the reason, though. It's only my impression.

Last edited by idle; 11-21-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typo
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
So can anyone explain why coolreader and E-Book reader display the same epub file in two different ways in OI?
FBReader supports only a subset of the CSS allowed in an ePub. CoolReader supports a different (likely larger) subset of the allowed CSS. Both have limitations for ePubs. One I think they share is that they don't display SVG (vector graphics).
Old 11-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
PKFFW
Wizard

Thanks for the reply guys.

Does anyone know which firmware for the Bebook 1 would display epub files as closely as possible to the way they appear in Sigil?

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 11-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Thanks for the reply guys.

Does anyone know which firmware for the Bebook 1 would display epub files as closely as possible to the way they appear in Sigil?

Cheers,
PKFFW
The best bet is to use ADE which is the main ePUB reader used in all readers these days. Compare the ADE on your PC with the output from Sigil and ensure that that works and displays well. Then when you transfer to your device it will likely work well.

Dale
Old 11-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Compare the ADE on your PC with the output from Sigil and ensure that that works and displays well.
I suggest using Sony Desktop Reader Library, rather than Desktop ADE, because it implements the mobile ADE used in EInk readers. Another option is Nook Study which also seems to use mobile ADE.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
PKFFW
Wizard

Thanks guys. I'll find a firmware that does ADE and give it a go.

Cheers,
PKFFW