Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 05:56 AM   #61
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
carpetmojo... as long as you're talking USB PSUs then pretty much yes, stop worrying unless the physical construction looks rubbish or it's badly worn... frayed wires, cracked cases/plugs etc are always cause for worry...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #62
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Wall chargers presumably different ?

Due, perhaps, to all that nasty, much stronger electricity that comes out of the plasterboard ? ( A fear of my dear departed Auntie, who would never boil a kettle in any room but the kitchen, 'cos the walls were thinner in the rest of the house...)
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #63
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If, by wall charger, you mean chargers that don't use USB connectors such as barrel connectors and others then, yes, I'm afraid you still have to pay close attention to all those nice little numbers to make sure they match... key is voltage out from PSU = voltage required by device and current provided by charger is equal to or more than that required by device.

Device V = Charger V
Device A (mA) =< Charger A (mA)
Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #64
Bvelleko
Bvelleko began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
If, by wall charger, you mean chargers that don't use USB connectors such as barrel connectors and others then, yes, I'm afraid you still have to pay close attention to all those nice little numbers to make sure they match... key is voltage out from PSU = voltage required by device and current provided by charger is equal to or more than that required by device.

Device V = Charger V
Device A (mA) =< Charger A (mA)
That's why I always charge trough USB and only buy stuff that supports that. And yes I know that USB power trough my computer is the same as USB power trough an AC adapter. USB is USB
Bvelleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #65
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvelleko View Post
That's why I always charge trough USB and only buy stuff that supports that. And yes I know that USB power trough my computer is the same as USB power trough an AC adapter. USB is USB
Actually computer USB is one of the exceptions... not all motherboards provide the right power and some setups are just underpowered... if the computer has, for example, 6 USB ports then the total power should be 3A (6x500mA) but manufacturers often don't supply this, gambling on the fact that many external devices are self-powered rather than bus-powered so you can end up with incorrect power conditions. Other problems include computers going to sleep when unattended so the USB drains rather than charges etc. Dedicated chargers are generally far more reliable and can often charge a device more quickly by supplying more than 500mA...
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #66
anamarg
anamarg began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-650
not charging?

I everyone!

I just got a new sony PRS-650, because it seemed to be the best one to read pdfs... I am really sad, because I put it to charge, on the computer usb, the red light comes on but there is no display at all! In the start guide it says that it could take around 5 minutes, but I have been waiting for more than an hour now. The red line is still on. Did this happen to anyone? or do you think it is broken?

Ana
anamarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:59 AM   #67
savethebutterfly
Nameless Being

Ana, did your reader eventually come to life? It can take a while for the first charge. I cannot remember what exactly happened with mine but it didn't take very long for the display to come up, saying the reader was charging. I did buy it the day it was released so maybe my battery was still quite charged up.